TripAdvisor Reviews

Reset
3.3
TripAdvisor President and CEO Stephen Kaufer
Stephen Kaufer

Pros
  • Great work life balance, fun atmosphere, they try hard to please employees with functions and swag (in 17 reviews)

• Free lunch, unlimited free snacks, great italian coffee machines all over the bldg and refrigerators stocked with every drink imaginable (in 31 reviews)

Cons
  • Poor performers are consistently promoted due to "friendships" they have with senior management (in 9 reviews)

• So far, so good with work-life balance (in 5 reviews)

1. Great company, wonderful benefits

Current Employee - Senior Designer in Newton, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Designer in Newton, MA

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people really make this a fantastic company to work for. The work itself is also constantly evolving and done at a quick pace which I love. Lots of opportunities to contribute and see the impact of your work.

Cons

Limited growth opportunities are surprising given the length of time the interviewing process takes.

Advice to Management

Consider more thoughtful job families so that valuable contributors have opportunities over time.

2. TripAdvisor

I worked at TripAdvisor

Pros

Great work atmosphere. All coworkers were very friendly and easy to get along with
    Free lunches, snacks and happy hour
    Great team effort and management
    Work at home summer Fridays

Cons

I have nothing negative to say. I enjoyed working there

Great Company - going through some changes to make it better

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fantastic group of smart people. Interested in solving problems for their consumers, but sometimes a bit too A/B focused for revenue gains. Trip continues to invest, take risk, and grow their risk.

For a software engineer - great opportunity to learn how a consumer facing site with a huge traffic base operates. Ownership throughout the stack, fast iterative cycles, and interesting technical problems to be solved.

Cons

TripAdvisor has been going through internal engineering struggles as it deals with code base issues, a very tight job market, friction between engineering and product, and a lack of career opportunities. That is all changing as the organization recognizes the need to make changes and is unafraid to air the problems publicly and figure out solutions.

Advice to Management

Keep the communication going. Commit to the changes necessary to make the engineering group that much better.

One of the best in Boston area

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newton, MA

I have been working at TripAdvisor

Pros

Really enjoy working for TripAdvisor. I think glassdoor can turn into a place to vent and employees can forget to add positive reviews so I wanted to make sure I left mine! Trip is one of the best companies I've worked for. Truly feels like a small company (great benefits, attention to employees, transparency) but growing so fast and seeing awesome success. One of my favorite things about working here is that if you have an idea or a way to do something better there is a strong encouragement to go for it. Small teams encourage collaboration and you really feel like you are personally making an impact on the company success. Also fun to work for a very well liked brand, definitely feel proud to say I work at Trip :)

Cons

Location can be tricky (Newton) but flexible hours and the shuttle helps

TeleSales (instant book and business listings)

Former Employee - TELESALES Representative in Newton, MA
    Former Employee - TELESALES Representative in Newton, MA

I worked at TripAdvisor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

you get free lunch 3 days a week...only pro I can honestly think of.

Cons

EVERYTHING!!! Below industry standard pay, management has ZERO structure, they hire anyone and just keep the people who are successful and have massive turnaround (after working there for 9 months I became the 4th senior sales rep) . Market and leads are extremely saturated and if they tell you YOU CAN MOVE ONTO A DIFFERENT SECTION OF THE COMPANY AFTER 1 YEAR ITS A LIE. IT HAS ONLY BEEN DONE ONCE EVER!!!!

Advice to Management

get your ducks in a row!

Tough Place

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newton, MA

I worked at TripAdvisor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some great people but unfortunately, these folks are not empowered to make necessary changes. Great benefits but not worth the overall trade off.

Cons

Too many to list. If you work there, my advice is to treat it as a funded job search and be weary of HR. If you are thinking about working there, save yourself the experience.

Advice to Management

My advice to the Board and Liberty is to dig deeper into why your turnover is so high and why so many people are unhappy. Departing CFO, SVP Engineering and many other employees from all levels are leaving. Your stock price will continue to decline. Your company's brand will only take you so far ... it's about the people and your TA employees have been neglected and commoditized.

Great first job, limited career growth

Former Employee - Software Engineer II in Newton Upper Falls, MA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer II in Newton Upper Falls, MA

I worked at TripAdvisor (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great, collaborative engineering organization - full of individuals with deep knowledge of their field. You'll learn a ton about how to build software quickly at scale. By and large the work-life balance is appropriate although some teams death-march more than others.

Cons

Large, monolithic codebase that is painful to work with due to lack of investment in routine upkeep and automated testing
    Time-tracking oriented culture - your project time is tracked to the hour and reported upwards throughout management
    Although you'll be shipping code every week often you'll find yourself just moving buttons around on an existing page.
    A recent exodus of young engineers has left a huge gap in the culture

Advice to Management

Promote your best people regardless of their age.

Trying to hard to be better than Google...which WILL never happen

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lunch free three times a week
    all the snacks you could ever want
    Benefit package is adequate
    Great new building

Cons

Always promising you a future. I have heard it so many times... that there is so much growth! Dead End job! Only senior level and above make money. The only people management caters to are the engineers...and you have to be senior level to even be acknowledged. Everyone is Micromanaged here. Few are happy! We have a huge turnaround here. We lose people by the dozens weekly. Very frustrating. Giving up!

Advice to Management

Wake up! You are losing great people because of poor management.

Used to be a good place

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Newton, MA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Newton, MA

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-- Smart coworkers.
    -- Flexible work schedule.
    -- Nice compensation for new grads.
    -- Free food /snack.

Cons

- Engineer turn over rate is high. Most Sr. stay, but more SDE-I and SDE-II left during past two years.
    - Spend too much on recruiting Sr. people, but do not try to solve the high turn over rate.
    - Low salary increase, low RSU and low bonus this year. If you were doing great, you get 2% increase.
    - Managers do not have power to help your compensation if you are not satisfied with. Higher management level does not care your dissatisfaction.
    - Small teams with less engineers do not get higher level management's attention which means your compensation and opinions are not important to them.

Advice to Management

Higher level managers should care more about the opinions from engineers. Do not just stay in your offices and smile to monitors.

Great experience, fast paced and fun environment where they actually get stuff done.

Current Employee - Analyst in Newton, MA
    Current Employee - Analyst in Newton, MA

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time

Pros

"Speed Wins" is the mantra... the entire company works fast in order to stay current. It's great to see projects actually happen, unlike other companies where everything moves too slow. Well rewarded when you make an impact. Good people... and smart. It makes you learn more.

Cons

With the speed, things can be higher stress at times. (But the two free kegs available at all times helps). Titles are weird... don't match the industry, and can sound inferior.

Advice to Management

Keep this a "start-up" culture, and don't lose sight of the people actually running the business. I used to see Steve a lot more when his office was in the middle of the building. The company has grown a lot, which may create more fires... but at the end of the day you need your engineers and analysts to keep the company afloat.

RSS Feed </> Embed