TripAdvisor Reviews

Reset
3.2
TripAdvisor President and CEO Stephen Kaufer
Stephen Kaufer

Pros
  • Great work life balance, fun atmosphere, they try hard to please employees with functions and swag (in 17 reviews)

• Free lunch, unlimited free snacks, great italian coffee machines all over the bldg and refrigerators stocked with every drink imaginable (in 31 reviews)

Cons
  • Poor performers are consistently promoted due to "friendships" they have with senior management (in 9 reviews)

• So far, so good with work-life balance (in 5 reviews)

1. Featured Review

One of the best in Boston area

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newton, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newton, MA

Pros

Really enjoy working for TripAdvisor. I think glassdoor can turn into a place to vent and employees can forget to add positive reviews so I wanted to make sure I left mine! Trip is one of the best companies I've worked for. Truly feels like a small company (great benefits, attention to employees, transparency) but growing so fast and seeing awesome success. One of my favorite things about working here is that if you have an idea or a way to do something better there is a strong encouragement to go for it. Small teams encourage collaboration and you really feel like you are personally making an impact on the company success. Also fun to work for a very well liked brand, definitely feel proud to say I work at Trip :)

Cons

Location can be tricky (Newton) but flexible hours and the shuttle helps

2. Account Executive

Current Employee - Account Manager in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time

Pros

Company promoted work-life balance, which some groups were able to implement within their organizations This is a great place for people who are clear on what they want from their career

Cons

Huge lack of communication and accountability

3. This Was the Best Company Ever

Former Employee - Accounting Consultant in Needham, MA
    Former Employee - Accounting Consultant in Needham, MA

I worked at TripAdvisor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This company really takes care of their employees.

Cons

I only wish that I had not had so many surgeries on my back because I am sure I would still be there If I had not.

Advice to Management

I think the management team that was there when I worked which was 1,2003 to 12/2005 was GREAT!

5. Contract to Perm Not Likely

Current Contractor - Interaction Designer in Needham, MA
    Current Contractor - Interaction Designer in Needham, MA

I have been working at TripAdvisor as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

- Lots of perks: free lunches, snacks, cold brew coffee, happy hour, full gym and more - Worthwhile experience, was able to beef up my resume and portfolio - Good team environment, most co-workers are approachable - Good pay

Cons

- More likely to hirer externally instead of looking internally first - Not a lot of communication from upper management - they seem unapproachable - Easy to get lost in the shuffle and forgotten about

Advice to Management

Don't say the job has "potential" to be temp to perm when there are no open recs

A New HQ and Perks Only Go So Far

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Needham, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Needham, MA

I worked at TripAdvisor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Free lunch, snack walls, gym, beautiful new HQ and amazing coworkers. I enjoyed some of my time here and made some great connections, friends and resume content for my new career.

Cons

Low pay, no recognition for those that go above and beyond, high turnover and a company that tries to be better than Google and cater to engineers. Work/life balance is a joke and working from home is frowned upon in most instances. Manage micromanages and senior management is untouchable and out of touch with how their employees view their workplace. Told to write positive reviews for Glassdoor when it goes against their own review policy for the site. Their is very little opportunity for career growth and TA would rather hire externally than give their own employees a chance to grow.

Advice to Management

Stop looking to hire externally and grow great individuals internally. Try less to try to be Google and stop taking yourselves so seriously. Give your employees a better salary and stop trying to "buy" everyone with free lunch and iced coffee on tap. Do an internal sweep on those people who are not pulling their weight and promote employees who work hard and deserve more. Stop making it so obvious that you only have a new HQ and amazing perks to get engineers from blue chip school that Google would snatch up.

Great product, scattered direction

Current Employee - SEO Analyst in Needham, MA
    Current Employee - SEO Analyst in Needham, MA

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time

Pros

Lots of traffic, lots of optimization to be done, lots of data to be worked with

Cons

Company doesn't seem to know how best to manage data volume and direct analysis to uncover greatest optimization potential

Advice to Management

hire more data scientists in senior roles

1st year in sales great; 2nd year job changed goals unreachable

Former Employee - Telesales Executive in Needham, MA
    Former Employee - Telesales Executive in Needham, MA

I worked at TripAdvisor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great company as far as benefits, people, work functions, free food and 3 paid company lunches a week. The people that I worked with were great, which made it half bearable. The work/home life balance was good and working from home when needed for the most part was allowed.

Cons

Poor management that didn't know what they were doing with little or no experience; especially, Team Leaders. Failure to put more experienced sales people in higher positions because the hiring manager wanted people from the outside. A lot of nepotism. If they liked you, you were all set. They hand you sales. If not, it is a grind and I worked alot of Saturdays and Sundays just to keep up with no overtime pay. They gave you 2 hours a week overtime. Favored the young, out of college employee because they don't know any better. Very low base pay - turned into a call center with talk times/calls counted daily. If you didn't, you were on the "trouble" list.

Advice to Management

Learn how to motivate your employees and fight for them. Listen to the customers and what they need/want. Don't be afraid to ruffle the feathers. Employees will respect you more and want to work for you harder.

Good company, cool people becoming sluggish.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Needham, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Needham, MA

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

New HQ Genuine people Perks, free lunches, healthcare, dog friendly, 401k match

Cons

TripAdvisor has become the company I didn't want it to. It now has that big company feel. Our saying is 'Speed Wins' but that might be true for a few silo departments. The company now has as much bureaucracy and politics as EMC or IBM. Liven up the brand and take some risks too many people are complacent and won't do things that are interesting, especially in the Marketing departments.

Advice to Management

Don't be afraid of Barbara and Steve. Be disruptive.

codebase is an utter disaster

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newton, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newton, MA

I worked at TripAdvisor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

good compensation. free lunches. lots of young, beautiful people working there

Cons

codebase is a complete mess. take one example: a fellow developer had made some code modifications to the point where a variable had the exact opposite meaning of the variable's name. but nobody dared to try to change the name of the variable for fear of what might break. people work very long hours, weekends, etc. i witnessed many incidents of bosses being downright mean and nasty to their employees, including yelling and demeaning comments. you will be spending most of your time fixing bugs.

Advice to Management

you gotta be nice to the people you work with. no excuses.

11. Great company, wonderful benefits

Current Employee - Senior Designer in Newton, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Designer in Newton, MA

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people really make this a fantastic company to work for. The work itself is also constantly evolving and done at a quick pace which I love. Lots of opportunities to contribute and see the impact of your work.

Cons

Limited growth opportunities are surprising given the length of time the interviewing process takes.

Advice to Management

Consider more thoughtful job families so that valuable contributors have opportunities over time.

RSS Feed </> Embed