Triage Consulting Group Reviews

Reset
5.0
Triage Consulting Group CEO Brian Neece
Brian Neece

Pros
  • The work-life balance is phenomenal for consulting and the company really cares about the well-being of its people (in 30 reviews)

• Tons of fun stuff--happy hours, teambuilding, paid volunteer time, team events (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • The work is 10% Consulting and 90% arguing with insurance companies about collections (in 11 reviews)

• Promotions are primarily based on time rather than accomplishments (in 3 reviews)

1. Featured Review

Great opportunity for college grads

Current Employee - Senior Associate in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Triage Consulting Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Accelerated career track: Most of your first year at Triage is spent learning (how to use our Access database, billing guidelines, industry information, client perspective). For me, that didn't mean just making phone calls all day, but everyone has a different experience based on your project mix. From 12-21 months you are given more client-facing responsibilities and get to train/manage newer employees. From 21 months on (if you have gotten solid evaluations) you are leading your own team. I don't think I could have gotten to a project manager role this quickly at many other jobs out of school. And I rarely call insurance companies anymore... The people: I've made great friends that I'll keep for life. I've made great connections with people that moved on to other companies (built-in networking). There are very few people that I've not enjoyed working with. No 'politics': Until Manager promotions, which are 5 years in and only affect a handful of people, you don't need to pull any House of Cards moves to succeed. If you are good to work with and produce a good work product, you will be promoted - simple as that.

Cons

Diversity?: This is a common subject in reviews lately so I should touch on it. I'm not a minority, but I'm not from an upper middle class, greek, sports background. Trust me when I say you can find your people no matter what your background is. I think we aim to hire younger, ambitious, friendly, and capable people, and that's part of why our culture is so great. Not sure this is the diversity crisis it's painted to be; I would chalk it up to the immaturity of some recent college grads. A lot of our events end with/focus on drinking beer, but I don't see that as very different from my friends' companies... Burnout: If you aren't willing to put in the time on the front end to learn the work, you probably won't stay long enough to be Senior and reap the benefits (proj management experience, great pay for the hours worked). For most people this is their first job out of college so I would think this is a standard concept... Merit: If you are a high performer, you are rewarded with more work (which can be great experience/exposure) but no extra pay and few perks. This works for the ambitious go-getters but I know it rubs some people the wrong way. There is a lingering feeling of being replaceable at any time (and it's mostly true, a result of the hiring model) which also makes some high performers uncomfortable.

Advice to Management

Some employees will always complain/push for more from you, which is probably necessary for an organization to move forward. However, when something can't happen, we at least appreciate when you justify why and show some transparency. Often there is a business reason that isn't obvious to us and whenever you communicate your organizational perspective in a clear way, you earn trust with your employees. This happens sometimes, but the more the better. Also, Yammer is pretty weird.

2. Great place to work

Former Employee - Associate in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Associate in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Triage Consulting Group full-time

Pros

Triage has great perks like lunch allowance for out of town work, Friday happy hours, baseball games at ATT park and company events. They encourage a good work life balance, and once you leave work, you do not work, which is something I really appreciated after my last two jobs. The office is also in a beautiful location!

Cons

The work can get monotonous and there is little room for promotion, other than Senior Associate and then Manager, which both of these take years to reach.

Great company -- work experience, leadership opportunity, and balanced lifestyle in a fun environment.

Current Employee - Senior Associate in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Triage Consulting Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I see what some comments say about the daily work being a "con", but I encourage people to think bigger picture. There is time on the phone and tedious parts of the day, but you get so much more than just phone skills you can use to negotiating your cable bill. You get: leadership roles as early as 21 months, exposure to C-level hospital clients, exposure to internal management, "extracurricular" event planning and involvement if you want, and extensive formal and informal training giving young college grads real life business experience. The compensation package as a whole (salary + benefits + VTO + PTO...) is fair and there are opportunities for increases and bonuses at certain milestones. I think that anyone who leaves Triage (especially early on) because they don't like the work will find that most jobs have parts that are more and less desirable. Once you factor in the people you work with, the environment both here in the office and on the road, and the mentoring and support, and the value we add to the hospitals we work for, the reasons for working at Triage outweigh the reasons not to -- especially if you keep your focus on the big picture.

Cons

I think Triage's conservative nature causes it to be a bit reactionary to avoidable issues (shortage of office space, shortage of staff). I know that budgeting and risk assessments go into these decisions but it would be reassuring to see a more proactive attitude about some of the problems that we see year after year.

Excellent place to work. Great people, experience, and work-life balance.

I worked at Triage Consulting Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Culture: Triage has an exceptional work environment. My colleagues were hard-working, fun, and extremely supportive. They have been able to maintain a very collaborative culture and emphasize strong work-life balance. A 45-55 hour workweek can be expected regardless of what level you reach at the company. Professional Development: Triage invests heavily in its employees from a training/professional development standpoint. Furthermore, you get great management/client-facing experience at a very young age. Very few companies will let you manage multi-million dollar engagements between the ages of 23-25. The project management and staff development experience is extremely valuable. Network: The Triage network is very tight-knit. You will get to know a very vibrant, diverse group of people who will go on to be successful in a hundred different ways, both inside and outside of healthcare. Triage is a great place to build a career, and can also be a great steppingstone for whatever else you'd like to get into outside of healthcare finance.

Cons

Mundane work: Triage's breadth of services is fairly narrow, and can be very mundane. If you don't enjoy the work, it can be a grind sometimes and the learning curve can level-off for long stretches between promotions. No pay for performance: Triage's promotion track, salaries, and bonuses are all static - at present, there is no mechanism in place to financially reward company superstars. They do not incentivize people to excel which makes it difficult for their most talented people to stay.

Advice to Management

For the most part, well done - keep doing what you're doing. My one piece of advice would be to work on some sort of merit-based compensation. Whether that's increased bonuses, accelerated promotion tracks, or being more willing to allow really talented people to take their careers within Triage in an alternative direction where they could really drive a lot of value (e.g., technical applications, Legal Services, practice development, etc). I think it may go a long way towards motivating staff and keeping morale high as people would really feel like they are rewarded for going above and beyond.

Triage is a great place to start one's career with strong career development opportunities and an amazing culture.

Former Employee - Senior Associate in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Triage Consulting Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great opportunity to manage a team early in your career and overall career development opportunities. Strong work/life balance. Team-oriented culture that is a fun place to work. I made lifelong friends at Triage. Company was a great springboard into a top business school and a rewarding career in Healthcare post-MBA.

Cons

The work of a first year associate can be monotonous. Compensation is lower than most consulting opportunities (was the case in 2011), but there is a generous PTO policy and better balance than industry norm. Depending on the project, there can be a significant amount of travel.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

Best First Job Ever!

Former Employee - Senior Associate in San Francisco, CA

Pros

-Unbelievably welcoming, inclusive, and fun culture -Lots of professional development opportunities -Great place for client interfacing and travel opportunities -Great pay, vacation, and benefits for a first job -Good management experience for young professionals (managing own team by 24) -The company has lots of young professionals who set great examples of how to carry yourself professionally

Cons

-The work can get a little monotonous and repetitive leading to long days -They do not promote early giving you little incentive to work harder than usual

Advice to Management

-Find ways to outsource follow-up... it's pretty boring

Great company with fun young professionals.

Current Employee - Associate Consultant in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Associate Consultant in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Triage Consulting Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great experience and transition for right out of college. Traveling with your team is a lot of fun. Pay is competitive with other consulting companies. Majority of employees are young adults, very social. Very interesting work - not many companies out there do healthcare consulting. Great transparency from senior management. Company is growing very fast.

Cons

45 hours a week salary and no overtime, have to earn your PTO (tough in the beginning for those who start late fall and want to take multiple days off for holidays, but after a few months super easy). Steep learning curve (but there is a lot of training)

Great place to launch your career

I worked at Triage Consulting Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people are what make this company a great place to work. They are motivated, energetic, self starters, who care about creating and maintaining a great company culture even as the company grows. The promotion track is fast, so you can be managing teams and large projects very early on in your career.

Cons

The work can be tedious and mind-numbing at times, and if you aren't interested in staying in the healthcare industry it can be hard to get a comparable job in a different industry, which is why a lot of people leave Triage to get their MBA.

A great company that gives young employees lot of responsibility and opportunity!

I have been working at Triage Consulting Group full-time

Pros

Triage has an amazing company culture: smart, young, motivated, interesting new hires get to learn and grow and eventually manage teams and squads. The organization provides a lot of opportunities to work with different types of people and team sizes and to interact with upper managements and with clients. Plus you get to fully manage projects quite early on. The promotion system works, you need experience in the firm to move up, and the evaluation process pushes everyone to seek to exceed expectations. Top Triage Pros: - Great company to work for out of college. - Mid-size company with an open-door policy that has a lot of sway in the world of healthcare. - Very smart workforce that's becoming increasingly diverse in terms of regions and schools represented - Opportunity to advance up and get to run teams and train younger Associates - Travel, team events, company events: you can't deny Triage has maintained it's strong culture focused on balance and fun and it makes it very hard to leave. A lot of people make some of their best lifelong friends at Triage. - Internal opportunities (squad leadership, trainings, recruiting involvement, rotations such as Legal and Clinical) allow those that want to take on additional leadership roles.

Cons

The works definitely gets monotonous, but, there is always a way to find someway to get into something new, whether it's aiming for a rotation or getting really involved in a squad. The repetition eventually weighs most people down, but, those that want to can make Triage their own. The travel opportunities are declining and the company hasn't changed enough of the "in town" perks to accommodate, even though profits are out the roof and only continue to grow. Main Triage cons: - While salaries have increased slightly, the company has room to re-examine the bonus structure, and should. As company profits continue to increase, the bonuses don't necessarily match and yet more and more Seniors and Associates are putting in extra hours and committing to additional work. - The company has a lot of amazing alumni that go off to great graduate schools and move into upper level positions after Triage, yet there isn't a culture of promoting alumni advancement outside the company (like supporting time off for graduate school applications) even though those alums are future connections, clients, partnerships, etc. that only make the Triage name stronger.

Advice to Management

Keep being awesome. Keep the culture. Be open to change. Re-think the potential to hire some roles from the outside, the company can use some new perspectives. Don't give up on the importance of "career development." Give Associates more room to get creative. Re-think investing into your employees' long-term goals.

11. Wonderful training opportunities with fantastic people

I worked at Triage Consulting Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great healthcare experience Good benefits Fantastic and ambitious co-workers

Cons

Strict career progression Management slow to implement changes

Advice to Management

Don't be afraid to grow this company faster

RSS Feed </> Embed