Trion Worlds

New and Improved

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Trion Worlds full-time for less than a year

Pros

Trion has learned from the difficulties they've experienced in the last couple years which something not all companies can say. This new attitude of honesty and accountability is one of the things that convinced me to come on-board. Trion is developing differently, allocating resources according to need, taking the time to think about what is best for the employees and the company and how we can all succeed together.

Cons

Every place has areas they can improve upon and Trion is no different. Training programs could be improved and the communication between the teams could be better but these are things that we're working on and will get better as time goes by.

Continue to care, to be invested in your people, to strive to be better. Keep that innovation and commitment to openness in the back of your mind at all times. We are nimble, smart, and savvy.

Great company on the mend

I have been working at Trion Worlds full-time for less than a year

Pros

Trion went through a rough patch last year and the exec team made some bad choices that led to layoffs and the closure of a studio. Since then, there's been a complete change of the senior management team, the company's been a lot more responsible with its budget, new talent is coming on board, the existing games are doing great, the publishing arm is taking off, and new games are being spun up. All signs point to a healthy recovery and a bright future ahead.

Cons

Like everything in the Bay Area, the cost of living is tough to swallow. Being responsible with the budget means Trion isn't paying the outlandish salaries that start-ups in the area offer to entice talent.

Morale is steadily improving, but there's still a tangible unease from folks who were here during the rough times last year. The best way to describe it is that folks feel skittish.

Keep focusing on being a great place for people to make amazing games for players. Share and celebrate successes across the company. People need to know that we're doing great.

Great place great people, mediocre salaries.

Current Employee - Game Designer  in  Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Game Designer in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Trion Worlds full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

New CEO has his head on straight and is managing the company into profitability and more success. Great work environment, smart crew of folks.

Cons

Previous CEO and upper management horribly mismanaged company and wracked up well over 100 million in debt, then cashed and and left us swinging with layoffs and over 2 years of pay freeze.

Keep up the good work.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

underwhelming

I worked at Trion Worlds

Pros

decent pay, talented art team

Cons

weak design team,poor leadership, weak business decisions, bureaucracy

hire better designers and build a stronger exec team

Change of management has been a huge improvement

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Redwood Shores, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood Shores, CA

I have been working at Trion Worlds full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Leads listen to good/right ideas, not seniority. Strong drive to do right by customers while staying aware of business needs. Complete change of management + Scott's return has resulted in huge turn toward stability/future potential.

Cons

Bay area is expensive for housing and the company does not pay rockstar startup salaries. Some people who have carried heavy workloads through the bad times are in danger of burning out and badly need support/solid assistants.

Continue ensuring that people who don't pull their weight or aren't suited to the company's needs are reassigned or work out an improvement or are removed. Keep your heads up, things are already a lot better.

Great talent lost in a void of management

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I worked at Trion Worlds full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Highly talented group of people in various disciplines. Pretty good work ethics considering the state of the industry as a whole. A few stand-out employees keep it going.

Cons

Poor management that is secretive. Horrible at disseminating information down the line. Leadership isn't coming from the "leaders".

Consider being truthful. Read some literature on ethics and take a good look at the current way the company is run.

Good company on the mend

I worked at Trion Worlds full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Open environment where opinions are valued
    - Fun office and great people
    - Ability to move within departments and move up available

Cons

- Had a difficult couple years and are still recovering
    - Morale is still low but on the upswing
    - Upper management is too "black box"

- Share more with the entire company in an honest way
    - Celebrate people who excel and highlight people who move up/get promoted

Salad days are over

I worked at Trion Worlds full-time for more than a year

Pros

Merit is valued over seniority. Hard work will earn you promotions. As with other tech/game companies, the atmosphere is laid back.

Cons

No clear company direction. Only an ace up their sleeve will save the company. Exec team doesn't know when to pull the trigger, in a good OR bad way.

Get familiar with sunk cost and opportunity cost. Learn when to recognize and use them.

Trion has good people but the business was not stable.

I worked at Trion Worlds full-time

Pros

Middle management was good but had to deal with execs that managed up.

Cons

Lack of executive leadership in the right direction. Not focused on training and developing employees. Hired a lot of "friends" into upper management positions.

Look out to the people that make Trion what it is.

Good Company with Good People

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Redwood Shores, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood Shores, CA

I have been working at Trion Worlds full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Trion is composed of some really good & and experienced people. And after some hardships and bumps in the road we have some upper management (Specifically the CEO) that is actually keeping tabs on things and trying to follow some responsible spending...unlike previously.

Trion doesn't force or pressure people into overworking (slaving). There is a good balance and understanding that people have lives and responsibilities outside of their job at Trion.

Cons

Because of some of the hardships, and because the area is so $!@#$ing expensive, some essential benefits have been cut which makes living anywhere within an hours drive of work difficult. Not only have I witnessed people leaving to work in more affordable areas, but it has also effected hiring and people's willingness to move out to such an expensive area.

As employees we understand costs must be cut and sacrifices must be made to help get a company with a rock background like ours back on track. Anyone who was around before the troubles and is still around obviously has passion and cares about Trion. In order to keep people around who actually give a $!@#$ something must be done to improve the compensation and benefits. Especially in the area of rising living & housing costs. The area is pushing us out and Trion is not doing anything to help us stay.

Worked for Trion Worlds? Contribute to the Community!