Tribeca Flashpoint

Updated Jan 21, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Review by faculty member

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe school has so much going for it - innovative thought leaders and cutting edge technology, and for the most part, a motivated student body. Within my small department there is a great sense of community, and chances for furthering my own professional goals.

ConsThere have been a number of changes over the years, including new management. While this is all for the bottom line, and some of the changes have been positive, it seems like there is a lot of disconnect between faculty and the admin.

Potential for great success inhibited by lack of experience or knowledge in key areas

Administration (Current Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsThe school focuses on a high level of academic standards to provide a quality experience to students. Faculty have a wealth of knowledge and expertise in their areas. Front line staff work hard to ensure a high level of customer service for students.

ConsMid to upper level administration in certain areas lack experience or knowledge with regards to standard practices across the industry, which has resulted in poor decision making that has resulted in cleanup the last few years. Cross departmental communication, especially on processes and changes, is severely lacking, often resulting in the affected scrambling to find a solution to the domino effect.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe more and earlier the communication the better and learning from past mistakes is the key to success. Organizational development as a whole should be a focus for the school.

continual unorganized and unscalable environment

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThere was recent change in executive leadership that seems to really understand the educational landscape rather than just the marketing and business side of it.

ConsSpecific senior management constantly makes rushed decisions without understanding the negative impact or domino effect,that it has, especially to students, which is already evident. Specific employees are protected regardless of mistakes made that could negatively impact the school in the long run blaming technology as a scapegoat. A recent layoff of employees placed a strain on already understaffed departments while overstaffed departments are continue to hire destroying morale in the organization. Processes are not scalable, and new employees are left to sink or swim without any proper training to succeed in their role.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe school needs to invest in overall organizational development of its employees and automating processes through technology. The organization should restructure its employees to create efficiency with resources rather than through inflated titles that are found uncommon with a school of its size or employee count.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Quite an experience...

ProsEveryone is very passionate about the school, students, and the programs.

ConsPoor management, instability, lack of growth, and unorganized.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay more attention to departmental managers.

Just like real life, if you want a glimpse of what the worst case scenario could be.

Chicago, IL

ProsIt's a two year school.
    They are good at helping students get a job.

ConsThe school will often take ownership of products the students make.
    The security at this school is run by a very rude head of security who enforces any rule that gives him the opportunity to shout.
    The majority of the teachers are adjuncts and can be hard to contact on short notice.
    Equipment checkout is very confusing.
    The curriculum is very broad and thin. A first year student should not expect to learn much unless they do research on their own time.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease, take these concerns into consideration to make your business better.

Perpetual fire-fighting, politically charged work environment, with no hope of fair representation to management.

Instructor/Professor (Former Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsTribeca Flashpoint Media Arts Academy (TFMAA) does follow the vocational school method of teaching students on how to engage in this industry. I have seen it successfully deliver these skills to highly motivated individuals who were looking to change careers or were seeking an alternative to attaining a degree at a four-year school. The school has built a fully loaded, state-of-the-art class environment, where teaching in the labs is efficient and conducive to creating highly creative projects. The physical resources are the best asset the school has to offer.

ConsCommunication between management and departments/instructors is poor. Salary compensation is not in-line with their respected industries. Employee reviews are not credible and do not provide an environment to promote personal commitment and loyalty to the school. The worse part of the mismanagement of the staff is that the student body is seeing evidence of this treatment and it is creating an "us" vs "them" mentality... the exact opposite of what an academic institute should be doing. The students must see the school as a cooperative, between management and staff, representing a single voice and mandate, to teach them the skills to succeed in their respective careers. TFMAA fails to deliver this on many levels.

Advice to Senior ManagementI believe that management was placed under an incredible amount of pressure, (a crucible, if you will) to succeed on many fronts and issues, leaving no room for any mistakes or breathing room. The first thing to go was the implicit trust, that management never gave its staff, and the result was micro-managing and wide disagreements on how to proceed. I believe management would have been surprised to find that people, in general, wish to do the right thing, if given a chance to be part of the solution, instead of being viewed as the "problem". I never felt that I was part of a team that had management watching our backs... I never understood how we could be deemed "guilty" before given a chance to prove ourselves worthy of teaching at TFMAA.

Worked for Tribeca Flashpoint? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Tribeca Flashpoint reviews and ratings. All 6 reviews posted anonymously by Tribeca Flashpoint employees.