Trimble Navigation Reviews

Updated April 21, 2015
142 reviews filtered by

1. Trimble Navigation - employment review

I have been working at Trimble Navigation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Stability, Advancement, Locations, PTO, Environment

Cons

Benefits, Employee Expenses and Reimbursement policy,

2. Look elsewhere for employment

Former Employee - Sales Manager
    Former Employee - Sales Manager

I worked at Trimble Navigation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

After working for Trimble, I honestly cannot think of one legitimate "pro". The pay was competitive, so I guess this is a "pro". Oh yeah, they provide a select few with a cheesy chinesey Trimble jacket once a year. Yep, this would be "pro" number two.

Cons

Making the decision to go to work for Trimble was a huge decision for me and my family, and a mistake and a major setback for me. They have no system or method for on-boarding and nurturing new employees, and when it is time to leave the company you will be treated like cattle (ok maybe less than cattle). Treatment of their employees is very sad and over time I am sure this type of behavior will adversely affect their brand.

Company values are exceptionally poor. The hiring process is very informal and not well thought out, and neither is their employee exit process.

Leadership should be more involved with their team's goals and expectations, but they seem to be running scared (because of pressures from Wall Street) and have no time or energy to guide, mentor, or communicate. The company culture is overall very weak and non-supportive of their employees or channel partners.

Advice to Management

I recommend: better communication, training, mentoring, and some level of humanity and caring for your employees. Also, think out your strategies before implementing them. Be sure all resources are available before launching new initiatives. Stop shooting from the hip and be more systematic. Heighten your level of professionalism by training your leadership on how to manage and lead professionally.

3. Member Technical Staff

I have been working at Trimble Navigation

Pros

Good Environment. Kind people, a great place for GNSS engineers, or those who interest in navigation technology.

Cons

Limited Space and long work time

5. Stable company

I have been working at Trimble Navigation

Pros

Stability, work-life balance, Flexible work hours

Cons

Too much upper management politics.
    Work environment depends on the group you are working for.

6. Software Engineer

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Dayton, OH
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Dayton, OH

I worked at Trimble Navigation full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Nice work-life balance
    Exciting work
    Very good product portfolio

Cons

Compensation could be better
    little employee oriented training
    forced paid time out

Advice to Management

invest in your employees

Decent place to work

Current Employee - Packer/Picker in Huber Heights, OH
    Current Employee - Packer/Picker in Huber Heights, OH

I have been working at Trimble Navigation

Pros

Friendly environment.

Once hired on you receive a quartly profit sharing check. Usually ranges from 2-300 bucks after taxes. Rate is based on sales for quarter.

Benefits are affordable and decent.

Job is easy all the way around. A rock could do it.

Yearly raises. ..up to 50 cents per hour. Not a pro or con but thought i would list it.

Have a good management ladder.

Cons

Can be annoying just in general.

Half the time you don't get trained very long. They just let you go and see if you got it.

Hard to get hired in. Have to be buddy buddy with the right people. Took me 15 months

Not a lot of room for advancement.

Work most major holidays. The only one you really don't work is thanksgiving. They try to make up for it when you're hired on by giving employees EXTRA PTO time (floating holidays)

Advice to Management

Be more present

8. Fingers in many pies

Current Employee - Account Executive in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Boston, MA

I have been working at Trimble Navigation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

As with any sales job, the sky is the limit

Cons

Tough to navigate internally, no clear reporting structure, claims to be a market leader in every segment - which is not the case

Advice to Management

Middle Management, Promote from within

Trimble as a whole has been a positive experience

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Trimble Navigation full-time

Pros

I have been with Trimble as an FTE for 9 years. Trimble as a whole is a good company to work for. It is stable and it seems like the company tries not to lay people off during hard times. To save money they do mandatory company shut downs for the 4th of July, Thanksgiving and Christmas. While this is a hit to employee's PTO it's a good opportunity to take some time off and spend with the family. I have received a lot of good training courses and certifications during my time here, which is a major bonus. Trimble also has many good internal training courses such as Lean and Six Sigma. The good work environment and the very flexible schedules help to offset some of the cons, but not all. The health insurance used to be premium coverage but it's gotten a lot more challenging in recent years. I imagine this is due more to the health care industry as a whole.

Cons

In my position I do not have a lot of contact with upper management at the Corporate level and I've come to ignore most Corporate media propaganda about how great Trimble is. The salary leaves a lot to be desired and there really isn't much opportunity to move around in the organization to get a raise. If one wants to move into a new position, it will be a lateral move, with more work and same pay. The base annual performance based increase is 2%. Within my business division there is obvious "who you know" and not "what you know" who get promotions and salary increases. Even with the many training and certifications as well as successfully completed projects that had major impacts for the organization, I still keep receiving the same 2% raise every year. If there isn't any opportunity for self improvement through learning something new about a new technology or product, it just isn't worth it to do a major project at this point.

Advice to Management

Even though our employee survey told management that we didn't like the "who you know" mentality within our business division, management continues the same behavior. Why have surveys if they are going to be ignored?

Entry-level Sorftware Engineer

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Westminster, CO
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Westminster, CO

I have been working at Trimble Navigation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Brand new building. The new space is wonderful, and there are top-notch amenities. Great views, great workstations, and a killer gym.

The schedule there is very lax. As long as your work is getting done, your schedule can be pretty flexible.

Medical and Dental benefits are pretty good. Kaiser, Etna, Delta Dental, ...

Cons

Compensation is tight. I was underpaid, for my skill level, and was quickly out of range for my market value. This brought on many tough decisions, since the other aspects of the job are so great.

China Regional Sales Manager

I have been working at Trimble Navigation full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Very open, dynamic working environment; Treat employees well;

Cons

It is getting bureaucratic gradually;

Advice to Management

Its slogan is 'Transform the work of the world'; it may need to transform itself first.

Trimble Navigation Photos