Tribeca Flashpoint

Updated September 16, 2014
1.7

CEO

Review by faculty member

I worked at Tribeca Flashpoint part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The school has so much going for it - innovative thought leaders and cutting edge technology, and for the most part, a motivated student body. Within my small department there is a great sense of community, and chances for furthering my own professional goals.

Cons

There have been a number of changes over the years, including new management. While this is all for the bottom line, and some of the changes have been positive, it seems like there is a lot of disconnect between faculty and the admin.

To quote Gordan Gecko: Greed is not good. Management (staff) has no stake in the company.

Current Employee - Instructor in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Instructor in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Tribeca Flashpoint full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Faculty are incredible at what they do and how they teach. The Staff (outside admin and higher ups) are great folks. The security guards are awesome and friendly.

Cons

A sad tail in management. In the first couple years of the school opening, Howard Tullman and his over-staffed staff burned money like crazy, with all sorts of promotions to get the school noticed. It's all well and good until you're paying for high-price real-estate at Daley Plaza. Howard would buy a ballroom on Lasalle without consulting the sound department for Accoustics. It was a cave and nothing could really be done in there. So it sat there on our rent. Soon boredom must of came in and higher-ups mandating bonuses for themselves (their no longer with the company) and just overspending like crazy, eventually Howard jumped off with his Golden Parachute. He even sent the school staff/faculty one of his blogs "When it's time to leave a failing business" right before he left. Up to this moment there was hints of hurting financially with meetings where the staff would tell the faculty "just get as many seats filled as possible". Tribeca came into the picture to hold the place a float and finally Sterling. Howard jumped ship and handed us to Sterling. Personally the man was cold and as much as he wants to be the next Steve Jobs he's left a legacy of running out of buildings on fire that he set a flame. Sterling, known for slashing jobs, improving facilities for a resale, then reselling the schools came in. They did just that. At first it was positive. Sterling looked like a company that could get the place back on track. And they did a first initial layoff of staff which was needed (lot of fat). But then they started cutting fat and then eventually flesh, until they cut the heart off of the company. Bringing us down to the likes of Illinois Institute of Art. The best faculty where cut and the remaining's contracts where lowered. I wouldn't be surprised if they cut even more soon. I don't know if they're merciless or desperate. THE ENTIRE ADMIN FLOOR TURNED INTO A GHOST TOWN. Everyone was getting fired, and their work was thrown in the lap of others left who eventually left because of the overwork burden. It was the greatest exodus I've ever seen. Most of the folks at Sterling are not evil, they're just faceless drones told to make the place profitable, if it even means cutting it down to nothing but a sign outside the front of the building. Honestly it was sad. I, like the others, wanted so much to make this school successful and reputable. And we "did our best" when Sterling would pull a last minute fast one. ACICS will be doing an audit in October, they won't have to look hard to find that Sterling has pulled enough stunts and broken student contracts all over the place with abundant changes to the curriculum. I personally had to deal with apologizing for the staff/administration for illegal merges of concentrations, sudden changes in classes, to the students. This ship is sinking slowly like the titanic yet the band is still playing on the deck. The economy and job market in film, game, visual effects and viscom (graphics design) is pathetic as well.

Be a farmer and do/earn an honest job. You said you wanted to know what we do, but you kept your distance, and fired people who you didn't even realize till it was too late, where imperative to the operations of the school. At a level that is almost sadly comical.

The faculty IS your school. Not your fancy facilities that you updated to make the place look good on the outside.

TO STERLING: you better stop your shenanigans and pull back on your last minute antics, because the faculty are ALL making plans to leave the school. And do you blame them, you folks have shown time and time again to NOT KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING. As one teacher once said to me, Schizophrenic nature of the school. When that happens, you'll start to get sub-par hacks for faculty and then say goodbye to your investment, but looks like you're looking to resell us by then anyway, so what does it matter. Education's downfall is from folks like you.

Potential for great success inhibited by lack of experience or knowledge in key areas

Current Employee - Administration in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Administration in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Tribeca Flashpoint full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The school focuses on a high level of academic standards to provide a quality experience to students. Faculty have a wealth of knowledge and expertise in their areas. Front line staff work hard to ensure a high level of customer service for students.

Cons

Mid to upper level administration in certain areas lack experience or knowledge with regards to standard practices across the industry, which has resulted in poor decision making that has resulted in cleanup the last few years. Cross departmental communication, especially on processes and changes, is severely lacking, often resulting in the affected scrambling to find a solution to the domino effect.

The more and earlier the communication the better and learning from past mistakes is the key to success. Organizational development as a whole should be a focus for the school.

continual unorganized and unscalable environment

I worked at Tribeca Flashpoint full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There was recent change in executive leadership that seems to really understand the educational landscape rather than just the marketing and business side of it.

Cons

Specific senior management constantly makes rushed decisions without understanding the negative impact or domino effect,that it has, especially to students, which is already evident. Specific employees are protected regardless of mistakes made that could negatively impact the school in the long run blaming technology as a scapegoat. A recent layoff of employees placed a strain on already understaffed departments while overstaffed departments are continue to hire destroying morale in the organization. Processes are not scalable, and new employees are left to sink or swim without any proper training to succeed in their role.

The school needs to invest in overall organizational development of its employees and automating processes through technology. The organization should restructure its employees to create efficiency with resources rather than through inflated titles that are found uncommon with a school of its size or employee count.

Quite an experience...

I have been working at Tribeca Flashpoint full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Everyone is very passionate about the school, students, and the programs.

Cons

Poor management, instability, lack of growth, and unorganized.

Pay more attention to departmental managers.

Just like real life, if you want a glimpse of what the worst case scenario could be.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Tribeca Flashpoint full-time (more than an year)

Pros

It's a two year school.
    They are good at helping students get a job.

Cons

The school will often take ownership of products the students make.
    The security at this school is run by a very rude head of security who enforces any rule that gives him the opportunity to shout.
    The majority of the teachers are adjuncts and can be hard to contact on short notice.
    Equipment checkout is very confusing.
    The curriculum is very broad and thin. A first year student should not expect to learn much unless they do research on their own time.

Please, take these concerns into consideration to make your business better.

Perpetual fire-fighting, politically charged work environment, with no hope of fair representation to management.

Former Employee - Instructor/Professor in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Instructor/Professor in Chicago, IL

I worked at Tribeca Flashpoint

Pros

Tribeca Flashpoint Media Arts Academy (TFMAA) does follow the vocational school method of teaching students on how to engage in this industry. I have seen it successfully deliver these skills to highly motivated individuals who were looking to change careers or were seeking an alternative to attaining a degree at a four-year school. The school has built a fully loaded, state-of-the-art class environment, where teaching in the labs is efficient and conducive to creating highly creative projects. The physical resources are the best asset the school has to offer.

Cons

Communication between management and departments/instructors is poor. Salary compensation is not in-line with their respected industries. Employee reviews are not credible and do not provide an environment to promote personal commitment and loyalty to the school. The worse part of the mismanagement of the staff is that the student body is seeing evidence of this treatment and it is creating an "us" vs "them" mentality... the exact opposite of what an academic institute should be doing. The students must see the school as a cooperative, between management and staff, representing a single voice and mandate, to teach them the skills to succeed in their respective careers. TFMAA fails to deliver this on many levels.

I believe that management was placed under an incredible amount of pressure, (a crucible, if you will) to succeed on many fronts and issues, leaving no room for any mistakes or breathing room. The first thing to go was the implicit trust, that management never gave its staff, and the result was micro-managing and wide disagreements on how to proceed. I believe management would have been surprised to find that people, in general, wish to do the right thing, if given a chance to be part of the solution, instead of being viewed as the "problem". I never felt that I was part of a team that had management watching our backs... I never understood how we could be deemed "guilty" before given a chance to prove ourselves worthy of teaching at TFMAA.