TripAdvisor

Updated December 17, 2014
3.5

TripAdvisor President and CEO Stephen Kaufer
Stephen Kaufer

Pros
  • Great work life balance, fun atmosphere, they try hard to please employees with functions and swag (in 17 reviews)

• There is free lunch on Mondays, Tuesdays, and Thursdays (in 31 reviews)

Cons
  • Poor performers are consistently promoted due to "friendships" they have with senior management (in 9 reviews)

• So far, so good with work-life balance (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Great company culture

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Friendly environment, great company culture that encourages personal career growth and movement within the organization.

Cons

Some of the reporting tools and resources used are in house and not as robust as other companies.

Good Internship, flexible hours, small fast teams

I worked at TripAdvisor

Pros

Good people, lots of fun. Located in Boston which is a nice change from the software's push towards California and NYC.

Cons

Not as many perks as other tech companies with which they compete for employees, fewer intern activities than desired.

Keep doing what you are doing. Could be more emphasis on employee satisfaction.

sTrongGre

Former Employee - Content Representative in Remote, OR
    Former Employee - Content Representative in Remote, OR

I worked at TripAdvisor full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Strong core values as a company, they really value employees. You'd be hard pressed to find better benefits. They care about their product and stay true to it.

Cons

Every job has a downside, my particular job as a remote content rep was great because it gave me flexibility in my schedule, but I found that the work was a bit repetitive and hard to do in one sitting. Not a big deal, but it's a little easy to burn out on. Great for those who need to work remotely. Pay is a little low for these positions, but again, it's nice to be remote and have flexibility.

great people, nice perks, extraordinarily poor management and unbelievably boring tasks

Former Employee - Software Engineering Intern in Newton, MA
    Former Employee - Software Engineering Intern in Newton, MA

I worked at TripAdvisor as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

- There are really smart and nice people at TripAdvisor (not ALL of them, obviously). But it's nice to be able to work with, and discuss ideas with your interesting co-workers, which has made my internship a bit more tolerable!

- Cool perks, including free lunches, snacks, fruit and drink, extravagant company outings, free shuttles to Cambridge, etc

- Hackathon for interns, where you get to work on your own idea for a week.

- Get to experience first hand what "All that glitters is not gold" really means! (It does seem cool to have a line on your CV saying that you have worked on the world's largest travel site, but if you believe there is more to an internship than fat paychecks and a big name, you might be very disappointed.)

- Get an extra $5 on your wage, when you get the return-offer for the next term (but seriously, think twice about more about the `cons` before accepting it!)

Cons

- HR and/or management is really poor (They left me waiting in the lobby on my first day for 3 hours because no-one, except myself, knew it was my first day. They then gave me one extra hour waiting at my workstation, which had no chair or machines, because these would come in the next hour. My demographic and personal information got messed up on tax and official documents by HR)

- The tasks are boring, dreary and poorly defined. There is nothing challenging or really interesting about the work. If you think the interview questions were a sample of the real work, you are wrong! This is by far the most boring, and intellectually useless internship I have ever done.

- The full-stack development style is pretty annoying, and it apparently makes the code base a mess! If you think this style would help you learn a bit of everything, which is exactly what I told myself into taking the offer, be assured that you would be better off picking up the tutorial from the web and teach yourself whatever it is that you want to learn, because all you would learn is mostly likely all the hacky and unmaintainable code, which you wouldn't even know was bad unless you have seen better code! This is also not a place for you if you are, like myself, not interested in spending hours tweaking some convoluted CSS/Javascript files to get things to render the way the managers want, as they keep changing their mind!

- What is worse is that managers always seem busy doing *something else* rather than providing feedback or expectations on your projects.They at times do not even seem to know what they are looking for in a project! It often seems to me that my manager does not care if the projects are finished on time, or finished at all for that matter! (Imagine you wrote piece of code, posted it up for review, and waited up to a month without receiving any feedback!) It even feels like these tasks were merely made up just to keep me entertained!

- Most engineering practices (which I cannot get into details without talking about the internal infrastructures, but think about automated-builds, version-control and other related areas) are poor, which really puzzled me because they had very smart people responsible for that.

If you do not have any tasks for interns, please do not give us the offers in the first place. Making up some boring tasks to keep us occupied is really really "unethical"

a really unpleasant place to work

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time

Pros

bright people, good benefits and perks, free lunches, games, fairly relaxed atmosphere

Cons

terrible middle and upper management - elitist, rule by fear
    poor communication
    blame is the name of the game
    unprofessional HR - nothing is confidential
    morale is very low and declining still
    favouritism is obvious and shameless
    too much middle management
    the reality of TripAdvisor as described in the interview process is not what you get once you're in
    If you are an engineer at TripAdvisor you're gold, if not, be prepared to update your resume/CV soon
    Quickly becoming a corporate culture with all the negative implications that implies

Less arrogance is needed, stop rewarding or ignoring bad behaviour. Take time to understand who is in your management team and ask if they are really adding any value - or actually doing anything at all, for that matter. Speed Wins is not a healthy motto for ALL departments. People are leaving in droves for a reason - perhaps you should look into why?

Fast paced, self-driven, flexible and fun

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time (more than an year)

Pros

flexible work schedule, interesting and broad engineering work will keep you interested for a long time. all sorts of perks and free snacks. people are nice and laid back (at least the people I have seen and worked with).

Cons

Moves really fast, considerable amount of pressure(good or bad). It is in Newton and the new building will be even further away from the city.

Sometimes the upper management is a little bit aggressive, they should know difference between the people who try their best to meet their expectations and the people who are pretending.

Fantastic company to work for!

Current Employee - SeatGuru Content Intern in Newton, MA
    Current Employee - SeatGuru Content Intern in Newton, MA

I have been working at TripAdvisor as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

I had a fantastic experience at TripAdvisor this summer! Awesome people, great, positive energy and supportive atmosphere. So many great perks and benefits to working for this awesome company.

Cons

None! I really enjoyed coming to work every day and working on cool projects with cool people. Extremely grateful for the opportunity to work at TA!

Good advancement opportunities for those willing to work hard

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time (more than an year)

Pros

TripAdvisor is growing aggressively and this means there are plenty of promotion and advancement opportunities for people who have ability and are willing to work for it. I've worked at places where there are at least three qualified people jockeying for each opportunity to advance - TripAdvisor is NOT one of them. As of 2013 TripAdvisor is an excellent place for those who want to break through from senior to principal engineer or into management.

Overall the level of bureaucracy in engineering is still low and it's possible to get things done without waiting a long time for management to make opaque decisions behind closed doors.

Cons

The location in Newton is not convenient unless you happen to already live in one of the western suburbs.

TripAdvisor does not do a lot of fundamental R&D on new technologies. Look elsewhere if that is a priority for you.

Fun place to work

Current Employee - Online Marketing in Newton, MA
    Current Employee - Online Marketing in Newton, MA

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Laid back atmosphere with a somewhat start-up feel.

Cons

Location in Newton makes commute a bit annoying if you want to live in the city

Great company with great people!

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Collaborative, team oriented environment
    Fantastic work-life balance
    Time off - 3 wks vacation, Summer Fridays, 10 holidays, 10 sick days
    Bright, passionate, fun, enthusiastic co-workers
    Career development
    Competitive salaries
    Great benefit package
    Flexible work schedule
    Fast paced, ever changing environment. Always working on something new.

Cons

Even though I love the fast paced environment, if an employee is not careful it can burn them out. They need to make sure they take full advantage of the time off given.

Keep up the good work. I only see TripAdvisor rising to new heights in the coming years if they continue on the same path they are now.