Tricor

Updated January 13, 2015
Updated January 13, 2015
2.6

Mr. Yeap Kok Leong

You can find a better one :)

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)

I have been working at Tricor full-time

Pros

Friendly colleagues, resourceful and regular updates on technical knowledge

Cons

it's the norm for delay payment of bonus and increment

A Significant Detour on the Road to Financial Freedom

Former Employee - Engagement Manager in Tokyo (Japan)
    Former Employee - Engagement Manager in Tokyo (Japan)

I worked at Tricor full-time (more than an year)

Pros

This company gave me essential business experience; from corporate politics to actual knowledge on how to set up companies in Japan. It also gave me an environment to work with some amazing colleagues (many of which were Japanese).

Internal HR helped me exit the company efficiently/effectively.

Cons

Very low compensation, immense turnover (people walking out, not showing up one day, etc.), management's egos, and a lack of a defined upward trajectory (monetarily and career).

My main contention (from my personal experience) is being led on with money:

I took the job under the pre-tense of “you will be taken care of if you do an excellent job"; the CEO and management fully convinced me that this was a company where "if you were hungry, worked smart and worked hard, you'll get rewarded financially." My experience did not align with this.

I accepted the sub-standard pay (well below what I was able to earn as an English teacher) in the belief of a future return and the financial freedom it would provide. I gave it my all - on call 7 days a week- responsive to emails until I went to sleep- and what followed was largely administrative work and 60 hour work weeks (and a few 70 weeks).

After 8 months, the work was still intensely administrative, and the hours were still long. However, I was well over due for a raise. I sensed that they would not give it to me until I asked- so I did. I was expecting a very significant bump given the invested time and low starting pay. However, my raise was took me from 250,000 yen per month to 300,000 yen per month (about 30,000 USD as of adjusted Jan exchange rates).

To add insult to injury (there's really no other way to put it), I didn't receive commission for any sales opportunity I discovered or helped close for the entire duration of my employment (over 1 year).

The promise of "work hard and you'll be rewarded"- needs to be fulfilled or dropped from the company sales pitch during interviews. At the very least, the CEO and Directors should level with employees on realistic expectations of pay and have a timeline for raises.

To "reward" an employee with a sub-par raise for above-par work completely kills faith in the company.

Passing through

I have been working at Tricor

Pros

it is a multinational company with a lot of oppurtunities for learning and achieving job target.

Cons

salary is low and CEO is not a very capable person