TripAdvisor

TripAdvisor Reviews

Updated Jul 4, 2014

TripAdvisor President and CEO Stephen Kaufer

Stephen Kaufer

Pros:
  • "benefits are good, free lunch, outting, etc"
    in 27 reviews
  • "Despite the "Speed Wins" Motto, this company promotes a great work-life balance and encourages its employees to travel and have fun"
    in 13 reviews
Cons:
  • "Poor performers are consistently promoted due to "friendships" they have with senior management"
    in 9 reviews
  • "Sure, the company went through some growing pains, which is understandable"
    in 7 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Good company for engineers

Engineer (Current Employee)
    Newton, MA

ProsTripAdvisor hiring process is very selective and they hire top-notch engineers from top schools (MIT, Harvard), but TA also has no ass*e policy.
    Very technical environment. The CEO has software background. It's a data driven company.
    Very good perks: Free catered lunches 3 days a week, soda, snacks, pizza, gym on site, Mac laptops. Tech talks every Wednesday.
    Good compensation.
    Flexible hours, could work from home.
    The company promotes from within.

ConsHectic environment, some people put more than 60 hours/week.
    "Speed wins" mantra doesn't always work.
    The communication between the teams could be improved.
    Huge code base and sometimes difficult to maintain.

It really all depends on the people you work with

ProsGreat flexibility in schedule, good people to work with, great location and the company is making money. Benefits are good, some groups work well and are collaborative.

ConsBeing satisfied really depends on the group you work in. There are some people around the company who have been there a long time and aren't growing with the company and they are not so great to work for. They are more concerned with hiring new great talent from top schools than to cultivate the people they already have. Its extremely hard to move up or to another group if you don't have a champion. It really isn't based on merit but who you know and who likes you. You can fail at something and get promoted. Seems odd.

Advice to Senior ManagementReally disappointed that the CEO just told the world that he still runs a 2000 person company like a start up. There is a reason other companies don't do that. Maybe he should go study business.
    Explore the talent you have in house rather than pursue outside talent. Grow from within because they understand what is going on and will stay loyal.

TripAdvisor Dir of HR responded to this review Mar 19, 2014 EditDelete
    Thanks for your feedback! We agree that we work with amazing people--and that we have a great culture that includes fantastic benefits, flexibility and excellent work locations. Thanks also for your ... More

Great Product but Turnover is a major problem

Human Resources Mgt (Former Employee)
    Newton, MA

ProsFree lunches, free food and drinks almost all the time. Young, fast moving culture and a great office space, moving to an even bigger office in the future. Great product, trusted source of travel reviews, company is making money.

ConsTurnover! It seems like most of the groups are being impacted by turnover, a lot of employees have left the company for greener pastures, the performance rating process and raise %'s being very low for a company that is very profitable, seems to be the common thread. The HR team is non-existent, adds no value to the employees or senior management, and has had more turnover than any other group at Trip, even the most senior leader of HR left along with the leader of compensation. Not sure Senior Mgt knows how bad the turnover problem actually is.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire a consulting firm to determine the sources for all the turnover, outsource HR until a new team can be built from the ground up. Figure out the retention issue.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Ruthless Corporate America

Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee)

ProsCompensation is good and the stock is on a tear. Good place to work if money is the motivation.

ConsWork is not really interesting. You will work on a lot of one week tweak projects. Competitive culture. But also a culture of fear codified by a speed wins mantra. Management is cold and ruthless. Classic corporate America. The company will do well because of its ruthless attitude.

Advice to Senior ManagementCouple of token social projects will not really hide the kind of company you really are.

TripAdvisor Dir of HR responded to this review Mar 24, 2014 EditDelete
    Thanks for your feedback and we're sorry that your time at TripAdvisor wasn't what you hoped it would be. We've noted your feedback on our projects and culture. Whether small or big, we believe that ... More

Innovative and fun environment!

Brand Marketing (Former Employee)
    Newton, MA

ProsInnovative, social, foster teamwork. If you ask, you will receive...maybe not immediately but in time.

ConsLike I said, it takes time for ideas/projects to get approval. Little support from management so it can be difficult.

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate more opportunities to move up within the company, or even to explore other departments.

High growth company

Director (Current Employee)
    Newton, MA

Pros-Great benefits
    -Solid work/life balance
    -Good salary/bonus/stock
    -Free lunch and other perks

Cons-Sometimes stressful (during deadlines, etc)
    -Headquarters technology isn't great for communicating with colleagues in other offices

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to listen to employee feedback---in all locations. Communicate how the company scales its values and processes with global growth--and really apply it to how we work in the day to day and the culture overall (in all offices). But overall, great co with a strong future.

Good atmosphere, smart people

Analyst (Current Employee)
    Newton, MA

Pros- My team, and the people who manage my team, are really driven and focused. This makes work very interesting. We are encouraged to bring crazy ideas to the table and are given the go-ahead to work on these ideas.

- Work culture: Free lunches, team bonding events, casual, free beer, your co-workers can be your friends

- Data driven

- Engineers and non-engineers are given equal prominence (at least on my team)

Cons- Your managers greatly influence your experience at TripAdvisor. I am really lucky to have good managers but a lot of my other co-workers aren't

- Salary: Could be better :)

Super corporate atmosphere run at the top by power hungry close minded individuals

Sales Manager (Current Employee)
    Newton, MA

Prosthe common people at the company

Consupper management is pretty awful and only getting worse since they have globalized

Advice to Senior Managementencourage ideas and remember what got you there

TripAdvisor Dir of HR responded to this review Mar 19, 2014 EditDelete
    Thank you for your feedback--we're sorry that your experience at TripAdvisor isn't currently what you want it to be. Your feedback is very useful as we continue to focus on growing our culture and ... More

Quickly evolving company

Marketing Specialist (Current Employee)
    Newton, MA

ProsLots of smart people and perks

ConsSalaries for non-engineers are no longer competitive

not good enough

(Former Employee)
    Newton, MA

Prosit provides convenience for employees because it offers lunch 3 days a week. And other company wide benefits are good.

Consthe team started to get messy since a management restructure last July. A guy came in and became VP of this global team. He's quite biased and unprofessional. He brought a group of his people to combine to this global team. and he only valued those who he worked with for a long time. He didn't and never respected others' ideas and efforts and hard work. I am so so glad that I made the decision to leave there because I felt that I wouldn't have any career advancement if I stayed for 1 more day/month/year. Besides, people on this team kept leaving, mostly in newton location. people on London and Singapore side both complain communication issues a lot.

Advice to Senior Managementgo to some online/ffline management classes to learn to be more professional.

Flag Review
    TripAdvisor Global Manager, Talent Acquisition responded to this review Jan 23, 2014 EditDelete
    Thanks for your feedback. As we continue to grow, we know that sometimes transitions like this can be challenging for existing team members. And, we welcome feedback to help us better manage similar ... More

Worked for TripAdvisor? Contribute to the Community!

TripAdvisor Videos

TripAdvisor – Why Work for Us?

Exceptional career opportunities. Genuinely cool coworkers. Millions of people who love our sites. Find it all here at the world's largest travel site. TripAdvisor® is the world's largest travel site*, enabling… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at TripAdvisor reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for TripAdvisor CEO Stephen Kaufer. All 176 reviews posted anonymously by TripAdvisor employees.