Trinity College Dublin

Updated August 16, 2014
Updated August 16, 2014

3.3

CEO

I enjoyed my work with TCD.

Pros

It's in the centre of Dublin, and you're surrounded by academia. Moreover the pay is good.

Cons

I have no complaints regarding the work I did at TCD.

The best academic working environment

Former Employee - Postdoctoral Researcher  in  Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)
    Former Employee - Postdoctoral Researcher in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

Pros

The researcher has the greatest research freedom and respect. The mentor and supervisor worked closely with the team to ensure the process and quality of the ongoing projects. The best place to explore and research your area.

Cons

The reputation of Trinity makes it a traditional research institute. Therefore, there are a lot traditions to follow. I personally think the tradition of Trinity is a positive factor rather than a negative one.

I strongly recommend to study and research in this University.

Teaching seminars

Former Employee - Seminarist  in  Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)
    Former Employee - Seminarist in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

Pros

Law School is a nice environment in which to work. The content of the seminars you teach depends upon the course you are teaching.

Cons

Some staff offer little guidance as to the content of the seminars.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Research PhD in Physics

Current Employee - Postgraduate Researcher  in  Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)
    Current Employee - Postgraduate Researcher in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

Pros

TCD is a highly renowned college with a great standard of academic practice and a well respected nanoscience and nanotechnology institute on-site. A research PhD gives the candidate an opportunity to invistigate physical and chemical phenomena, with working schedules chosen by the candidate themselves. The CMA and AML microscopy facilites nearby provide world class imaging equipment for sample characterisation.

Cons

With this freedom comes responsibility however, with pressure on the candidate to produce results in a timely fashion for their supervisor, and also to compose enough publications to produce a high quality research thesis at the end of the four years.

great

Current Employee - Researcher
    Current Employee - Researcher

Pros

opportunities are abound, good funding depending

Cons

less international orientation and more collaboration needed

more industry connections needed

Flexible and collaborative atmosphere

Current Employee - Research Assistant  in  Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)
    Current Employee - Research Assistant in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

Pros

As a student research assistant I had the opportunity to work with an academic with whom I shared interests and got along well, and this made the job very enjoyable and beneficial. I felt like I was a valued partner to my boss rather than a resource to be employed for his benefit alone. However, I imagine this could vary greatly between academics.

Aside from this individual aspect of my job the great benefits were the flexibility, working remotely and at my own pace were encouraged, and the pay, other comparable jobs/internships are regularly unpaid. These were major advantages for me and meant that I could earn money and maintain a fantastic quality of life while in this position.

Cons

While there were many good aspects to this position, the actual daily work I was engaged in was very monotonous. I was essentially doing data entry for the duration of the employment and, while this was pleasantly stress free, it meant that I wasn't challenged or didn't progress my skills in any meaningful way. However, to his credit, my boss was aware of this and tried to involve me in the project he was working on in other ways as much as was possible.

This wasn't an issue for me but working closely with one single academic has the potential to be hit and miss. A personality clash could sour the whole experience.

Great location, friendly co workers, pace of some processes can be a little frustrating.

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Researcher  in  Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)
    Current Employee - Postdoctoral Researcher in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

Pros

Great central location, nice campus, pleasant staff, more freedom in work than you would get in industry, some of the equipment is of a very high standard, labs are well equipped

Cons

Delays in ordering, delays in having parts machined internally means projects don't progress at the pace you may wish

Good chance to work with open-mind people

Pros

Good collabration with indestrial such as HP and Intel.

Cons

Not good economy in Ireland.

Very good place for a postdoc

Current Employee - Research Fellow  in  Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)
    Current Employee - Research Fellow in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

Pros

Very professional environment. Good university for research.

Cons

It's difficult to find good students interested in research.

Atmosphere very dependent on department

Former Employee - Research Fellow  in  Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)
    Former Employee - Research Fellow in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

Pros

Situation in the heart of Dublin city is a big plus. Not too bureaucratic, especially if you are a good researcher you can step back from that as much as you wish.

Cons

The budget has been squeezed very hard. Unfortunately a large part of the cost base is attached to hte more senior staff whose salaries are protected, so junior staff bear the brunt.

Short sighted cost cutting is a risky strategy.

Worked for Trinity College Dublin? Contribute to the Community!