Tribune Company

www.tribune.com

Tribune Company Reviews

Updated Jul 18, 2014

Peter Liguori

Pros
  • Some great people to work with especially in California and Florida(in 13 reviews)

• Really good at work-life balance(in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • The low pay and no increases each year(in 7 reviews)

• Frequent upper management changes(in 6 reviews)

Good but could be way better

ProsPrestigious, great national identity. Fun perks.

ConsPromotions are damn near impossible without leaving the company. Bonuses or anything merit related is a pipe dream. You can stay forever as long as you turn in mediocre work all the time. Way too much management to get anything actually done.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop being risk-averse because you're afraid of rocking the boat.

I got out before it got really bad!

Project Manager (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsThe people were great. The facilities were great. The location is great!

ConsThe work is confusing, with no direction, constantly changing leadership, and low morale. :(

Advice to Senior ManagementGet your act together. You are a mess!

Management Out of Touch

Business Analyst (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsFree parking on weekends
    Great benefits

ConsComing is splitting into 2 companies and with this leads to the politics and layoffs. The Tribune had every intention of ending the newspapers off to die, but lied to us about job loss. We were told they were maintaining the staff in technology that they have, but yet are doing sniper layoffs to stay out of the news.

Also, the systems while good, are a mess, departments work in Silos and there is no communication, therefore systems such as the data warehouse get impacted by changes to other systems and the warehouse jobs fail because nobody could reach out and include us in the change. It was a fun place to work when they were a strong company, but as soon as the split started, it has gone downhill with layoffs of people and others leaving. If yo uare not going to the new Tribune Media side, I would stay away from Tribune publishing....it is being sent off to wither away.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a clue about things, your employees are an asset! You would have no company without employees, how about treating them better than giving 1 day notice of a layoff.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to Work

Technology Support (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsGreat people to work with team work.
    great balance work / life
    Standard benefits of a big company.

ConsLack of opportunity to move up.
    Because of consolidation of departments.
    little if any training.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to open opportunities to advance

Once great media industry gutted by greed.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsSome great people to work with especially in California and Florida. Office is in a convenient location and there can be flexible work conditions.

ConsCompanies are only as good as their employees. Tribune drove out all their great employees through career killing assignments, health degrading working hours, demotions and finally layoffs.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide support and training for your remaining employees so they can grow their careers and provide value to your company. Set reasonable deadlines so your remaining employees will get the needed rest and family time needed to stay healthy and reduce your health benefits cost. Provide salaries commensurate to the value an employee brings to the company. Executives do provide value to a company but certainly not 300 times that of the average employee salary. Pay equity will attract and keep valuable employees.

Amazing

Project Manager (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsThe flexibility of being able to work remote. Also working for such an Historical Company. I enjoyed working with many different people, collaborating with cross functional teams. The Managers and people were great.

ConsMy Con was not being able to still work there due to the lay offs.

Advice to Senior ManagementI enjoyed working with upper Management, keep striving to make Tribune the best it can be

Dedicated, talented staff working ridiculously hard to succeed at what they do

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsSmart, passionate colleagues to work with and learn from. Significant responsibility, depending on the position, which ensures that the work is interesting and the job is never boring.

ConsLow pay and unorthodox hours sometimes makes for a difficult work/life balance.

Jury is still out

Account Executive (Current Employee)

ProsLarge well-intentioned company.

ConsCompany recently acquired many new tv stations and it seems that they are still trying to figure it all out. Thus far there hasn't been anything new and positive brought to the table.

Tons of opportunities

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat work-life balance. Management good at providing feedback to sales reps.

ConsHard doing your job when someone's constantly looking over your shoulder.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive your sales reps some space.

Good

ProsWork environment is very friendly
    location
    work-life balance

ConsDoes not use latest technologies

Worked for Tribune Company? Contribute to the Community!