TripAdvisor

TripAdvisor Reviews

Updated Mar 29, 2014

TripAdvisor President and CEO Stephen Kaufer

Stephen Kaufer

Pros:
  • "benefits are good, free lunch, outting, etc"
    in 25 reviews
  • "Work/life balance is encouraged, but employees have a high level of passion about their work, and it never feels like anyone is just there from 9-5"
    in 11 reviews
Cons:
  • "Poor performers are consistently promoted due to "friendships" they have with senior management"
    in 8 reviews
  • "Sure, the company went through some growing pains, which is understandable"
    in 7 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

No Consistency

Human Resources (Current Employee)
Newton, MA

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time

ProsGreat product, lots of interesting projects
Company in acquisition mode, exciting new additions to portfolio
Free snacks and drinks, free beer

ConsConsistency-no consistency regarding promotions, its a who you know environment
The chosen ones at the VP level get to take paid sabbaticals while everyone else is working at night and on the weekends
HR continues to be a non value add entity and it seems nobody in HR works a 40 hour workweek, some don't work on Fridays all year long.

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate a more all for one, one for all atmosphere.
Eliminate the sabbaticals for the VP's, or create a program where everyone gets one after 5 years or something

Fine

Software Engineer (Current Employee)
Newton, MA

I have been working at TripAdvisor as an intern for less than a year

ProsLots of random perks. Pretty relaxed office

ConsMuch of the work was rather boring. The feel of the office was like it was still trying to be a cool startup when it really is just a corporate enterprise.

Overall is a good company

Engineer Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at TripAdvisor full-time for more than a year

ProsFriendly working environment, Employee are helpful and friendly to each other

ConsThe website has been the same for many many years, a little slow in the innovation side

Good company. Could easily be even better.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at TripAdvisor full-time for less than a year

ProsGreat work/life balance.
Fun culture.
Nice facility.
Pay was okay.

ConsLocation. The headquarters is in a suburb of Boston. Hard to get cabs, and not a lot to do in Newton, MA.
Too many temps. They have 100+ temp employees who seem like a subculture in the company. Also, they are all hired through PSG who doesn't seem to treat them fairly.
Salary is mediocre at best for anyone who is not in sales or an engineer.
Facilities and Admin have a "good ole boy" mentality that is opposite of the rest of the company.
The country music they play at reception seems out of place at a travel/tech company.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a new staffing agency asap.
Upgrade reception so it represents the company more adequately.
Integrate the temporary employees into the culture more.

The Communications department is a mess

PR Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at TripAdvisor full-time for more than a year

Pros- Well known brand
- Good employee perks, e.g. $250 yearly personal travel stipend

Cons- Leadership is not focused on coaching, developing career paths, or skill building
- Environment can be stressful
- Everyone does administrative work - "all hands on deck"
- Coordinating over global time zones is difficult and often it takes days/weeks to receive an answer to a simple request
- Projects require several levels of red tape, approvals, edits. The "Speed Wins" mentality does not ring true here
- PR department has suffered a retention problem - 5 employees resigned in 12 months

Advice to Senior ManagementHire a VP in the U.S. who has strong management experience and can be accessible to the team. Someone who can LEAD, not just execute. Hiring a new junior PR assistant to offload some of the administrative work wouldn't be a bad idea either.

In a fast paced world TripAdvisor can take you places

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at TripAdvisor full-time for more than a year

ProsWork environment is comfortable, people are friendly and the work is challenging. The company is always looking for new things to do and quick implementations to get things going.

ConsSpeed doesn't win in all departments. Unfortunately this mantra is carried over to too many things which can lead to rushed results and poor planning. Hiring for senior positions is typically done from BIG companies. Not a lot of promotion from within for Director VP etc...

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work focusing on the customer needs. Keep innovating, but look inward for talent and create that HR training program that has been discussed for 3 yrs.

High standards and great benefits

Software Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at TripAdvisor full-time for more than a year

ProsAs an engineer I actually enjoyed the requirement for all code to be peer reviewed. You can learn faster and you know that everything going out the door is quality work. The benefits package is excellent. I loved the recreational travel reimbursement.

ConsThe only con would be that there is no longer a dedicated UI team. Each engineer is responsible for their own UI with varying results. My understanding is they broke up the UI team a few years ago in favor of the "speed wins" mantra.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe website could benefit from a dedicated UI team.

Smart group of people, fantastic benefits

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time for less than a year

Travel benefits
Fitness reimbursement
On-site gym
Good work/life balance

ConsIt would be easier to get to if the office was downtown or closer to the T, but the shuttle service helps with the commute.

Extremely impressed!

Global Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time for less than a year

ProsThe people are wonderful - very friendly, very helpful. People smile when you look at them. You can walk through the halls and see people laughing and talking and collaborating and genuinely seem happy to be working.

ConsOutgrowing the space rapidly, can be a bit noisy in all the cube areas but sounds like that is being addressed

Advice to Senior ManagementWould be nice to have one of two of the folks on the senior management make a quick "guest" appearance in the orientation program.

Ehhhh, not the worst place to work

Advertising and Sales Team (Current Employee)
Boston, MA

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThere really are amazing benefits from snacks, lunch, and lots of games. My team also had a great vibe and I really felt that everyone genuinely cared about each other.

ConsThe management never sticks to a decision and there is a lot of politics at mid to upper management level. This was very frustrating when you were trying to work on a project.

Worked for TripAdvisor? Contribute to the Community!

TripAdvisor Videos

TripAdvisor – Why Work for Us?

Exceptional career opportunities. Genuinely cool coworkers. Millions of people who love our sites. Find it all here at the world's largest travel site. Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at TripAdvisor reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for TripAdvisor CEO Stephen Kaufer. All 161 reviews posted anonymously by TripAdvisor employees.