Triage Consulting Group Reviews

Reset
3.3
Triage Consulting Group CEO Brian Neece
Brian Neece

Pros
  • The work-life balance is phenomenal for consulting and the company really cares about the well-being of its people (in 30 reviews)

• Tons of fun stuff--happy hours, teambuilding, paid volunteer time, team events (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • The work is 10% Consulting and 90% arguing with insurance companies about collections (in 11 reviews)

• Promotions are primarily based on time rather than accomplishments (in 3 reviews)

1. Featured Review

Great opportunity for college grads

Current Employee - Senior Associate in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Associate in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Triage Consulting Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Accelerated career track: Most of your first year at Triage is spent learning (how to use our Access database, billing guidelines, industry information, client perspective). For me, that didn't mean just making phone calls all day, but everyone has a different experience based on your project mix. From 12-21 months you are given more client-facing responsibilities and get to train/manage newer employees. From 21 months on (if you have gotten solid evaluations) you are leading your own team. I don't think I could have gotten to a project manager role this quickly at many other jobs out of school. And I rarely call insurance companies anymore... The people: I've made great friends that I'll keep for life. I've made great connections with people that moved on to other companies (built-in networking). There are very few people that I've not enjoyed working with. No 'politics': Until Manager promotions, which are 5 years in and only affect a handful of people, you don't need to pull any House of Cards moves to succeed. If you are good to work with and produce a good work product, you will be promoted - simple as that.

Cons

Diversity?: This is a common subject in reviews lately so I should touch on it. I'm not a minority, but I'm not from an upper middle class, greek, sports background. Trust me when I say you can find your people no matter what your background is. I think we aim to hire younger, ambitious, friendly, and capable people, and that's part of why our culture is so great. Not sure this is the diversity crisis it's painted to be; I would chalk it up to the immaturity of some recent college grads. A lot of our events end with/focus on drinking beer, but I don't see that as very different from my friends' companies... Burnout: If you aren't willing to put in the time on the front end to learn the work, you probably won't stay long enough to be Senior and reap the benefits (proj management experience, great pay for the hours worked). For most people this is their first job out of college so I would think this is a standard concept... Merit: If you are a high performer, you are rewarded with more work (which can be great experience/exposure) but no extra pay and few perks. This works for the ambitious go-getters but I know it rubs some people the wrong way. There is a lingering feeling of being replaceable at any time (and it's mostly true, a result of the hiring model) which also makes some high performers uncomfortable.

Advice to Management

Some employees will always complain/push for more from you, which is probably necessary for an organization to move forward. However, when something can't happen, we at least appreciate when you justify why and show some transparency. Often there is a business reason that isn't obvious to us and whenever you communicate your organizational perspective in a clear way, you earn trust with your employees. This happens sometimes, but the more the better. Also, Yammer is pretty weird.

The best consulting job you could possibly have out of college

Current Employee - Associate Consultant in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Great teamwork on the job site, and the emphasis on continued training is huge. The company consists of young, bright, attractive people recently out of college and determined to work hard and play hard. Also, there is great opportunity for interaction with upper management, and I know many of the managers and principles on a personal basis, even after working there only 4 months.

Cons

As the company grows, it is starting to experience less of the close, personal feel it has enjoyed over the past 14 years. Also, after learning how to complete all your job tasks, you aren't presented with many new responsibilities until your first promotion, which occurs at 21 months

Advice to Management

Provide more leadership opportunities for experienced associates, before they hit their Senior Associate promotion

3. Triage Associate

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Great to enter with a class of smart, outgoing individuals with similar backgrounds. You learn skills very quickly and feel the sense of accomplishment

Cons

Whether this is a pro or con, I have yet to decide; You can't get away from the Triage environment. Working at Triage is not only a job, it's a lifestyle.

Advice to Management

Doing a great job. Great training program and path for career development. Great work life balance. Amazing people to work with.

5. Our clients love us. This is an atypical emotion in business, much less consulting.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Triage Consulting Group full-time

Pros

We have a hands-on approach to the way we conduct business which allows us to have a direct connection with our clients, co-workers and members of our community. Everyone who comes in our path tells us, time and time again, how much they are touched by us.

Cons

Because we must sift through and manipulate a great deal of data, part of the work can be repetitive, especially at the entry level.

6. Great place to build a foundation of healthcare knowledge and project management, client service & business skills.

Current Employee - Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Triage Consulting Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The employees and career development opportunities are the best parts of Triage. There is constant training in the first 2 years with the training modules and by rotating projects every 4-6 months for exposure to different clients, hospitals, and business challenges. Triage is an open, knowledge-sharing company that encourages creative thinking and communication. If you work hard and like the work you will progress in your career. Squad opportunities also add value to each employee's development and experience. Lifelong friends are made here.

Cons

Working in teams presents challenges at times in Triage's team-oriented environment. The travel also wears on employees over time.

7. Triage provides a positive, culture driven work environment

I have been working at Triage Consulting Group full-time

Pros

-Open communication across all levels -Young, energetic company with fun supportive culture -Socially responsible -Lots of feedback on career development -Defined career path

Cons

-Company generally takes a conservative approach to new initiatives, can at times be viewed as slow -Many eggs are in one basket (niche business) -Not as much travel as there used to be

Advice to Management

-Continue listening to, and acting on, employee feedback

Great place to start!

I have been working at Triage Consulting Group full-time

Pros

Triage is an awesome place to start working out of undergrad. Its culture, accelerated career path, location, travel opportunities, and volunteer opportunities, and make it fun and challenging during an exciting time to be in the healthcare industry. This is a great place to start for someone interested in hospital management.

Cons

Triage calls Associates consultants; however they are more like auditors with a few opportunities to consult (i.e. recommend solutions). Decreased travel opportunities allows less opportunity for client face time. Also business casual in the office is unnecessary, and they could really step up the food perks in the office.

Advice to Management

Add focus on industry education for employees. Consultants are experts at reimbursement issues, but are often lost when it comes to anything else Healthcare related.

Good experience right out of college

Former Employee - Senior Associate in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Associate in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Triage Consulting Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people are great. The experience gained was great.

Cons

Limited scope of consulting engagements

Advice to Management

Keep the small company feel

Great people & great exposure to the business side of health care

Current Employee - Associate Consultant in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Triage Consulting Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The company cares about its employees and treats them very well. The people are young, friendly, and supportive Management is accessible and supportive Great work/life balance Good hours, rarely out after 6:30, and flexible hours Living in San Francisco is amazing Good corporate values

Cons

Narrow industry. Triage deals almost exclusively with insurance and hospitals to recover lost revenue. Not much experience if one wants to pursue different type of consulting or make sustainable improvements to our healthcare system.

Excellent people coupled with leadership experience make Triage a great place to work.

Current Employee - Senior Associate Consultant in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Associate Consultant in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Triage Consulting Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The work environment is non-competitive. Employees are intelligent, engaging, and fun to be around!

Cons

The work can be monotonous.

RSS Feed </> Embed