Tribal DDB Reviews

Updated September 3, 2014
2.8

Tribal DDB CEO Paul Gunning
Paul Gunning

Pros
  • Great jobs and projects with great people (in 8 reviews)

• Good clients, interesting projects, like to push the envelope on technology when possible (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • The long hours are quite a killer for some of the creatives, putting aside your personal life is a norm rather than an exception (in 8 reviews)

• The president has no idea how to run an agency and no one respects him- hence, bad work (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Super nice and fun environment with good energy

Current Employee - Analyst
    Current Employee - Analyst

I have been working at Tribal DDB

Pros

It seems everyone who did not like it here has left leaving those who really want to be here, here. There are a lot of new people and they all seem knowledge. The leads are helpful and provide guidance when asked. Everyone is really really nice and sweet. The office has fun events, in office happy hours, bagel days and kind bars. The office has a real nice energy. I love it here.

Cons

The office is under going construction but it should be great and brand new once it is done.

Make sure to appreciate those who are here because they truly care about their work from what I have seen.

Limited growth and opportunities, lack of accountability

Current Employee - Account  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Account in New York, NY

I have been working at Tribal DDB full-time for more than a year

Pros

It's a very casual environment. Drinks every Wednesday.

Cons

An awkward vibe. There are too many people who don't do their job, causing people who care to constantly have to pick up slack. Leadership's response is well we don't want to scare away the only xyz we have. So everyone suffers because they can't recruit and retain talent? Poor management. The president has no idea how to run an agency and no one respects him- hence, bad work. Heavy CYA paranoia culture by a handful that spreads to team members, distracting from creating good work. Suck ups get promoted despite work performance,

Communicate with your employees. No one knows what the direction and vision is. People spend time speculating and doing bare minimum because they don't know what's happening and the growth opportunity for them. Nothing will improve until a new leader/president is in place.

There is promise

I have been working at Tribal DDB full-time

Pros

Nice, talented people.
    Big name and reputation.
    Start-up feel - allows employees to get more knowledge and experience in other areas of the agency

Cons

lack of accountability. However, this is changing.
    lack of teamwork
    Leads pass off their work for everyone else to do, which would be fine if there was more mentorship, or recognition

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Unambitious

I worked at Tribal DDB full-time for more than a year

Pros

Management, outside of nosey account folk, is so uninvolved, talent from junior to senior levels have free reign over process and output.

Cons

Flaccid leadership. Non-competitive salaries. Poor account management focusing on bending to client's will rather than producing great work. No communication from management to employees, or vice verse.

Find a leader for your company, or just consolidate it into DDB, then clean up that mess.

Career dead end, no reason for company's existence.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Tribal DDB full-time for more than a year

Pros

Free kind bars, bagel thursdays, wednesday happy hour, some genuinely nice folks.

Cons

Unbelievably poorly run shop. Zero mentorship. No training. Extremely aggressive turnover rates (even for advertising, esp when there's less than 50 employees) = no culture. There is not a single person in "upper management" to look up to or learn from. Of course, there's only a President, a CFO, a chief strategist that no one likes and one business director who doesn't actually run any businesses. And somehow two ECDs even though there's only three clients. There are so many fundamentally broken things in this little directionless shop, but it seems to ladder up to an incompetant president. Wow is he clueless on how to run a shop, how to read people, how to get clients. No one respects him, and that is reflected in the work output. People are promoted based on their ability to kiss butt, not merit. Floaters are kept around while those who work hard won't get anywhere if they don't kiss butt.

Please retire.

A place held together by tape and bubblegum.

Former Employee - ACD  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - ACD in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Tribal DDB full-time for more than a year

Pros

Nice people. Some good clients with interesting projects.

Cons

The most incompetent management I've ever encountered in my career.

Great people suffering from TERRIBLE leadership

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Tribal DDB full-time

Pros

Great jr. to senior people who are trying (and failing) to turn around the sinking ship.

Cons

Lack of transparency. Poor leadership. Excessive client loss. Layoffs regardless of work quality and done haphazardly with no rhyme or reason for why that person was let go. Incompetence reigns.

Transparency goes a long way. So does actually caring about employees and not just treating them like irrelevant chess pieces

In a Word, Chaos

Former Employee - Senior Developer  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Developer in New York, NY

I worked at Tribal DDB as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Jeans, T-shirt company. Young people everywhere. Hot women.

Cons

You will probably be the oldest person there. Managers are young and very inexperienced. If they don't like something, they'll fire you on the spot without warning. I was asked to develop a highly interactive website in a week...a week. What are these people smoking? I tend to procrastinate and do everything last minute so when they checked up on me midweek and saw next to nothing, they fired me. Designers here are pretentious and thinks they just created a digital Picasso when the design makes absolutely no sense at all. Good for a temp job but I wouldn't stay here too long.

It would be pointless because their heads are so big they would not listen to any advice.

Learned a lot, but lack of integration a problelm

Former Employee - Art Director  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Art Director in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Tribal DDB full-time for less than a year

Pros

The DDB agencies use the legacy of Bill Bernbach to truly teach a fundamental shared philosophy about what makes great advertising. I learned a lot.

Cons

The whole concept of Tribal was initiated when digital lived in silos. Now, the world is integrated and there's really no point for this subdivision to exist.

Re-org. Why have a silo agency that doesn't do anything specialized.

A mix of pros and cons, but glad for the experience

Former Employee - Senior Creative  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Creative in New York, NY

I worked at Tribal DDB as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

Hands down the best reason to be here is the people. On the whole (there are always exceptions) people were friendly and there was a nice energy to the place. Top creative leads very approachable.

Cons

Creative suffers greatly because account has no balls (again there are exceptions to this rule). Too often work is dictated by clients who have no creative sense. The result is that you will not be proud of your work--nothing for your book.

Try to sort out your creative vs account conundrum. work is too often prescriptive, dictated by clients who don't know s**t about creative.

Worked for Tribal DDB? Contribute to the Community!