TripAdvisor

TripAdvisor Reviews

Updated Jul 11, 2014

TripAdvisor President and CEO Stephen Kaufer

Stephen Kaufer

Pros
  • Great work life balance, fun atmosphere, they try hard to please employees with functions and swag(in 14 reviews)

• benefits are good, free lunch, outting, etc(in 27 reviews)

Cons
  • Poor performers are consistently promoted due to "friendships" they have with senior management(in 9 reviews)

• Sure, the company went through some growing pains, which is understandable(in 7 reviews)

good benefits; open environment; but poor management

Marketing Analyst (Current Employee) Newton, MA

Prosbenefits are good, free lunch, outting, etc
    helpful ppl in general.

Conspreviously there was a high level manager on my team, who really didn't know how to manage people. When trouble came, which he was supposed to take most of the blame, because employee did what he order, but he finally blamed the employee for everything. He was actually the pusher for the trouble. But thank god he left the team and nobody missed him!

Best company culture ever

Content Specialist (Current Employee) Newton, MA

ProsReally cutting edge company, flexible with hours and working from home.

ConsFor me there are no real down sides to working at TripAdvisor.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it up!

No Consistency

Human Resources (Current Employee) Newton, MA

ProsGreat product, lots of interesting projects
    Company in acquisition mode, exciting new additions to portfolio
    Free snacks and drinks, free beer

ConsConsistency-no consistency regarding promotions, its a who you know environment
    The chosen ones at the VP level get to take paid sabbaticals while everyone else is working at night and on the weekends
    HR continues to be a non value add entity and it seems nobody in HR works a 40 hour workweek, some don't work on Fridays all year long.

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate a more all for one, one for all atmosphere.
    Eliminate the sabbaticals for the VP's, or create a program where everyone gets one after 5 years or something

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Fine

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Newton, MA

ProsLots of random perks. Pretty relaxed office

ConsMuch of the work was rather boring. The feel of the office was like it was still trying to be a cool startup when it really is just a corporate enterprise.

Good company. Could easily be even better.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat work/life balance.
    Fun culture.
    Nice facility.
    Pay was okay.

ConsLocation. The headquarters is in a suburb of Boston. Hard to get cabs, and not a lot to do in Newton, MA.
    Too many temps. They have 100+ temp employees who seem like a subculture in the company. Also, they are all hired through PSG who doesn't seem to treat them fairly.
    Salary is mediocre at best for anyone who is not in sales or an engineer.
    Facilities and Admin have a "good ole boy" mentality that is opposite of the rest of the company.
    The country music they play at reception seems out of place at a travel/tech company.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a new staffing agency asap.
    Upgrade reception so it represents the company more adequately.
    Integrate the temporary employees into the culture more.

Overall is a good company

Engineer Manager (Former Employee) Newton, MA

ProsFriendly working environment, Employee are helpful and friendly to each other

ConsThe website has been the same for many many years, a little slow in the innovation side

The Communications department is a mess

PR Manager (Former Employee)

Pros- Well known brand
    - Good employee perks, e.g. $250 yearly personal travel stipend

Cons- Leadership is not focused on coaching, developing career paths, or skill building
    - Environment can be stressful
    - Everyone does administrative work - "all hands on deck"
    - Coordinating over global time zones is difficult and often it takes days/weeks to receive an answer to a simple request
    - Projects require several levels of red tape, approvals, edits. The "Speed Wins" mentality does not ring true here
    - PR department has suffered a retention problem - 5 employees resigned in 12 months

Advice to Senior ManagementHire a VP in the U.S. who has strong management experience and can be accessible to the team. Someone who can LEAD, not just execute. Hiring a new junior PR assistant to offload some of the administrative work wouldn't be a bad idea either.

In a fast paced world TripAdvisor can take you places

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Newton, MA

ProsWork environment is comfortable, people are friendly and the work is challenging. The company is always looking for new things to do and quick implementations to get things going.

ConsSpeed doesn't win in all departments. Unfortunately this mantra is carried over to too many things which can lead to rushed results and poor planning. Hiring for senior positions is typically done from BIG companies. Not a lot of promotion from within for Director VP etc...

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work focusing on the customer needs. Keep innovating, but look inward for talent and create that HR training program that has been discussed for 3 yrs.

High standards and great benefits

Software Engineer (Former Employee) Newton, MA

ProsAs an engineer I actually enjoyed the requirement for all code to be peer reviewed. You can learn faster and you know that everything going out the door is quality work. The benefits package is excellent. I loved the recreational travel reimbursement.

ConsThe only con would be that there is no longer a dedicated UI team. Each engineer is responsible for their own UI with varying results. My understanding is they broke up the UI team a few years ago in favor of the "speed wins" mantra.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe website could benefit from a dedicated UI team.

Ehhhh, not the worst place to work

Advertising and Sales Team (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsThere really are amazing benefits from snacks, lunch, and lots of games. My team also had a great vibe and I really felt that everyone genuinely cared about each other.

ConsThe management never sticks to a decision and there is a lot of politics at mid to upper management level. This was very frustrating when you were trying to work on a project.

Worked for TripAdvisor? Contribute to the Community!