Tribune Media Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
2.7
Peter Liguori

Pros
  • Great people to work with team work (in 13 reviews)

• Really good at work-life balance (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • The low pay and no increases each year (in 7 reviews)

• Frequent upper management changes (in 7 reviews)

1. The best is yet to come.

Current Employee - Divisional Sales Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Divisional Sales Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Tribune Media

Pros

Limitless opportunity. Proven track record of new management. The opportunities are limitless for those willing to work.

Cons

Uncertainty among some. Horrible attitude of some delusional staff. Dinosours still roam the building.

Advice to Management

Communicate the vision. Clearly. Consistently. Get rid of the poison quickly and without regret.

2. Great Company

Former Employee - Field Sales Manager in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Field Sales Manager in Orlando, FL

I worked at Tribune Media

Pros

Great Management, advancement opportunity, and competitive pay. The Tribune company was by far one of the best companies that I have ever had the pleasure in working for.

Cons

Newspaper industry is going through a very hard time so there were many layoffs while I was there. Budget cuts were a growing problem and moral was sacrificed because of it.

Advice to Management

The only advise I would have to management is to continue going lean and keep the newspaper around. There are still many ways that money is being waisted within the walls of the Tribune.

3. Exciting and challenging experience.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Tribune Media

Pros

Well-established name, involvement in many different types of media.

Cons

Large corporation, so learn how to network.

5. Great opportunity to work on a vast variety of project types and levels of involvement.

Current Employee - User Experience Lead in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - User Experience Lead in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Tribune Media full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Tribune Technology has a fantastic working environment within the Chicago Tribune building. Along with a high-tech work space, employees enjoy working with many smart and dedicated people.

Cons

Coming out of bankruptcy at the beginning of 2013, Tribune Co. employees are dealing with all that accompanies that process - from uncertainty to the rumor mill.

Advice to Management

Stay strong and carry on.

6. Inside Sales

Current Employee - Safety Inspector in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Safety Inspector in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Tribune Media full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Despite having high work standards, Tribune keeps a comfortable work environment. They let you be yourself while at the same time offer advice and continuous training and reviews.

Cons

Some weeks the amount and team and group meetings can take a significant amount of time out of the work day hours.

Advice to Management

Alternate team and group meetings weekly. Some time when individual, team, and group meetings fall in the same week, performance can suffer so the customer service side is weakened.

7. Awesome team environment

Former Employee - Deployment Engineer in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Deployment Engineer in Chicago, IL

I worked at Tribune Media full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Freedom, great work environment, very structured, awesome family work balance

Cons

Coming out of bankruptcy, multiple systems to do the same thing, rework

Advice to Management

Invest in professional developement

8. Great Environment

Current Employee - Account Executive in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Tribune Media full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good support, so many products to sell from in portfolio, great environment, compensation, perks, fitness gym in building

Cons

Training - I felt like I was thrown in and didn't get enough training

9. LOVE MY JOB

Current Employee - Account Manager - Level I (I Say Junior Account Manager) in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Tribune Media

Pros

I like working for the Tribune Company because it is a respectably nationally known company. I like that I can provide my customers with BOTH print and online advertising means. Not too many people in our industry can do that. I also enjoy the comfortable atmosphere I work in. I do not have to show up to work in a suit or business casual all the time. I dress comfortably and it allows me to enjoy my work a bit more. And the relationships I have with my co-workers really makes things worth while to come into work every morning.

Cons

My 90 minute commute :-)

Advice to Management

Treat all employees (regardless of what Team they're on) with the same respect you'd give your own team.

If you don't mind cold-calling, this place is GREAT for you.

Former Employee - Account Representative in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Account Representative in New York, NY

I worked at Tribune Media

Pros

If you're a great salesperson, this is the job for you. Tribune looks for people who are motivated by making money, achieving goals, and being recognized for it. You can make a great amount of money if just do what you're suppose to do, provided by the training you get. There's a lot of freedom in the way you work, just as long as you meet your numbers.

Cons

If you aren't a good salesperson, this job isn't for you. You're starting salary is $25k, provided you do a decent enough job and meet your quotas, but if you do more, you can make more. There's a lot of cold calling, dealing with people who consider you a telemarketer, and you know what those reactions are. You're pretty much stationed at your pc/desk when doing work.

Advice to Management

Senior Management should try to have some team-building activities, or make the position more team-oriented. Sure, the position works in a team, but that's it. Everybody is reviewed and rewarded based on their individual performances, so if there was some more camaraderie between the 'team' members, maybe performance would be better.

11. Troubled newspaper company, maybe there are still some chances

Former Employee - Senior Systems Administrator in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Systems Administrator in Chicago, IL

I worked at Tribune Media

Pros

In this difficult economy environment, it is difficult to find a job, so a job even in the currently troubled Tribune Company would be better than nothing. In the new tech department, you would have many opportunities to learn a variety of different skill sets, since they are short of technical support person due to the fact that many were let go before, and many others chose to quit from the company after seeing no hope for newspaper industry. The company is indeed trying to make many changes, hoping to turn around, and it is mostly focusing on interactive side, which is good.

Cons

Newspaper industry is in a really, really bad situation. Tribune Company is no exception. The workload would be much higher than the good old days. Now that the company is operating in bankrupting mode, job securities would always be questioned, and would always be a concern for the employee. The revenue has been going down for a long time, which is not going to be improved anytime soon. The future is uncertain. The company is trying to consolidate and automate many things, which is good for the company to work on, but also means some jobs would not be needed once the automation is done.

Advice to Management

Newspaper industries (news providers) in US need to unite together (but this is going to be hard)

RSS Feed </> Embed