TripAdvisor

Updated November 7, 2014
3.5

TripAdvisor President and CEO Stephen Kaufer
Stephen Kaufer

Pros
  • Great work life balance, fun atmosphere, they try hard to please employees with functions and swag (in 17 reviews)

• There is free lunch on Mondays, Tuesdays, and Thursdays (in 31 reviews)

Cons
  • Poor performers are consistently promoted due to "friendships" they have with senior management (in 9 reviews)

• So far, so good with work-life balance (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Great group of people!

I worked at TripAdvisor as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Great team dynamics and fun office culture. Learned a lot from people throughout the company, not just those on my team. And the pay was really good! You get a lot of independence both as a team and within your teams to work on your own project and really make a big live-site impact.

Cons

some antiquated tools and code holds development of new features back. they made great strides in improving systems like code review and others during my time there, but still room for improvement. for some another con might be the suburban, rather than city location, but i found this made the commute more pleasant (with parking being so easy).

SIMPLY GREAT!!!

Former Employee - Territory Manager
    Former Employee - Territory Manager

I worked at TripAdvisor full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The best professional experience of my life ... A good company where is possible to grow, learn, teach and exchange ideas

Cons

I left a good company for nothing

Too bad the US senior managers seem to don't understand that business cannot be handled everywhere as in the US. Please, please, please for the future, keep in mind cultural differences, language barriers and economic situation in each country before setting targets to be reached

Very satisfying

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Pennington, NJ
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Pennington, NJ

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time (more than an year)

Pros

FANTASTIC work environment, beautiful new office, excellent managers, summer Friday program, benefits galore. Best practices tend to be followed on a day-to-day basis, and it is clear that everyone cares about the product we're putting out. Professional development is stressed through the company's Compass program. I was able to complete CISSP training for free, and I'm currently learning new programming languages in addition to Russian.

Cons

The Cruise Critic brand is located in Pennington, NJ which is just about the midpoint between New York and Philadelphia. Because of the location it is difficult to fill Software Engineer positions, as many people are not willing to travel so far to get to work.

It might be a good idea to move the tech department of Cruise Critic closer to New York (or Philadelphia) in order to expand the talent pool.

Great!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newton, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newton, MA

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Amazing benefits including free healthcare, gym reimbursement, shuttles from Central and Kendall Square, free snacks, and much more

Cons

Not many, but some might pop up with the continued rapid expansion of the company. So far, so good with work-life balance.

Keep up the good work!

Amazing place to work!

Current Employee - Content Specialist in Newton, MA
    Current Employee - Content Specialist in Newton, MA

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Tons of great benefits, flexible schedule, relaxed work environment. TA is a company that understands the needs of your personal and family life, and is very flexible when situations arise. Exciting to work for a company that is still growing and has so much room to grow.

Cons

I honestly can't think of any cons.

Great Work/Life Balance in a "Speed Wins" Environment

Current Employee - Senior Content Specialist in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Content Specialist in Boston, MA

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The work environment is very collaborative and enjoyable. The company truly cares about their employees and offers great benefits. Everyone at this company is incredibly smart and you will learn something new from your peers every day. Things move very fast at TripAdvisor as the company still tries to keep its "start-up like feel" even though it is well beyond that point. Despite the "Speed Wins" Motto, this company promotes a great work-life balance and encourages its employees to travel and have fun.

Cons

If you are looking to grow laterally or switch tracks within the company it can be harder to do than at other companies. They offer classes in other areas to encourage their employees to grow, but in terms of making an actual title/role switch it seems hard to do.

Fast Pace, Data Driven

Current Employee - Marketing Analyst in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing Analyst in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time (less than an year)

Pros

If you like to be at company that's winning, TA is a good place for you. The company is very data driven and is both innovating and iterating at a pace that will keep it ahead of competitors for a long time.

Pay is also competitive and there are many benefits and perks.

Cons

The pace is so fast that sometimes it can be overwhelming. Hiring can sometimes be slow which puts extra pressure on current employees.

Dream Job

Current Employee - Web Developer in Ottawa, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Web Developer in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time

Pros

Excellent team dynamics, exemplary management, free lunches, great location, flexible schedule, good family vs work balance, very high overall employee skill level, great mentorship, and last but not least, the company raison-d'etre is awesome.

Cons

Harsh technical interviews, not in line with daily tasks & environment. Salary is good, but not great given the expected skill level & throughput

Management is great.

High growth company

Current Employee - Director in Newton, MA
    Current Employee - Director in Newton, MA

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time (more than an year)

Pros

-Great benefits
    -Solid work/life balance
    -Good salary/bonus/stock
    -Free lunch and other perks

Cons

-Sometimes stressful (during deadlines, etc)
    -Headquarters technology isn't great for communicating with colleagues in other offices

Continue to listen to employee feedback---in all locations. Communicate how the company scales its values and processes with global growth--and really apply it to how we work in the day to day and the culture overall (in all offices). But overall, great co with a strong future.

glad I made the move

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time (less than an year)

Pros

great leadership, free development classes (including language class), vibrant culture

Cons

sometimes feel too siloed in own group

TripAdvisor Response

Nov 14, 2013Global Manager, Talent Acquisition

We also love our new Learning and Development options--including the language classes. We have a ton of new classes offered all the time, across the globe. And, we agree that our culture is pretty ... More