Trimble Navigation

Updated November 25, 2014
3.7

Trimble Navigation President, CEO, and Director Steven W. Berglund
Steven W. Berglund

Pros
  • Employees are pleasant and you can definitely have a work-life balance working here (in 13 reviews)

• Stable job, coworkers are good people (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • no advancement, little discussion with upper management (in 7 reviews)

• Work life balance is what you make of it (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Trimble as a whole has been a positive experience

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Trimble Navigation full-time

Pros

I have been with Trimble as an FTE for 9 years. Trimble as a whole is a good company to work for. It is stable and it seems like the company tries not to lay people off during hard times. To save money they do mandatory company shut downs for the 4th of July, Thanksgiving and Christmas. While this is a hit to employee's PTO it's a good opportunity to take some time off and spend with the family. I have received a lot of good training courses and certifications during my time here, which is a major bonus. Trimble also has many good internal training courses such as Lean and Six Sigma. The good work environment and the very flexible schedules help to offset some of the cons, but not all. The health insurance used to be premium coverage but it's gotten a lot more challenging in recent years. I imagine this is due more to the health care industry as a whole.

Cons

In my position I do not have a lot of contact with upper management at the Corporate level and I've come to ignore most Corporate media propaganda about how great Trimble is. The salary leaves a lot to be desired and there really isn't much opportunity to move around in the organization to get a raise. If one wants to move into a new position, it will be a lateral move, with more work and same pay. The base annual performance based increase is 2%. Within my business division there is obvious "who you know" and not "what you know" who get promotions and salary increases. Even with the many training and certifications as well as successfully completed projects that had major impacts for the organization, I still keep receiving the same 2% raise every year. If there isn't any opportunity for self improvement through learning something new about a new technology or product, it just isn't worth it to do a major project at this point.

Even though our employee survey told management that we didn't like the "who you know" mentality within our business division, management continues the same behavior. Why have surveys if they are going to be ignored?

China Regional Sales Manager

I have been working at Trimble Navigation full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Very open, dynamic working environment; Treat employees well;

Cons

It is getting bureaucratic gradually;

Its slogan is 'Transform the work of the world'; it may need to transform itself first.

Entry-level Sorftware Engineer

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Westminster, CO

I have been working at Trimble Navigation full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Brand new building. The new space is wonderful, and there are top-notch amenities. Great views, great workstations, and a killer gym.

The schedule there is very lax. As long as your work is getting done, your schedule can be pretty flexible.

Medical and Dental benefits are pretty good. Kaiser, Etna, Delta Dental, ...

Cons

Compensation is tight. I was underpaid, for my skill level, and was quickly out of range for my market value. This brought on many tough decisions, since the other aspects of the job are so great.

Average company / not much advancement

Current Employee - Customer Service in Westminster, CO
    Current Employee - Customer Service in Westminster, CO

I have been working at Trimble Navigation full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits are OK. Good accumulation on PTO

Cons

It's who you know. Many long timers recently left from 1 div. Why? Hard to transfer to new dept & get a raise. Better to come in from the outside & apply. Avg raise is 2%

Some mgrs. make their teams feel uncomfortable by being too militant, non flexible. I your mgr has a favorite don't expect see a raise.

good company - little discussion about career advancement

Current Employee - Buyer/Planner in Dayton, OH
    Current Employee - Buyer/Planner in Dayton, OH

I have been working at Trimble Navigation full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

great benefits, work life balance

Cons

no advancement, little discussion with upper management

talk to your people about opportunities

Best Hidden Treasure among CO employers!

Current Employee - Consultant
    Current Employee - Consultant

I have been working at Trimble Navigation full-time

Pros

Great culture. friendly people, variety of products and services, opportunity for advancement, great benefits, flexible work schedules.

Cons

There are those who feel entitled to opportunity to advance without the education that others are expected to have.

In addition to encouraging people to apply for opportunities, help them understand they also need to take accountability to prepare themselves to be promotable.

Incompetent upper managment

Former Employee - Programmer/Analyst in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Programmer/Analyst in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Trimble Navigation full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Benefits and cool hardware technology

Cons

Entrepreneurial mindset is discouraged. Management will assign tasks to individuals that they know will fail in spite of being told of that probable outcome by the individual. It is mutually agreed to waste one's time to prove another manager wrong. People are pawns in some sick management game.

Be loyal to the employees who earn their salary through cost savings. Don't be cowardly when challenged by employees. The employees that don't challenge you are afraid of you.

Lots to do. Run well.

Former Employee - Account Manager in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Trimble Navigation full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

You can involve yourself in many areas and activities if you so choose.
    Knowledgeable management and very smart people.
    Good customer base.

Cons

Not much talent development. If you make a significant contribution it will go unrecognized. Saved a large customer from going to competitor over the course of three months, didn't even get a 'thanks.'

Allow people more freedom to move around/upward within the organization. In general management is above par.

Good people, bad upper management

I have been working at Trimble Navigation full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Majority of employees and even most of middle management are good laid back people. Your experience will very much depend on the division that you're in. Good travel opportunities, exciting and varied technology.

Cons

Being promoted beyond middle management is a "who you know not what you know" situation. Heaps of politics, nepotism and infighting etc.. (at least in the division I am in). Senior management has a vision but they pretty much keep this to themselves, slap each other on the back and fail to communicate this to the rest (majority) of their reports. As many other reviewers have noted there's an active "good ol' boys club".

Expect others to take credit for your work and innovation.

New hires get thrown in the deep end. An organized training program and material to bring new hires up to speed with relevant industry (construction, ag, survey etc...) would be beneficial.

Flatten the organization. Value talent and don't let it go stale. Respect the engineering division - they're the ones who build the products you sell.

Dwindling Commitment to Employees

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dayton, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dayton, OH

I have been working at Trimble Navigation full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Company continues to buy and integrate other small companies into the fold.

Cons

Lack in internal advancement opportunities, must leave company to get a raise. Continues to perpetuate the same bad management practices.

Management continues to demand performance while continuing to reduce salaries and benefits

Trimble Navigation Photos