Tribune Media Reviews

Updated April 20, 2015
157 reviews filtered by
2.8
Peter Liguori

Pros
  • Some great people to work with especially in California and Florida (in 13 reviews)

• Really good at work-life balance (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • The low pay and no increases each year (in 7 reviews)

• Frequent upper management changes (in 7 reviews)

1. Innovative company but in a state of constant change, especially at my unit

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Tribune Media

Pros

Exciting environment with a station group that is experiencing ratings growth. opportunities for growth with expansion and job security. Lots of creative and hard working people that make that place succeed.

Cons

Pays below market rate. Expansion means an almost unbearable workload for some. Can be very stressful at times working for two stations. State of constant change leads to uncertainty about what the future may bring

Advice to Management

Start paying people fair market rate, or come up with some other incentives to try to make people happier, and mitigate the sometimes brutal working environment.

2. Learned a lot

I have been working at Tribune Media full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Fast Pace, Great Location, Good sense of their history

Cons

Sometimes missing focus, penny wise and pound folloish

3. It was informative and fun while I was there.

I worked at Tribune Media full-time

Pros

Good benefits offered to their employees; great community involvements

Cons

It is no longer available

5. Accountant

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Tribune Media full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Occasionally there were some friendly people but they usually didn't stay long. The salary was good and they were flexible about your work schedule, but time off was rarely used.

Cons

People refer the to the "tribune way", which essentially means don't help anyone and then blame them when something is wrong. it's a nasty environment where everyone doesn't really like there job but is looking to looking to keep it anyway. The benefits are good, but expensive. The company is going through a lot of reorganizing and development. It's hard to find the focus on where it wants to go. Every process is outdated and inefficient. There was a launch of a new financial system that gave zero communication to the impacted teams until a few weeks before launch. Training on any system was almost nonexistent.

Advice to Management

Communication is key. Try to make sure that people understand why they are doing things rather than just how things should be done.

6. Overall good, company going thru a lot of changes

I worked at Tribune Media full-time

Pros

Interesting work, fast pace, dynamic. Benefits when publicly held were good, it became difficult when they went private

Cons

Tough environment with move to digital from print, at times it seemed like they were trying things a little to late to make an impact

7. A Variable Work Experience

Former Employee - Television News In-Studio Technical Staff in West Coast Village (Singapore)

I worked at Tribune Media full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I worked in televison news on the tech side for one of their West Coast affiliates. If you show skills and initiative you get left alone to perform in an interesting industry.

Cons

Lots of internal politics and back biting amongst a few people (including management) who really should be trained in team building.

Advice to Management

Better evaluations throughout the year of the team esprit and work skills.

8. sales

I have been working at Tribune Media

Pros

there are numerous pros to this company, including but not limited to: stability, good people, benefits, tradition, brand equity, marketplace strength, integrity

Cons

market trends going against the company in general, which can create challenging financials and a sometimes less than positive atmosphere

Advice to Management

innovate

10,000s Employees... But you leave because of 1

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Tribune Media full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I felt truly valued, this was in large part due to performing a necessary job and being the ONLY PERSON who knew how to do it and NO ONE wanting to learn.

Was allowed flexibility due to nature of my job. Pay not so great, no room for growth no raises, but if good leadership could earn perks; likely not transferable if position transferred to new leader. Typically positive/fun work environment.

I sort of grew up here, so below are 3 life lessons (maybe specific to Trib) that I take with me:
    1. Make friends & contacts (but know the difference) - Be nice to all (inclusive), Happy Hour is no longer for drinking
    2. Loving the work not your title - if you don't feel this way, get out (because if you hate the work, you'll lose the title)
    3. In your boss you trust... if you don't feel this way by month 6; get out (because you never will & its mutual)

Cons

These may not all sound like cons... but are all lessons based on experiences I wish had not occurred during my employment:

Tales of a Bad Boss:
    1. Be Fair - Always - To Everyone - Employees really don't care if you look/seem cool
    2. Learn Chess -- Thinking a few steps ahead will benefit everyone -- strategy isn't only for board games
    3. Allow everyone to do their job - if you were going to do it, do ask me to do it - make up your mind
    4. Just because you don't get it - doesn't make it wrong -- its ok for your employee to have an idea above you, DEAL
    5. Its ok if you make a mistake, I think you'll find people can be forgiving -- be an adult; don't pass the buck
    6. Favoritism - you aren't my favorite either, but I still laugh at your jokes - maybe look me in the eye

=======================================================================================

Lessons from Tribune:
    1. Your reputation is not enough - don't take credit for another's mistake - memory's are short
    2. You are not in control - you will be only offered 1 option - you always have 2 choices (the other involves leaving)
    3. Ask questions - Ask questions - Ask questions
    4. Document - Document - Document
    5. Save everything independently; become at least a little paranoid; its sad; but one day you will have seen enough and this will be a good idea, not the ramblings of a crazy person
    6. if you don't trust someone - go with that feeling
    7. if you DO trust someone - go with that feeling
    8. If you find someone willing to teach you - find time to "hang out"; sadly there are fewer of these folks than you know; even sadder they are rarely your boss
    9. Write thank you notes - write them often - write them for reasons you think are small trivial - write them by hand
    10. Listen to advice - from loved ones - lectures on youtube are for learning a trade not how to live your life

Your boss makes you or breaks you... but this isn't a Tribune thing... its a Life thing.

Advice to Management

What matters is your Director & VP level these are the individuals who truly run the company, but sadly not all are leaders; merely very smart people -- but that doesn't always translate.

True Leadership Development. True Leadership Development on HOW to Develop other Leaders...

Accurate Evaluations of your Lieutenants... are they bleeding good employees? Are they losing you your best assets?

Your best people will leave - if they have a bad boss; regardless of pay, tenure, etc.
    All energy will be focused on leaving boss (internally or externally) and not on job.

10. Learned a lot!

Former Employee - Anonymous in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Chicago, IL

I worked at Tribune Media

Pros

Smart people with a ton of talent

Cons

Tough industry, confusion about long term value

Tribune Company promotes a toxic environment that thrives on drama, lack of communication and an every man for himself a

Current Employee - Metro Editor in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Metro Editor in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Tribune Media full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Tribune's publications still carry a certain level of respect and an industry-wide reputation for quality. It's a casual workplace with a satisfactory amount of independence.

Cons

No respect for long-term employees, strong belief that the publication should be your life, a general preference for doing everything on deadline. Employees are treated as the replaceable bodies they are.

Advice to Management

Learn that there's value in institutional knowledge. Foster creativity, promote more learning opportunities. Give your employees options about which department they work in and on what shifts. Care that your employees might have personal lives. Listen to suggestions from all areas. Have more group-wide brainstorming sessions and open lines of communication. Recognize that print media doesn't trump everything else.

Tribune Media Photos