TripAdvisor

TripAdvisor Reviews

Updated Apr 14, 2014

TripAdvisor President and CEO Stephen Kaufer

Stephen Kaufer

Pros:
  • "benefits are good, free lunch, outting, etc"
    in 26 reviews
  • "Benefits are good, some groups work well and are collaborative"
    in 11 reviews
Cons:
  • "Poor performers are consistently promoted due to "friendships" they have with senior management"
    in 9 reviews
  • "Sure, the company went through some growing pains, which is understandable"
    in 7 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Dishonest, degrading and abrasive management

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time for more than a year

Pros- The company was better to work for when part of Expedia but there are few pros now.
- If you like travel, it's a fun industry.
- TripAdvisor tries really hard to recruit students and puts their best food forward for the summer interns with fun events and outings. It's a facade and it's not like that for the full time employees.

Cons- Two thumbs down for senior management who runs the business in an unethical and abrasive manner
- In reality, everyone, from junior to middle to senior management, is simply a puppet of the CEO
- No focus on career development
- Junior staff is cocky and is starting to mirror senior management's style of yelling and degrading others. These are kids who are 0-2 years out of school
- Location. Newton?

Advice to Senior ManagementStop pretending to be a small start up company who can move in a quick and agile way. Understand who we've become and where we're going. Also, if you want to hire talented engineers, why would you move further west from Newton? Probably because that's where senior management live. Expect a lot of attrition to happen when the office moves.

Disappointing

Newton, MA

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time

ProsStarted when part of Expedia. I loved the benefits and perks. We lost some perks when spinning off from Expedia. When I started, the company was smaller, teams were about 1/3 of the size they are now and I felt as though the treated their employees like gold....with mediocre pay but awesome bonus structure. Snacks, lunches, outings etc are great...but not enough to create career satisfaction.

ConsVery poor management and very top heavy. "Lead by example" is not something practiced here. Nothing is confidential with your manager or HR. Teams are heavily micro-managed. Individuals who are successful in their positions are encouraged to stay in their position. Management is incredibly short sighted thinking you're best for the company at status quo instead of grooming you for greater things. They have lost many talented people due to this practice. Poor performers are consistently promoted due to "friendships" they have with senior management. That being said, promotion from within is incredibly limited especially when considering upward mobility within your own team. Morale is incredibly low. Annual raises are below industry standards and below cost of living adjustments.

Advice to Senior ManagementClean house. The idea that you can find better outside the company for positions instead of within your own 4 walls is shortsighted. No one responds to the confidential surveys honestly. My team is "coached" on how to respond...on every survey you send out. Have employees review their managers and their manager's managers in the way they review themselves. Confidentially; and not TA confidentially but truly confidentially.

Great benefits, lots of perks, exciting projects - lots of energy!

Newton, MA

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time for less than a year

Pros- Amazing benefits
- Great company perks - daily/in the office as well as events held for employees
- Things move very quickly.
- New products coming out all the time and opportunities to work on new things
- Lots of opportunities to make suggestions through contests, surveys, etc., regardless of job level

Cons- Much of the communication between departments is done via email instant messaging - most of the time that is fine, but sometimes you need in person meetings.

Advice to Senior Management- Much of the communication between departments is done via email instant messaging - most of the time that is fine, but sometimes you need in person meetings.

Great place to be an engineer

Software Engineer (Current Employee)

ProsGreat work/life balance
Very intelligent coworkers
Fast paced, small 1-2 week projects
Free shuttle to/from the office
Pretty much never have to pay for lunch

ConsLots of legacy code to support, can be a disaster at times
Office is a way out of the city

Great environment, a little heavy on the management

Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time for more than a year

ProsTripAdvisor treats their employees like gold! The benefits (other than vacation time) are the best around and the people working here are genuinely nice and smart. Truly the best working environment I have ever been in. I may have gained 10 pounds though due to the amazing free lunches and the unlimited "snack" wall.

ConsAs I mentioned above, they could be better about vacation time, especially for a travel company. You start with 3 weeks vacation, no personal days. They give "Summer Fridays" but you end up having to put in 40 hours during the week that you take a summer Friday so it doesn't really feel like a perk.

Also, there are a lot of layers of management that probably do not need to exist. TA could save some money by eliminating a few layers. They can get a lot more productivity out of the staff they currently have.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere could be better training opportunities in general. They bring in outside consultants sometimes but it seems like it would be better to have people on staff full-time since from what I have seen the outside consultants they have for training are not very impressive.

Great Expanding Company

Intern (Current Employee)
Boston, MA

I have been working at TripAdvisor as an intern for less than a year

ProsSmart People
Nice collaboration environment
free lunch
high growth

Consnot a clear path for career advance

An opportunity to work with extraordinarily talented people in a flexible environment

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time for more than 3 years

ProsUnlike their peer tech companies (Amazon, Google, Facebook...), TripAdvisor has the flexibility to allow people to move into new roles. If you don't like what you're doing, you can talk to folks and try out a new role. Engineers are regularly encouraged to rotate through other teams to get new perspectives and ways to work. In some cases, the movement is through to non-engineering departments. Again, unlike most places, TripAdvisor works to prevent the "round hole/square peg" problem.

ConsIt is a little intimidating to work with this many smart folks. You have to play at the top of your game. I would also prefer the office to be in a cooler location. Then again, we're outgrowing this space, so perhaps we will move.

Advice to Senior ManagementIn some small elements, shift from a fast-follower to being perceived as thought leaders.

Happiness means not working at TripAdvisor

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at TripAdvisor full-time for more than 3 years

ProsNicely designed environment, beautiful salt water fish tank, free food & drinks (if that's what your going for in a career move), some (SOME) really good talent, useful website and excellent Iphone app.

ConsCompany projects itself one way, but internally acts very differently. Hugely political, so plan to play the game and it's not always nice. Roadblocks everywhere. Very poor to no leadership. Creativity killer. So quiet most days (w 200ish people), I used to call it the morgue. No objectives or plan laid out, just day to day work, nothing to work towards. No collaboration, no communication. Non-competitive salary (I make a lot more now that I have left).

Advice to Senior ManagementLead. Inspire. Motivate. Manage. Like you've been hired to do. Recognize the talents and assets on your team, and tap those. Respect the members of your team. Take your ego down a few notches so you can actually see who is working for you. Don't (repeatedly) blow people off. Everyone's time is valuable, not just yours. Recognize that people come w skills and experience, so let them use them. LISTEN once in awhile.

A JOKE

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time for more than 3 years

Pros- great benefits/perks
- catered lunch
- gives back to the community
- smart people
- awesome product

Cons- HR team is a joke. talk about the most useless group in the company. if you tell your HR rep something be prepared for the entire company to know. The leaders of this group are the worst i have ever seen
- Managers who can't manage.
- Lead by fear and intimidation
- Speed wins isn't real. Everything takes forever to get done.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop promoting people because you like them. Not everyone should be a manager or a leader. This was an amazing company years ago. Talk about going down the drain.

far from start-up, close to stagnation

Newton, MA

I have been working at TripAdvisor

Prossnacks and drinks
catered lunch
video games (nobody plays)
alcohol
decent starting salary
great brand recognition
some travel benefits

Consas many others say, tripadvisor is not a company that takes risks. that leads towards a lot of complacence as well as frustrated/hindered talent. probably a primary reason that many have left, as i did.

marketing team runs amok with inflated egos. sales team seems to be a complete joke (leadership is epitome of wheelers and dealers who couldn't sell a product that required any calculated or strategic thought whatsoever, much less have the professionalism, innovation or foresight to keep themselves relevant for that much longer). product and engineering teams (just hire more actual engineers, and less ops folks) look ok, though seem to lose someone important once a quarter

senior management is fooling themselves thinking this is a start-up. you're far from being a lean organization, my friends. deal with the growing pains. reward employees that deserve to be rewarded. communicate proposed changes and request as much feedback as possible. put more things up to vote. take a hard look at your middle mgt because you have redundant and irrelevant folks holding up the contributions of direct reports. and finally: take a darn risk with a product once in awhile. the facelift for the site last year was ok but it's time to give people something to really talk about with your UX and interface.

Advice to Senior Managementyou're bleeding talent. figure it out. you're a company founded on the reviews of others. read this and the many others and you'll see the trends.

Worked for TripAdvisor? Contribute to the Community!

TripAdvisor Videos

TripAdvisor – Why Work for Us?

Exceptional career opportunities. Genuinely cool coworkers. Millions of people who love our sites. Find it all here at the world's largest travel site. Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at TripAdvisor reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for TripAdvisor CEO Stephen Kaufer. All 163 reviews posted anonymously by TripAdvisor employees.