TripAdvisor Reviews

Employment Status

Reset

not good enough

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newton, MA

I worked at TripAdvisor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

it provides convenience for employees because it offers lunch 3 days a week. And other company wide benefits are good.

Cons

the team started to get messy since a management restructure last July. A guy came in and became VP of this global team. He's quite biased and unprofessional. He brought a group of his people to combine to this global team. and he only valued those who he worked with for a long time. He didn't and never respected others' ideas and efforts and hard work. I am so so glad that I made the decision to leave there because I felt that I wouldn't have any career advancement if I stayed for 1 more day/month/year. Besides, people on this team kept leaving, mostly in newton location. people on London and Singapore side both complain communication issues a lot.

Advice to Management

go to some online/ffline management classes to learn to be more professional.

TripAdvisor Response

Jan 23, 2014 – Global Manager, Talent Acquisition

Thanks for your feedback. As we continue to grow, we know that sometimes transitions like this can be challenging for existing team members. And, we welcome feedback to help us better manage similar ... More

a really unpleasant place to work

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time

Pros

bright people, good benefits and perks, free lunches, games, fairly relaxed atmosphere

Cons

terrible middle and upper management - elitist, rule by fear poor communication blame is the name of the game unprofessional HR - nothing is confidential morale is very low and declining still favouritism is obvious and shameless too much middle management the reality of TripAdvisor as described in the interview process is not what you get once you're in If you are an engineer at TripAdvisor you're gold, if not, be prepared to update your resume/CV soon Quickly becoming a corporate culture with all the negative implications that implies

Advice to Management

Less arrogance is needed, stop rewarding or ignoring bad behaviour. Take time to understand who is in your management team and ask if they are really adding any value - or actually doing anything at all, for that matter. Speed Wins is not a healthy motto for ALL departments. People are leaving in droves for a reason - perhaps you should look into why?

No Consistency

Current Employee - Human Resources in Newton, MA
    Current Employee - Human Resources in Newton, MA

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time

Pros

Great product, lots of interesting projects Company in acquisition mode, exciting new additions to portfolio Free snacks and drinks, free beer

Cons

Consistency-no consistency regarding promotions, its a who you know environment The chosen ones at the VP level get to take paid sabbaticals while everyone else is working at night and on the weekends HR continues to be a non value add entity and it seems nobody in HR works a 40 hour workweek, some don't work on Fridays all year long.

Advice to Management

Create a more all for one, one for all atmosphere. Eliminate the sabbaticals for the VP's, or create a program where everyone gets one after 5 years or something

The Communications department is a mess

Former Employee - PR Manager
    Former Employee - PR Manager

I worked at TripAdvisor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Well known brand - Good employee perks, e.g. $250 yearly personal travel stipend

Cons

- Leadership is not focused on coaching, developing career paths, or skill building - Environment can be stressful - Everyone does administrative work - "all hands on deck" - Coordinating over global time zones is difficult and often it takes days/weeks to receive an answer to a simple request - Projects require several levels of red tape, approvals, edits. The "Speed Wins" mentality does not ring true here - PR department has suffered a retention problem - 5 employees resigned in 12 months

Advice to Management

Hire a VP in the U.S. who has strong management experience and can be accessible to the team. Someone who can LEAD, not just execute. Hiring a new junior PR assistant to offload some of the administrative work wouldn't be a bad idea either.

Disappointing

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newton, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newton, MA

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time

Pros

Started when part of Expedia. I loved the benefits and perks. We lost some perks when spinning off from Expedia. When I started, the company was smaller, teams were about 1/3 of the size they are now and I felt as though the treated their employees like gold....with mediocre pay but awesome bonus structure. Snacks, lunches, outings etc are great...but not enough to create career satisfaction.

Cons

Very poor management and very top heavy. "Lead by example" is not something practiced here. Nothing is confidential with your manager or HR. Teams are heavily micro-managed. Individuals who are successful in their positions are encouraged to stay in their position. Management is incredibly short sighted thinking you're best for the company at status quo instead of grooming you for greater things. They have lost many talented people due to this practice. Poor performers are consistently promoted due to "friendships" they have with senior management. That being said, promotion from within is incredibly limited especially when considering upward mobility within your own team. Morale is incredibly low. Annual raises are below industry standards and below cost of living adjustments.

Advice to Management

Clean house. The idea that you can find better outside the company for positions instead of within your own 4 walls is shortsighted. No one responds to the confidential surveys honestly. My team is "coached" on how to respond...on every survey you send out. Have employees review their managers and their manager's managers in the way they review themselves. Confidentially; and not TA confidentially but truly confidentially.

Happiness means not working at TripAdvisor

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newton, MA

I worked at TripAdvisor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nicely designed environment, beautiful salt water fish tank, free food & drinks (if that's what your going for in a career move), some (SOME) really good talent, useful website and excellent Iphone app.

Cons

Company projects itself one way, but internally acts very differently. Hugely political, so plan to play the game and it's not always nice. Roadblocks everywhere. Very poor to no leadership. Creativity killer. So quiet most days (w 200ish people), I used to call it the morgue. No objectives or plan laid out, just day to day work, nothing to work towards. No collaboration, no communication. Non-competitive salary (I make a lot more now that I have left).

Advice to Management

Lead. Inspire. Motivate. Manage. Like you've been hired to do. Recognize the talents and assets on your team, and tap those. Respect the members of your team. Take your ego down a few notches so you can actually see who is working for you. Don't (repeatedly) blow people off. Everyone's time is valuable, not just yours. Recognize that people come w skills and experience, so let them use them. LISTEN once in awhile.

A JOKE

Current Employee - Director in Newton, MA
    Current Employee - Director in Newton, MA

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- great benefits/perks - catered lunch - gives back to the community - smart people - awesome product

Cons

- HR team is a joke. talk about the most useless group in the company. if you tell your HR rep something be prepared for the entire company to know. The leaders of this group are the worst i have ever seen - Managers who can't manage. - Lead by fear and intimidation - Speed wins isn't real. Everything takes forever to get done.

Advice to Management

Stop promoting people because you like them. Not everyone should be a manager or a leader. This was an amazing company years ago. Talk about going down the drain.

Rough treatment by management team but great coworkers and benefits

Former Employee - Product Manager in Newton, MA
    Former Employee - Product Manager in Newton, MA

Pros

Gold-standard benefits, competitive salaries, stable high-growth company, smart and driven coworkers, great opportunities for young/new employees to learn and grow (to a certain point), easy access to highway for suburban people

Cons

Management team micro-manages, little room for experienced hires to grow, poor work-life balance, no thank yous or appreciation for good work, heavy territorial politics among senior management team, not easy access to the MBTA

Advice to Management

Give your mid-level managers enough guidance on what you want done and then back off and let them do their jobs. Stop reorganizing the company again and again.

Experience Depends on Who Your Boss Is

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newton, MA

Pros

TripAdvisor offers great benefits, but they're unfortunately overshadowed by bad middle-management and in my case, a horrible manager experience. Some of the benefits: - Pay is excellent - Benefits (health, dental, even pet insurance) are great - Free catered lunch three times per week - Unlimited snacks/beverages - Good number of vacation & sick days even for entry-level - Flexible in terms of time off/working from home (depends on supervisor, so I didn't benefit here) Also, TripAdvisor has a ton of great people who are passionate about their jobs, and you can learn so much from them if you have the opportunity to work with the right people.

Cons

My experience at TripAdvisor was horrible because of my supervisor. She got me in trouble for being motivated and trying to take on more responsibility (in addition to what my role already required), which is so counterintuitive. Although the company boasts flexibility as a benefit (working from home during storms or when sick, or adjusting hours slightly if you live far away), my boss was a nazi about it. One time I got into a car accident in an ice storm on the way to work, and went back home to work from there the rest of the day, and she still gave me a hard time about not coming in. Personal experience aside, there was also a lot of office politics in middle-management. Sure, the company went through some growing pains, which is understandable. But considering that the mantra is "speed wins," speed became impossible with the growing amounts of red tape around product reviews. Middle-management also manages by fear, so although the CEO encourages people to try new things even if it means failing, it's hard to take that leap when middle-management might hold your job accountable. Although they claim that they prefer promoting/hiring from within (essentially, switching departments) it's near impossible to do so. If anything, you'll be belittled for asking. Also, don't ever confide in HR for anything. If you tell one of them something in confidence, it will be the newest office gossip the next day.

Advice to Management

Steve, take a good hard look at middle-management. You claim to have a no-assholes policy, but you hired plenty to work directly beneath you. TripAdvisor has tons of great people who are smart, friendly, and passionate about making TripAdvisor a better site and product. But they're being stifled by several of the VP/Senior-level people.

Good reputation, but going down hill fast

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newton, MA

Pros

Good reputation, fast pace, free lunch, snacks, games on site, nice people (for the most part), somewhat flexible environment for work/life balance.

Cons

No career development, no pats on the back for a job well done, you're just hassled when things aren't going 100% as planned (think "office space"). Some of the worst managers I've ever had in my life - funny since the CEO says they have a 'No a-holes' policy. Lots of throwing under the bus at this company in general. No real leadership by management which leads to decreased productivity by employees in addition to things just not getting done or being done poorly. Management doesn't listen to employees nor do they treat people equally (lots of favorites played here). These reasons are why there has been an exodus from the marketing team in 09 when there was virtually none in years prior.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees - you hired them for a reason so you should at least consider what they have to say. It shouldn't be your way or the highway. Re-think some of your processes - speed wins often undoes itself Be more personable Re-think your 'no a-holes' policy - either get rid of it or get rid of the a-holes- you know who they are. Lots of managers do NOTHING all day while employees work their bums off

RSS Feed </> Embed