Tribune Company

www.tribune.com
  www.tribune.com

Tribune Company Reviews in Orlando, FL

Peter Liguori

Pros
  • Some great people to work with especially in California and Florida (in 13 reviews)

• Really good at work-life balance (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • The low pay and no increases each year (in 7 reviews)

• Frequent upper management changes (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

4 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

It's a good jumping point for people new to the help desk world.

Current Employee - Help Desk Analyst  in  Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Help Desk Analyst in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Tribune Company

Pros

Network not monitored, personal sites available (facebook, gmail, yahoo, etc)
    Interaction with lots of different people
    Many different applications and software
    Very nice staff (Help Desk)
    Casual Dress
    Ability to bring your own hardware to work
    Relaxed call-outs (No 24 hr notice needed most of the time)
    Wonderful Management (Help Desk in Orlando)

Cons

Documentation is flawed, consistently being updated without notifications sending out
    Upper management asks for suggestions to improve, but do not take help desk into consideration when making decisions.
    Horrible ticketing system
    Rude, impatient clients
    Communication between teams is almost non existent.
    Hiring system is extremely twisted.
    Active Directory is messy, unkempt, and hard to work with

Listen to the people that support your company by it's foundation. Without the Help Desk taking all the calls for everyone, including Technology staff, no one would be aware of issues that are going on in multiple business units across the world.

Communicate more with staff, especially senior management. Lack of personal messages from seniors leads us to believe that we aren't listened to or needed.

Helpdesk Analyst - Orlando Sentinel (Trib-Tech)

Current Employee - Helpdesk Analyst  in  Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Helpdesk Analyst in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Tribune Company as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

- Free 24 Hr Employee Parking (Downtown Convenient)
    - Indoor Gym for employees
    - ATM Inside
    - Flexible Schedules (24 Hrs)
    - Very Laidback with Tardiness and Sick Calls (Just Call With Time)

Cons

For Orlando Tribune-Tech Group

I advise management to really specify the actual day to day services that they support and not hold any information like this during the interview process. Please be specific as it will help the prospect as well as yourselves, there is nothing more frustrating than to be told one thing in an interview and then see something else during the actual job. Don't waste peoples time as it will only hurt your reputation. This goes for the actual Orlando Sentinel-Tribune Technology team not the recruiters. Also PLEASE! Be patient with the new hires or Noobs as you call them, I guess you guys in Orlando Tribune Tech were the only ones born knowing the proprietary media software, well EXCUUSEEE us for not knowing! I have to say that the Orlando Tribune group is very unprofessional in the way they handle the Hire-Fire process, no sit-down, talk or warning when firing or letting you go just a behind the back fire! Also they have a lot of old equipment (laptops, Desktops and desk's) and very short lunch (30-Min) only which means bring your own food everyday or buy from their cafeteria.

I advise the Trib-Tech Orlando Sentinel Management to carefully explain and be very detailed in your interview with any new hires or prospects. Please specify the job description and mention that this is not an IT/Helpdesk Support Position, let the prospects know that they will be supporting Tribune Media/Newspaper-Editorial Proprietary Software 80% of the time and about 20% actual desktop, OS and general hardware, network troubleshooting. Let the Tech and Hardware guys know that this is Software Support, Answering Phones all day and No Hands On work. This position leans away from the technical/hardware support so if you are looking for a future in IT then this is not the place for you. You will gain very little experience in IT and Network Support and that's only when you work with their VPN, Citrix, Active Directory or Microsoft Outlook, other than that you will deal with Boring Software support.

Great Company

Former Employee - Field Sales Manager  in  Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Field Sales Manager in Orlando, FL

I worked at Tribune Company

Pros

Great Management, advancement opportunity, and competitive pay. The Tribune company was by far one of the best companies that I have ever had the pleasure in working for.

Cons

Newspaper industry is going through a very hard time so there were many layoffs while I was there. Budget cuts were a growing problem and moral was sacrificed because of it.

The only advise I would have to management is to continue going lean and keep the newspaper around. There are still many ways that money is being waisted within the walls of the Tribune.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Shrinking newspaper

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Tribune Company

Pros

Treated fairly in most cases. Have most day hours off, as I work nights. Company usually agreeable to needed days off.

Cons

Working at night it is difficult to make plans to do things with family and friends. Even when off, you have to get your sleep in. Very litte opportunity for growth at this time, as newspapers in general are having a difficult time.

Listen a little more to the people out working in the field. There has been alot of talk about wanting ideas from everyone, but little seems to change.

Worked for Tribune Company? Contribute to the Community!