Tribune Company

Updated February 18, 2015
Updated February 18, 2015
2.8

Peter Liguori

Pros
  • Some great people to work with especially in California and Florida (in 13 reviews)

• Really good at work-life balance (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • The low pay and no increases each year (in 7 reviews)

• Frequent upper management changes (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Overall good, company going thru a lot of changes

I worked at Tribune Company full-time

Pros

Interesting work, fast pace, dynamic. Benefits when publicly held were good, it became difficult when they went private

Cons

Tough environment with move to digital from print, at times it seemed like they were trying things a little to late to make an impact

A Variable Work Experience

Former Employee - Television News In-Studio Technical Staff in West Coast Village (Singapore)

I worked at Tribune Company full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I worked in televison news on the tech side for one of their West Coast affiliates. If you show skills and initiative you get left alone to perform in an interesting industry.

Cons

Lots of internal politics and back biting amongst a few people (including management) who really should be trained in team building.

Better evaluations throughout the year of the team esprit and work skills.

sales

I have been working at Tribune Company

Pros

there are numerous pros to this company, including but not limited to: stability, good people, benefits, tradition, brand equity, marketplace strength, integrity

Cons

market trends going against the company in general, which can create challenging financials and a sometimes less than positive atmosphere

innovate

10,000s Employees... But you leave because of 1

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Tribune Company full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I felt truly valued, this was in large part due to performing a necessary job and being the ONLY PERSON who knew how to do it and NO ONE wanting to learn.

Was allowed flexibility due to nature of my job. Pay not so great, no room for growth no raises, but if good leadership could earn perks; likely not transferable if position transferred to new leader. Typically positive/fun work environment.

I sort of grew up here, so below are 3 life lessons (maybe specific to Trib) that I take with me:
    1. Make friends & contacts (but know the difference) - Be nice to all (inclusive), Happy Hour is no longer for drinking
    2. Loving the work not your title - if you don't feel this way, get out (because if you hate the work, you'll lose the title)
    3. In your boss you trust... if you don't feel this way by month 6; get out (because you never will & its mutual)

Cons

These may not all sound like cons... but are all lessons based on experiences I wish had not occurred during my employment:

Tales of a Bad Boss:
    1. Be Fair - Always - To Everyone - Employees really don't care if you look/seem cool
    2. Learn Chess -- Thinking a few steps ahead will benefit everyone -- strategy isn't only for board games
    3. Allow everyone to do their job - if you were going to do it, do ask me to do it - make up your mind
    4. Just because you don't get it - doesn't make it wrong -- its ok for your employee to have an idea above you, DEAL
    5. Its ok if you make a mistake, I think you'll find people can be forgiving -- be an adult; don't pass the buck
    6. Favoritism - you aren't my favorite either, but I still laugh at your jokes - maybe look me in the eye

=======================================================================================

Lessons from Tribune:
    1. Your reputation is not enough - don't take credit for another's mistake - memory's are short
    2. You are not in control - you will be only offered 1 option - you always have 2 choices (the other involves leaving)
    3. Ask questions - Ask questions - Ask questions
    4. Document - Document - Document
    5. Save everything independently; become at least a little paranoid; its sad; but one day you will have seen enough and this will be a good idea, not the ramblings of a crazy person
    6. if you don't trust someone - go with that feeling
    7. if you DO trust someone - go with that feeling
    8. If you find someone willing to teach you - find time to "hang out"; sadly there are fewer of these folks than you know; even sadder they are rarely your boss
    9. Write thank you notes - write them often - write them for reasons you think are small trivial - write them by hand
    10. Listen to advice - from loved ones - lectures on youtube are for learning a trade not how to live your life

Your boss makes you or breaks you... but this isn't a Tribune thing... its a Life thing.

What matters is your Director & VP level these are the individuals who truly run the company, but sadly not all are leaders; merely very smart people -- but that doesn't always translate.

True Leadership Development. True Leadership Development on HOW to Develop other Leaders...

Accurate Evaluations of your Lieutenants... are they bleeding good employees? Are they losing you your best assets?

Your best people will leave - if they have a bad boss; regardless of pay, tenure, etc.
    All energy will be focused on leaving boss (internally or externally) and not on job.

Learned a lot!

Former Employee - Anonymous in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Chicago, IL

I worked at Tribune Company

Pros

Smart people with a ton of talent

Cons

Tough industry, confusion about long term value

Tribune Company promotes a toxic environment that thrives on drama, lack of communication and an every man for himself a

Current Employee - Metro Editor in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Metro Editor in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Tribune Company full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Tribune's publications still carry a certain level of respect and an industry-wide reputation for quality. It's a casual workplace with a satisfactory amount of independence.

Cons

No respect for long-term employees, strong belief that the publication should be your life, a general preference for doing everything on deadline. Employees are treated as the replaceable bodies they are.

Learn that there's value in institutional knowledge. Foster creativity, promote more learning opportunities. Give your employees options about which department they work in and on what shifts. Care that your employees might have personal lives. Listen to suggestions from all areas. Have more group-wide brainstorming sessions and open lines of communication. Recognize that print media doesn't trump everything else.

Good company, good people, good benefits

Current Employee - Video Editor
    Current Employee - Video Editor

I have been working at Tribune Company part-time (more than a year)

Pros

I enjoy working here, and the people are all great. The pay isn't the best, but I shouldn't expect much out of my first real job.

Cons

As mentioned, a pay increase would be awesome, as I can't even begin to live off of what I get now. There also seems to be very little room for advancement as promotions are filled from the outside instead of internally.

Adops

Former Employee - Adops in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Adops in Chicago, IL

I worked at Tribune Company full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good team environment, benefits not that bad, convenient location

Cons

benefits could be better, sales & clients need additional training

Tribune Company Associate Producer

Current Employee - Associate Producer
    Current Employee - Associate Producer

I have been working at Tribune Company full-time

Pros

Good experience, great exposure to the field. Great chance to jump in and learn.

Cons

They work you like crazy. 50 hr weeks are not uncommon. You'll work weekends. Working 7 straight days also not uncommon. Your weekend will change constantly, so don't make plans.

At least act like you care about the people who work for you, or maybe they won't leave so frequently.

Getting Worse

I have been working at Tribune Company full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The company is just going downhill. Imagine the parent company stripping the publishing companies of their assets and making them pay for it

Cons

Too much workload, constant layoff. Constant change in organization and structure

You all need to go back to the drawing board, except you all don't care anymore. Remember employees are your most valuable assets

Tribune Company Photos