Tribune Company

www.tribune.com

Tribune Company Reviews in Chicago, IL

Updated Jul 18, 2014

Peter Liguori

Pros
  • Some great people to work with especially in California and Florida(in 13 reviews)

• Really good at work-life balance(in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • The low pay and no increases each year(in 7 reviews)

• Frequent upper management changes(in 6 reviews)

60 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great place to Work

Technology Support (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsGreat people to work with team work.
    great balance work / life
    Standard benefits of a big company.

ConsLack of opportunity to move up.
    Because of consolidation of departments.
    little if any training.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to open opportunities to advance

I got out before it got really bad!

Project Manager (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsThe people were great. The facilities were great. The location is great!

ConsThe work is confusing, with no direction, constantly changing leadership, and low morale. :(

Advice to Senior ManagementGet your act together. You are a mess!

Management Out of Touch

Business Analyst (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsFree parking on weekends
    Great benefits

ConsComing is splitting into 2 companies and with this leads to the politics and layoffs. The Tribune had every intention of ending the newspapers off to die, but lied to us about job loss. We were told they were maintaining the staff in technology that they have, but yet are doing sniper layoffs to stay out of the news.

Also, the systems while good, are a mess, departments work in Silos and there is no communication, therefore systems such as the data warehouse get impacted by changes to other systems and the warehouse jobs fail because nobody could reach out and include us in the change. It was a fun place to work when they were a strong company, but as soon as the split started, it has gone downhill with layoffs of people and others leaving. If yo uare not going to the new Tribune Media side, I would stay away from Tribune publishing....it is being sent off to wither away.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a clue about things, your employees are an asset! You would have no company without employees, how about treating them better than giving 1 day notice of a layoff.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Amazing

Project Manager (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsThe flexibility of being able to work remote. Also working for such an Historical Company. I enjoyed working with many different people, collaborating with cross functional teams. The Managers and people were great.

ConsMy Con was not being able to still work there due to the lay offs.

Advice to Senior ManagementI enjoyed working with upper Management, keep striving to make Tribune the best it can be

Old fashioned, stagnant culture

Manager IT (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsA handful of smart, energetic, talented people who have not yet left

ConsCulture - old, stagnant, politicized, defeated
    Management - good'ol boys club, upper management does not understand technology and innovation and the necessity of risk taking. ZERO leadership.
    Business - declining, no vision for the future

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to replace current leadership with fresh, open minded, risk taking leaders

Used to be a great place to work.

Account Manager (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsThere are still some dedicated employees here, they will likely be laid off when the publishing side is sold to the highest (or only) bidder.

ConsCompany has been on the slide for years. No chance this industry recovers. Tons of turnover throughout the years and over 4 years of bankruptcy. Major brain drain over the years with the smartest people leaving for other opportunities.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep selling the idea that the company stands for something until you line up your next job. Sounds like upper management will benefit financially when the paper is dumped.

Went from great company to sinking ship

Advertising Sales Analyst (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

Pros-Challenging work
    -Good colleagues
    - Very good benefits
    - Good location
    - Nice offices

Cons- No training or development
    - Stagnant salary
    - Bankruptcy caused massive layoffs, staff changes and increased workload
    - Low morale
    - Company is slow to grow

Advice to Senior ManagementYou say you want to have an open policy and be transparent, but the overall vision for the company is one big secret and it's just a wait and see game for what's going to happen next. Treat employees with respect, develop their careers so it's a win-win situation and reward their hard work with competitive salaries.

Great Environment

Account Executive (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsGood support, so many products to sell from in portfolio, great environment, compensation, perks, fitness gym in building

ConsTraining - I felt like I was thrown in and didn't get enough training

Awesome team environment

Deployment Engineer (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsFreedom, great work environment, very structured, awesome family work balance

ConsComing out of bankruptcy, multiple systems to do the same thing, rework

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in professional developement

Large multi-faceted company facing industry challenges and trying to make a profit

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsNew leadership appears to be trying to save the company and adjust for current day challenges for a media company that was once a giant in the print industry.

ConsThe company is notoriously cheap, Even before their long, drawn-out bankruptcy, they paid employees poorly and failed to spend money on decent equipment. They do not invest in talent and would rather see them walk out the door than give pay raises. There are alot of unhappy employees who are over-worked and miserable.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive employees feedback and reward those who work hard and have talent. Also, improve your benefits, especially maternity leave benefits. You have one of the worst maternity leave policies in the country.

Worked for Tribune Company? Contribute to the Community!