TripAdvisor Reviews

• Full-time
  • Part-time
Employment Status

Reset

Large organization that still can move fast

Pros

Great benefits, good people, fun industry

Cons

They hire big managers from large outside firms who come in and shoot first then ask questions later.

Advice to Management

To the new guys - learn the system. It will benefit you well. To the rest - there is a lot of knowledge from within. Sometimes bottom up planning works well too. Engage with lower levels

2. product manager assistant/editor/product context designer

Pros

Love traveling. Get the first-hand info of traveling tips.

Cons

Not challenging enough. Depend on the position.

Advice to Management

Perk up.

Great place to work if you're an engineer

Former Employee - Senior Recruiter
    Former Employee - Senior Recruiter

I worked at TripAdvisor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Work life balance. Smart co-workers. Can't say enough things about how awesome the engineering group is, I really loved them and would encourage any engineer to strongly consider working there.

Cons

If you're an engineer then your skills will speak for themselves and you'll be fine, but if your area of expertise is non-engineering, then company politics get in the way. Maybe every tech company is like that?

Advice to Management

For non-engineering departments, consider peer reviews. In the case of recruiting, consider reviews by the hiring managers who interact with the recruiter.

speed wins, employees lose

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time

Pros

Good benefits, some ability to telecommute

Cons

So much focus is put on making things fast, there's little to no focus on making things good. Quality suffers and employees, especially non-engineers, get micro-managed to the point where the output goals are nearly impossible to achieve. The sales department drives too much of the agenda, and given the valuation of this company, the pay is not great.

Advice to Management

Think hard about how important it is to make things fast. Eventually, if the quality continues to suffer, customers won't care. The review system is too easy to manipulate, and better models are beginning to emerge that will make TripAdvisor obsolete.

TripAdvisor Response

Oct 9, 2014 – Director of HR

Thanks for your review. You bring up an interesting point: As we continue to grow, we are maintaining our focus on speeds but stress that we need to do that without sacrificing quality or metrics for ... More

6. Amazing place to work!

Current Employee - Content Specialist in Newton, MA
    Current Employee - Content Specialist in Newton, MA

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Tons of great benefits, flexible schedule, relaxed work environment. TA is a company that understands the needs of your personal and family life, and is very flexible when situations arise. Exciting to work for a company that is still growing and has so much room to grow.

Cons

I honestly can't think of any cons.

7. Great Work/Life Balance in a "Speed Wins" Environment

Current Employee - Senior Content Specialist in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Content Specialist in Boston, MA

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The work environment is very collaborative and enjoyable. The company truly cares about their employees and offers great benefits. Everyone at this company is incredibly smart and you will learn something new from your peers every day. Things move very fast at TripAdvisor as the company still tries to keep its "start-up like feel" even though it is well beyond that point. Despite the "Speed Wins" Motto, this company promotes a great work-life balance and encourages its employees to travel and have fun.

Cons

If you are looking to grow laterally or switch tracks within the company it can be harder to do than at other companies. They offer classes in other areas to encourage their employees to grow, but in terms of making an actual title/role switch it seems hard to do.

The great stuff is fantastic and the not so great stuff is not so great.

Former Employee - Support Function in Newton, MA
    Former Employee - Support Function in Newton, MA

I worked at TripAdvisor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are some wonderful people across all the departments; very smart, engaging, passionate about their work. I genuinely looked forward to seeing my co-workers every day. Their benefits are amazing and they do a really great job of staying on top of what the competition is doing in order to attract and keep talent. They feed you great food several times a week and the snack options are free and have everything from fruit to fritos. They are incredibly generous about trying to keep their employees happy with "stuff". The CEO is incredibly generous when it comes to supporting a variety of charitable organizations.

Cons

With the exception of one or two folks, the executive team seems completely uninterested in what the "worker bees" on their teams are doing. I think in the time I was there the exec for my group spoke to me a total of 10 minutes and that was because I approached her. I never saw her walk around and check in with folks -- I recognize they are extremely busy, but how hard is it to take 15 minutes a few times a month to walk around their departments, talk to people and make them feel like having them there makes a difference? The company is not THAT big and if you are still selling yourself as a start-up then you should know the folks on your teams. If you want to be promoted WHO you know is far more important than WHAT you know. Being a SME in your field and working hard is great, but it probably won't get you promoted, it will just get you more work. I will still refer friends to certain departments or teams, but I would make sure they know the good, the bad and the ugly and let them decide for themselves whether or not they want to pursue a career at Trip.

Advice to Management

The exec team needs to put an emphasis on something other than core engineering (or at least place as much emphasis on...) and be more thoughtful and transparent around departmental "re-organizations" that make no business sense and address needless attrition of solid performers.

9. Fast Pace, Data Driven

Current Employee - Marketing Analyst in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing Analyst in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

If you like to be at company that's winning, TA is a good place for you. The company is very data driven and is both innovating and iterating at a pace that will keep it ahead of competitors for a long time. Pay is also competitive and there are many benefits and perks.

Cons

The pace is so fast that sometimes it can be overwhelming. Hiring can sometimes be slow which puts extra pressure on current employees.

Great Product but Turnover is a major problem

Former Employee - Human Resources Mgt in Newton, MA
    Former Employee - Human Resources Mgt in Newton, MA

I worked at TripAdvisor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Free lunches, free food and drinks almost all the time. Young, fast moving culture and a great office space, moving to an even bigger office in the future. Great product, trusted source of travel reviews, company is making money.

Cons

Turnover! It seems like most of the groups are being impacted by turnover, a lot of employees have left the company for greener pastures, the performance rating process and raise %'s being very low for a company that is very profitable, seems to be the common thread. The HR team is non-existent, adds no value to the employees or senior management, and has had more turnover than any other group at Trip, even the most senior leader of HR left along with the leader of compensation. Not sure Senior Mgt knows how bad the turnover problem actually is.

Advice to Management

Hire a consulting firm to determine the sources for all the turnover, outsource HR until a new team can be built from the ground up. Figure out the retention issue.

Ruthless Corporate America

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer

I worked at TripAdvisor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Compensation is good and the stock is on a tear. Good place to work if money is the motivation.

Cons

Work is not really interesting. You will work on a lot of one week tweak projects. Competitive culture. But also a culture of fear codified by a speed wins mantra. Management is cold and ruthless. Classic corporate America. The company will do well because of its ruthless attitude.

Advice to Management

Couple of token social projects will not really hide the kind of company you really are.

TripAdvisor Response

Mar 24, 2014 – Dir of HR

Thanks for your feedback and we're sorry that your time at TripAdvisor wasn't what you hoped it would be. We've noted your feedback on our projects and culture. Whether small or big, we believe that ... More

RSS Feed </> Embed