Trimble Navigation

Be The First To
Add Photos

Trimble Navigation President, CEO, and Director Steven W. Berglund

Steven W. Berglund

Pros:
  • "Employees are pleasant and you can definitely have a work-life balance working here"
    in 12 reviews
  • "Cutting edge technology in certain areas of GPS, mobile applications and development"
    in 6 reviews
Cons:
  • "Upper management can't relate to lower level employees"
    in 4 reviews
  • "Engineers tend to get forced into management career path"
    in 3 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Overall a great company to work for.

Worldwide Support Specialist (Former Employee)
Denver, CO

I worked at Trimble Navigation full-time for more than a year

ProsThe atmosphere was very relaxed but with high expectations for accomplishing your work. The managers and directors always treated people with respect. When expected to work longer hours, management always was very thankful and made sure to return favors in the future.

ConsI acknowledge that it was during a rough time (2008), but I had expectations to move up quickly. I have the expectation that a business will make the bold decisions necessary to keep growing, even during tough times.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe open to new ideas and challenges, even from the people at the bottom.

Good company

Westminster, CO

I worked at Trimble Navigation full-time for less than a year

ProsInteresting work in a large environment.

ConsUpper management lack of direction

Dream work environment

I worked at Trimble Navigation

ProsCasual work environment, with relaxed, supportive management. Astute thinkers. Great offices. Exciting industry. Reward for good effort and hard work. Many loyal employees with decades (yes, decades!) of service.

ConsNo detractions that I can think of.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it up. This is how to attract great talent and keep it.

Smart people and products by acquisition, need process improvements

Product Management (Former Employee)

I worked at Trimble Navigation full-time

ProsTrimble has some amazing solutions in both hardware and software, but right now, many of the solutions that you'd expect to be well integrated with each other remain "siloed." (See cons.) Managers of siloed products are pushed to grow siloed revenue AND integrate with other silos. but unless there's an imminent deal driving integration, the push for the next revenue dollar on existing product wins, usually.

ConsTop management certainly espouses the idea of serving customer's workflow end-to-end, but they now need to create the right processes and tools to support product integration efforts between siloed products, and the working mindset needs to shift to a balance between building integrated solutions and selling.

Advice to Senior ManagementGood product life cycle management process, with top-down participation in prioritization and reliable allocation of time and effort of middle management to product development and integration, will pay off.

Don't Get Old

Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at Trimble Navigation full-time for more than 5 years

ProsInteresting work. Large company with independent locations. Some very intelligent and knowledgeable people work here. CEO is a nice guy w/o a lot of pretensions.

ConsCompany always looks for cheapest method. Each division resists change-- especially new technology and advanced research.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn from your mistakes. Use the knowledge and technology that you have to make money instead of cutting costs (moving manufacturing to Mexico-- that seemed like a good idea, really???)

Overall good company

Planning Manager (Former Employee)
Huber Heights, OH

I worked at Trimble Navigation full-time for more than 3 years

ProsCompany is very "flat" in management structure, decisions tend to get done fast.

ConsMany people are becoming increasingly stressed due to attrition. Management is more concerned about meeting quarterly numbers than supporting the people that deliver the sales and support of the team. Just "get it done" doesn't help the average employee.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake an employee survey to determine where the issues are to address the problems.

Good Technical Experience

Software Engineer Intern (Former Employee)
Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Trimble Navigation as an intern for less than a year

ProsFlexible hours, Good attitude and work culture.

ConsNo Cons. Need to grasp Skills as much as u can in a shorter time.

Advice to Senior ManagementSocial Activity to Employee Please !

How can such a promising company be so screwed up?

I worked at Trimble Navigation full-time for more than a year

Pros1. Trimble shuts down twice a year, giving ample time off (some of the time is charge to the employee, whether you like it or not).
2. Many travel opportunities since Trimble is a global company.

Cons1. Culture is horrible! CEO encourages in-fighting to see who rises to the top.
2. Communications within IT is non-existant.
3. Complete lack of standards and processes in IT and support of the users.
4. IT management can't make a decision to save their lives.
5. Performance reviews are a joke! They don't occur!

Advice to Senior ManagementScrap the entire Corporate IT management staff, from the CIO (acting) down. Make a conscious effort to develop an IT function that operates with a vision and mission and one that operates with standards instead of the "wild, wild west" approach in place today. It ain't workin' Steve!

Working with Trimble for nearly 1 year

Frontline Support Representative (Current Employee)
Westminster, CO

I have been working at Trimble Navigation as an intern for less than a year

ProsGreat People, good office culture, growing company with advancement potential

ConsCumbersome processes for nearly all areas; lack of formal training- fake-it-until-you-make-it mentality for entry level where only the best/fastest learners survive.

Great company to work for.

Senior Systems Engineer (Former Employee)
Broomfield, CO

I worked at Trimble Navigation full-time for more than a year

ProsCompetitive pay and benefits, flexible work schedules, good people.

ConsDepends on your division, of course. Mine lacked vision and execution for how to organize ourselves and work best to get the job done. Extremely cumbersome change management process, project management process, etc. Separate systems contained the same information over and over for different purposes, very frustrating.

Advice to Senior ManagementSmart people with good instincts were the only reason everything didn't fall apart. Don't underestimate or undervalue your people. Also, make the processes make sense.

Worked for Trimble Navigation? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Trimble Navigation reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Trimble Navigation CEO Steven W. Berglund. All 99 reviews posted anonymously by Trimble Navigation employees.