Trilogy Financial Services

Updated April 2, 2014

3.7

Trilogy Financial Services CEO, Founder and Owner Jeff Motske
Jeff Motske

I have been working at Trilogy for the past 4 months and I really enjoy working here. The office atmosphere is great.

Current Employee - Hiring Coordinator  in  Huntington Beach, CA
    Current Employee - Hiring Coordinator in Huntington Beach, CA

I have been working at Trilogy Financial Services part-time for less than a year

Pros

Very understanding of life situations. Supportive. Easy to talk to.

Cons

Working on holidays such as Christmas Eve half day and holidays such as Presidents day and MLK.

Thank you for being available to talk with and to share ideas and input to improve the company.

Walk away...

Former Employee - Financial Advisor
    Former Employee - Financial Advisor

I worked at Trilogy Financial Services full-time for less than a year

Pros

Worked with some really cool people, mostly those who had been in the business a year or less. Office was really sharp, and had a nice view.

Cons

If you should decide to pursue opportunities to work here get ready to have your world rocked. They'll pull the sheets over your eyes from day one. In the interview they'll ask you what your parents do for work and of the two combined make less than $100,000 a year they won't even consider you for employment. They're sales people so they'll convince you if you stick around for a few years you'll be in the six figure salary range no problem. They put me under the "care" of a manager who had no idea what she was doing and had very poor social and people skills, and wasn't a very nice person in general. From what I understand she's dropped several reps since she's been in a management position. You'll set appointments and a good portion of them won't keep, which I was told was a normality. "Keep up the good work your phone calls are awesome," but then when appointments still aren't kept they'll turn around and tell you that your phone skills are very poor and need work. You won't trust your upper management team, so how are you supposed to trust them with people who you care about and their money?! They'll ask you to do shady things such as transfer someone's entire life savings into an indexed universal life policy even when the "rules" state you should never do more than half of someone's savings. The reason they do it...? The payout, is much larger on insurance policies even though when you first start you'll only see 10% of the payout... This place was an absolute nightmare. You want to know how much they care about their clients? Ask to take a look in one of the vacant back offices and look at the stacks upon stacks of former and current client files that are just tossed aside that no one cares about and no one cares to do anything about it. These files sometimes contain people's livelihoods. Please save yourself the anxt and go somewhere else...

Keep up the good work...

Don't Bother

Former Employee - Financial Executive
    Former Employee - Financial Executive

I worked at Trilogy Financial Services full-time for more than a year

Pros

The culture of the company is very close-knit and comfortable, and the company does provide the tools for a basic start to a financial advisor career. The training program is good for the fundamentals of the industry and is relevant to the business model the company pushes.

Cons

However, despite claims of "independence", the selection of funds is really limited to the basic fund families as well as a group of basic products. During the interview process and subsequent training, there is a lack of transparency when it comes to exactly how much money one will make. If the connections aren't there or the networking doesn't yield desired contacts, there is very little room for advancement, regardless of the business one does. The business model begins with the premise of using personal contacts to start building clientele, but aside from that first piece, there is very little help offered besides the occasional event or piece of advice for direction.

Be a bit more transparent when it comes to actual income earned, especially in terms of E&O insurance and how it impacts an advisor. Be more helpful to new financial advisors, especially ones who lack a network to build their clientele.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Short but sweet

Former Employee - Financial Executive  in  Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Financial Executive in Irvine, CA

I worked at Trilogy Financial Services full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great work environment, a lot of education

Cons

Very high E/O insurance rates

Always Moving Forward

Current Employee - Happy Employee  in  Huntington Beach, CA
    Current Employee - Happy Employee in Huntington Beach, CA

I have been working at Trilogy Financial Services full-time for more than a year

Pros

Work Life Balance is a real thing at Trilogy. No micromanaging with the flexibility to think outside the box, it allows the employees to feel open to make suggestion and actually see them come to fruition.

Cons

Not enough incentives for non sales employees

Keep doing a great job of creating a great work environment. It means a lot.

Trilogy is a place where work is purposeful, hard work is rewarded, and personal growth is obtainable.

Current Employee - Recruiting Coordinator
    Current Employee - Recruiting Coordinator

Pros

FLEXIBILITY! Holidays "aren't paid" due to the fact that the employee gets to choose, is not told, when to use their rather generous amount of PTO. Hours are set but you have the ability to make up time missed if there is work to be done. Overtime is a rarity as Trilogy firmly promotes work/life balance.
    POSITIVE WORK PLACE! Negative energy is not welcomed. Trilogy management, in my opinion, strives to create an environment that is both professional and warm. Colleagues work collaboratively and efficiently. Laughter is a constant throughout the office. Trilogy truly wishes to create a workplace where employees feel part of a big family rather than a just a corporation.
    PURPOSEFUL WORK! In the recruiting department, it is our job to find individuals who will become an asset and contribute to the growth of Trilogy. In addition to those qualities, we search for people who will put others before themselves, can think outside of the box, have a strong work ethic, and a desire to commit long term to become part of something greater.

Cons

There isn't a lot of room for growth in my department. However, with the growth of the company I'm optimistic that new opportunities will become present.

I worked at Trilogy Financial Services

Pros

Not a big deal if you come in late. Everyone else does.

Cons

No paid holidays, management doesn't really give at all about you. They'll promote you to Manager /Supervisor and you'll get all the headaches they can give you but don't expect a raise. You'll stay hourly and you still won't be paid for holidays. They hire people who are desperate because those people they can get for cheap. Good economics I guess.

Take better care of your admin employees. They support you. You should support them and pay them a livable wage not minimum wage (sorry you pay $2 more than min wage) . Maybe if you Increase their salaries and match their 401k so they have something to retire on wouldn't be such a bad thing and than maybe the reviews about you will be true.

Great place to work

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant  in  Huntington Beach, CA
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Huntington Beach, CA

I have been working at Trilogy Financial Services full-time

Pros

Lots of freedom. Great co-workers. Supportive managers. Lots of growth opportunity.

Cons

Ok, so I will agree that the starting wages for admin are low but I know that as people show knowledge and efficiency, wages increase pretty fast. If you are in it for the long haul (where you are looking to grow and be part of the bigger picture) and not just looking for a job for the now, this is the place to be.

So the trips, bonuses, and other perks are great for the financial advisors but what about admin people? Thank you for the annual bonuses but I wish there was a way we could earn a bonus more often. An admin retreat would be great! =)

Keep up the Good Work Trilogy!

Current Employee - Supervisor  in  Huntington Beach, CA
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Huntington Beach, CA

Pros

Trilogy rewards hard work and dedication. Provided the freedom to use your PTO time any way YOU want to. You can use it for the usual holidays or save it for a special trip. It's totally up to you. I have never worked for a company that does this. It is very nice

Cons

Starting wages could be better however, if you are dedicated and hard working it is rewarded with compensation. There is nothing wrong with proving your worth to the company... think about it...If you were the one giving the money you would make sure the person is earning it. Nobody would be paid for doing nothing..

Keep doing a great job!!

A great job ... if you're either connected or stick with it for years"

Current Employee - Financial Executive  in  San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Financial Executive in San Diego, CA

Pros

They paid for FINRA, and Insurance licenses. There aren't hundreds of people in the office, so you get to know your manager and other employee really well. It's a good stepping stool job, to get into a better job at a better firm within the financial services industry.

Cons

Some of the small print about the position is disclosed in the hiring process ... some information won't be divulged unless you know to ask them, or until several weeks after officially being "on the job." They expect you to pay your bonded agent fee (about $350) a month - and Trilogy itself is not a Broker/Dealer ... they contract National Planning Corporation as their Broker/Dealer, so all your securities commissions go through a ridiculous third-party process. The end result is it could be months before you see your commissions, and it's very common for them not to be paid when they're supposed to be (they tell you it's up to you to make sure you're paid on time) - what happens is NPC holds on to commissions so your bonded agent fees eat away at what they're supposed to pay you, so you end up getting significantly less (sometime none) of your commission. Moreover, the commissions are ridiculously low for how much they expect you to do. You might see as little as 10% of the overall dealer concession - this gives little incentive to go out and bring in new money when Trilogy is getting $1,000 (for example), and you're getting a measly $80 or less on an overall concession.

What they really want you to do, and they won't come out and tell you this until you've been there past your six month period, is they want you to be an insurance and annuity salesman. They'll expect you to get your 6 and 63 licenses, but I was highly discouraged from seeking my 7 and 65/66 licenses. They don't want you trading securities ... they want you to focus on insurance products. Once more, the training process was a joke ... a complete and utter joke. They have a two week training program you will do over a polycomm system (on the TV) where they try and get you to memorize scripts, and coach you on how to sell insurance to people who say they don't want it. During this entire time (pre-licensing, studying, and training) you are not being paid ... even though, like in my case, I was coming into the office for 8-10 hours a day for about two months before I ever saw a pay check (and a ridiculously small one at that).

They're also not upfront about the fact you're expected to do at least 6-8 hours of mandatory cold calling every week (broken up equally on three days during the week). I was also rather unhappy with the fact they really pressure you to run down every family member, friend, and acquaintance you have they think might have money. I had to tell my managing partner flat out several dozen times I was not soliciting family members for business. This met with a very a negative reaction from both the branch manager and my managing partner. In the end they see it as a question of who you know ... if they think you know people they're willing to hire you because even if you don't "make it" they can just fold what friends and family you do bring in into their own book of business and still come out ahead. If you happen to make it, and can survive to the (realistically) 2-3 years (at the very least) it would take to build an adequate book of business to actually start making a quasi-decent salary, then they win too.

They talk a lot about how they value their employees, but they treat you in the exact opposite fashion. I was told, in no uncertain terms, I was a expected to work anywhere from 60-80 hours a week, as well as on holidays, and had no paid sick or vacation days. In fact, if you try and take a personal day or vacation day you could find yourself in some hot water. There are also no benefits for the first six months, and once you do get benefits they are laughable at best. In general Trilogy Financial is about as cheap as it gets. They'll give you a bare bones work station with a phone (because they want you to make hours of cold calls every day), and every office has only three computers provided for employees (in a common area). And one of our computers in my office never worked. The computers were also about five years old, and utter pieces of crap. So, there were only two computers for about 20 people to share. And when you needed to prepare paperwork for a client meeting, or new business, you could bet you'd have to wait hours before you could get on a computer. The only way I could get things done was because I brought in my own computer.

Make your actions meet your words - don't be so cheap, and treat your employees the way you'd want to be treated. Be upfront about ALL the aspects of the job. And pay your employees an actual livable wage.

Worked for Trilogy Financial Services? Contribute to the Community!