Trinity College (Connecticut)

3.9
James F. Jones Jr.

1. Visiting Assistant Professor

I worked at Trinity College (Connecticut) full-time

Pros

Facilities are top-notch. Campus is great. No problems with HR, payroll, etc. Students are very talented.

Cons

Trinity College represents a cross-section of the American one-percenters. That could be troubling to some people. I found it kind of fascinating, but it's an interesting culture.

2. Great Place to be as a student or worker

I have been working at Trinity College (Connecticut)

Pros

Friendly Environment Free Lunch for certain positions Gym access for all staff

Cons

May be difficult to balance work/life depending on position

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees advice more often.

3. I had a great time working at Trinity College in the IT department.

Current Employee - Instructional Technologist in Hartford, CT
    Current Employee - Instructional Technologist in Hartford, CT

I have been working at Trinity College (Connecticut) part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good, relaxed working environment. You get close to your coworkers and bosses. I would recommend it to anyone!

Cons

The IT department is in the basement of the library, so you feel like you're enclosed. However, some people have desks by the window, which is nice.

5. Enriching experience if you push yourself because they won't push for you.

Current Employee - Manager of Online Presence in Hartford, CT
    Current Employee - Manager of Online Presence in Hartford, CT

I have been working at Trinity College (Connecticut)

Pros

Projects are self-motivated so you can take them as far as your imagination runs.

Cons

Would like more structure in the sense that the supervisor has a clear vision for projects.

Advice to Management

Follow up on employee requests and suggestions to improve the company even if your answer may be no.

6. Lifeguard

Current Employee - Lifeguard in Hartford, CT
    Current Employee - Lifeguard in Hartford, CT

I have been working at Trinity College (Connecticut)

Pros

Daytime and Nighttime hours, understanding boss, only on the stand for half of the full time, relaxing, good staff, easy.

Cons

It is really very hot inside the pool area, there are no weekend hours, sometimes kids from outside the college come and have practice and are loud.

7. Loved my experience working at Trinity College in IT

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hartford, CT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hartford, CT

I have been working at Trinity College (Connecticut)

Pros

- Very laid back atmosphere - Coworkers all seem to be good people who care about each other - Management was never unreasonable

Cons

- Promotions were a bit hard to come by - I personally didn't feel like I was going to gain any industry critical skills while working there

8. I worked for superiors who were incompetent and control freaks; my skills and talents were ignored and marginalized.

I worked at Trinity College (Connecticut) full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good salary, benefits and working conditions. Great faculty and students. Beautiful campus, although in a bad neighborhood in Hartford.

Cons

Administrators were incompetent and lacked focus and direction, although there is a new president so things may have changed. Administration did not value respectful suggestions and if you disagreed with their dumb decisions, you were not considered a team player. A lot of cliquishness among staff. Promotions were hard to come by because people were pigeon-holed. Consultants said most silted campus they had even seen.

Advice to Management

Need a more inclusive environment where everyone's opinions are respected.

9. Good job as a student

I have been working at Trinity College (Connecticut)

Pros

It was a rather interesting set of challenges provided. Being a small school, got a lot of freedom and working there helped out a lot with the degree I was pursuing too.

Cons

Worked odd hours, but it was mostly okay as long as work was done.

10. Great work culture, and great people

Current Employee - Assistant Director in Hartford, CT
    Current Employee - Assistant Director in Hartford, CT

I have been working at Trinity College (Connecticut) full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I've been working at Trinity College for nine years now. Like any job, it's got its highs and lows, but every day I drive to work I feel excited and challenged. The best part about Trinity (even above the great benefits) is the people. Almost all of the people that work here care about what they do, carry themselves professionally, and are always looking to make those around them better too. It's a diverse, talented, and caring staff, and that makes for a work environment that is tough to replace, which sometimes people don't always remember. There is also a new President at Trinity - a very warm person, but also someone that keeps expectations high, which is important at any top tier college.

Cons

Some would argue that the location is a con. I would argue the opposite. Trinity is located in Hartford, Conn., a small city that has made great strides in recent years and is about five years away from being a city that people will want to live in, rather than have to. For many, that change has already happened, mostly due to the thriving restaurant scene and noteworthy arts and cultural offerings of the city. Hartford is basically a baby Brooklyn, but with better access to open fields, hiking trails, etc. It's also an easy drive to both Boston and New York.

Advice to Management

People don't necessarily understand how good of a school Trinity really is. Stay humble and keep focusing on offering a high quality product, and that will happen.

11. Director in Administration

Current Employee - Assistant Director of Career Development in Hartford, CT
    Current Employee - Assistant Director of Career Development in Hartford, CT

I have been working at Trinity College (Connecticut) full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Beautiful campus, some nice people.

Cons

Don't feel safe, poor communications across departments, no advancement opportunities. School doesn't know who they want to be. Falling in the rankings, lots of negative momentum, alumni turning away from donating to the school.

Advice to Management

Figure out who you want to be...what is your desired brand, and then execute to your brand. All departments need to work well together, and the Board should not be made up of just millionaires.

RSS Feed </> Embed