TripAdvisor

www.tripadvisor.com

TripAdvisor Reviews in London, England

TripAdvisor President and CEO Stephen Kaufer

Stephen Kaufer

Pros
  • Great work life balance, fun atmosphere, they try hard to please employees with functions and swag(in 14 reviews)

• benefits are good, free lunch, outting, etc(in 27 reviews)

Cons
  • Poor performers are consistently promoted due to "friendships" they have with senior management(in 9 reviews)

• Sure, the company went through some growing pains, which is understandable(in 7 reviews)

8 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great brand, good margins, smart people

Senior Account Manager (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsDynamic, fast paced, forward thinking, smart, CEO accessibility (flat org)

ConsToo centralised and sometimes too US focused

It all comes down to your manager"

Sales Manager (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsGreat brand, great concept and great industry to work in.

ConsMany of the managers I have come across are not qualified as 'managers' - to coach, mentor, challenge and grow their staff.

Some managers are intimidated by smart employees and deal with this by micro-managing.

Employees are not held responsible for deadlines or delivery or work.

As the company has grown, global policies have been implemented across operations, sales, pricing etc. that do not fit with specific market needs and way of working.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop having favourites, don't be intimidated by smart staff below you and be proactive in managing your team members.

TripAdvisor Global Manager, Talent Acquisition responded to this review

Nov 6, 2013

Thank you for your feedback on our global policies and manager development. We recognize that we continuously need to review and iterate on our company policies to ensure that they scale as the ... More

The customer is irrelevant

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsSalaries are competitive, the benefits are good, the office location in London is very central.

ConsFor a consumer brand TripAdvisor cares little about what the consumer actually wants. It is almost entirely a technology/product focused company with little insight into consumer behaviour, trends, or demands. In other words, it's all about "the click", or the short-term financial gain, as opposed to the long-term view of building a well-loved consumer brand.

They still use pop-ups - need I say more!?

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great fast and energetic atmosphere, amazing multicultural job experience

Senior Manager (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsA combination of very smart people and the energetic and positive atmosphere that really helps you make a real impact in results and be at the center of the online travel business industry. Very good package of compensation and benefits, specially for well-being and discounted travel opportunities.

ConsThe size of the company, with more that 1500 employees, and the fact that it's now a public company (Nasdaq:TRIP) could make you miss some of the beauties of a the start-up way of live.

Great brand to work for and love the staff benefits.

Recruiter (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsUK staff benefits are good and continually increasing. Central London office is in a great location and co-workers are all very diligent people whom I enjoy working with.

ConsSometimes it can feel that the internal understanding/support for European teams is lacking, from the US head office.

regrettable experience over the last 2 years

Account Manager (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

Prosbenefits, location in London, commissions

Consmanagement, company policy about reviews control and customer service

Advice to Senior Managementshould be more on the field and understand the real impact of the website on hoteliers

London office better than Newton

N/A (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsSoho Square location with roof terrace
    Social committee who try to get engagement amongst people
    Multi-cultural staff
    Great product in marketplace

ConsNewton power struggle to maintain control across a 'global company'
    Internal politics
    Pathetic HR leadership in Newton
    No career growth pathways

Advice to Senior ManagementFoster more team work and spirit amongst employees - Newton is a morgue and london will head the same way soon too.

good place to work

SEM Analyst (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

Prosgreat recognition (if working in the right team/for the right boss).
    decent compensation.
    good social events (drinks, parties etc).
    management very approachable.

Consnot always clear who to approach/notify when things don't work.
    information sharing across teams could be much improved.
    company growing very fast, feels less personal than it used to

Advice to Senior Managementmake more resources available to get things done (for all teams).
    ensure information is being shared across teams, improve collaboration of teams

Worked for TripAdvisor? Contribute to the Community!