TripAdvisor

TripAdvisor Reviews

Updated Jul 11, 2014

TripAdvisor President and CEO Stephen Kaufer

Stephen Kaufer

Pros
  • Great work life balance, fun atmosphere, they try hard to please employees with functions and swag(in 14 reviews)

• benefits are good, free lunch, outting, etc(in 27 reviews)

Cons
  • Poor performers are consistently promoted due to "friendships" they have with senior management(in 9 reviews)

• Sure, the company went through some growing pains, which is understandable(in 7 reviews)

Great business, 'OK' Engineering culture

Software Engineer II (Former Employee) Newton, MA

ProsMany promotion and raise opportunities if you do great work. Many smart people to learn from.

Product is getting better and better. Business is doing very well. You will learn many interesting things about running a large website.

Company favors incremental changes with metrics and emphasizes speed to market.

ConsNearly impossible to do an overhaul of a major page or a component, because it's so metrics driven. But it does happen sometimes, if the person pitching the idea is persuasive enough.

Related to the previous point, it's hard for designers and engineers to innovate and get company to invest on various ideas so they keep those to themselves. This is reflected by low hackweek participation rate and low activities in open source community and local tech events.

DON'T BE FOOLED - TRIPADVISOR HAS A DARK SIDE!

Sales (Current Employee) Newton, MA

ProsA lot of down-to-earth nice employees to work with...you can make some great friends here. The company will give you some cool swag every now and then and some fun work outings to keep you happy. The benefits are also very good.

ConsSales is a complete disaster due to extraordinarily poor management. It's pretty bad when 50% of a sales team leaves in one month (and more to go soon) because of 2 people. A complete mass exodus is going on here! The majority of the junior and senior team are trying to move internally or leave the company all together. Goals are extremely inflated so that it is impossible to collect monthly commission. The big heads simply do not want to share revenue with the little people. Work goes unappreciated.

The structure of the account model is a mess. Territories were taking away...moving to an automated system which has been broken since January. The Speed Wins culture is a joke...it only means that they launch systems without thoroughly checking...resulting in larger messes and more fires to put out that before.

Managers have a closed-door policy. They only know your name when you are making money. The second you have a bad month...don't expect a hello in the hallway.

There is zero upward mobility based on merit. If you suck up to the managers then you will be ok...but if that isn't your style then you are out of luck. You can be a top performer but if the boss doesn't like you for whatever reason than you will rot on your desk for years to come.

So to recap - no organization, terrible leadership, no upward mobility, no commission...and some of the worst base salaries compared to other tech companies from within the industry. It's a great name on the resume but honestly not worth the headache and depression you will get. Also to put the cherry on the top - HR is corrupt and in cahoots with management, so if you every have a serious problem with your manager...don't bother going to HR.

Advice to Senior ManagementOpen your doors and start listening to your employees! Don't promote employees just because you like drinking the same beer with them. Don't talk about employees to your other employees...be professional! Don't be a coward and hide in your office when the entire team is suffering without commission pay and a broken lead model. Promote from within for once (this rarely happens)! Go to some management classes instead of thinking that you already know everything. Management is using tactics from 1952. They like to answer your questions with another question to avoid addressing your concern. Wake up and change!

Has so much potential but really needs to slap some wrists in upper management.

Anonymous (Former Employee)

ProsGreat work life balance, fun atmosphere, they try hard to please employees with functions and swag

ConsI agree with previous posts that poor performers are promoted due to "friendships" with management. Advancement is not based upon performance, it is based upon who you suck up to. HR is incompetent. When you reach out with an issue or a harassment case, they do everything in their power to sweep it under the rug rather than handle the situation. Those employees who do harass others are only reprimanded if they are not apart of management. If they are, forget it, everyone turns their head the other way. 360 reviews were supposed to be in effect for the past 2 years but still has not been enforced. Hoping that action would be taken if there was negative feedback. LOTS OF POLITICS

Advice to Senior ManagementTalk to your employees! The little people, the ones putting in all the work. They have concerns and comments. Take action when something isn't right. Have an open door policy for concerns so employees have a place to go when HR won't help. When more than 8 people quit because of one manager, I would start to look at the manager and not the employees.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to work if you're an engineer

Senior Recruiter (Former Employee)

ProsWork life balance. Smart co-workers. Can't say enough things about how awesome the engineering group is, I really loved them and would encourage any engineer to strongly consider working there.

ConsIf you're an engineer then your skills will speak for themselves and you'll be fine, but if your area of expertise is non-engineering, then company politics get in the way. Maybe every tech company is like that?

Advice to Senior ManagementFor non-engineering departments, consider peer reviews. In the case of recruiting, consider reviews by the hiring managers who interact with the recruiter.

Large organization that still can move fast

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat benefits, good people, fun industry

ConsThey hire big managers from large outside firms who come in and shoot first then ask questions later.

Advice to Senior ManagementTo the new guys - learn the system. It will benefit you well. To the rest - there is a lot of knowledge from within. Sometimes bottom up planning works well too. Engage with lower levels

product manager assistant/editor/product context designer

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsLove traveling. Get the first-hand info of traveling tips.

ConsNot challenging enough. Depend on the position.

Advice to Senior ManagementPerk up.

speed wins, employees lose

ProsGood benefits, some ability to telecommute

ConsSo much focus is put on making things fast, there's little to no focus on making things good. Quality suffers and employees, especially non-engineers, get micro-managed to the point where the output goals are nearly impossible to achieve. The sales department drives too much of the agenda, and given the valuation of this company, the pay is not great.

Advice to Senior ManagementThink hard about how important it is to make things fast. Eventually, if the quality continues to suffer, customers won't care. The review system is too easy to manipulate, and better models are beginning to emerge that will make TripAdvisor obsolete.

Amazing place to work!

Content Specialist (Current Employee) Newton, MA

ProsTons of great benefits, flexible schedule, relaxed work environment. TA is a company that understands the needs of your personal and family life, and is very flexible when situations arise. Exciting to work for a company that is still growing and has so much room to grow.

ConsI honestly can't think of any cons.

Great Work/Life Balance in a "Speed Wins" Environment

Senior Content Specialist (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsThe work environment is very collaborative and enjoyable. The company truly cares about their employees and offers great benefits. Everyone at this company is incredibly smart and you will learn something new from your peers every day. Things move very fast at TripAdvisor as the company still tries to keep its "start-up like feel" even though it is well beyond that point. Despite the "Speed Wins" Motto, this company promotes a great work-life balance and encourages its employees to travel and have fun.

ConsIf you are looking to grow laterally or switch tracks within the company it can be harder to do than at other companies. They offer classes in other areas to encourage their employees to grow, but in terms of making an actual title/role switch it seems hard to do.

The great stuff is fantastic and the not so great stuff is not so great.

Support Function (Former Employee) Newton, MA

ProsThere are some wonderful people across all the departments; very smart, engaging, passionate about their work. I genuinely looked forward to seeing my co-workers every day. Their benefits are amazing and they do a really great job of staying on top of what the competition is doing in order to attract and keep talent. They feed you great food several times a week and the snack options are free and have everything from fruit to fritos. They are incredibly generous about trying to keep their employees happy with "stuff". The CEO is incredibly generous when it comes to supporting a variety of charitable organizations.

ConsWith the exception of one or two folks, the executive team seems completely uninterested in what the "worker bees" on their teams are doing. I think in the time I was there the exec for my group spoke to me a total of 10 minutes and that was because I approached her. I never saw her walk around and check in with folks -- I recognize they are extremely busy, but how hard is it to take 15 minutes a few times a month to walk around their departments, talk to people and make them feel like having them there makes a difference? The company is not THAT big and if you are still selling yourself as a start-up then you should know the folks on your teams.
    If you want to be promoted WHO you know is far more important than WHAT you know. Being a SME in your field and working hard is great, but it probably won't get you promoted, it will just get you more work.
    I will still refer friends to certain departments or teams, but I would make sure they know the good, the bad and the ugly and let them decide for themselves whether or not they want to pursue a career at Trip.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe exec team needs to put an emphasis on something other than core engineering (or at least place as much emphasis on...) and be more thoughtful and transparent around departmental "re-organizations" that make no business sense and address needless attrition of solid performers.

Worked for TripAdvisor? Contribute to the Community!