TripAdvisor Reviews

Reset

Great Product but Turnover is a major problem

Former Employee - Human Resources Mgt in Newton, MA
    Former Employee - Human Resources Mgt in Newton, MA

I worked at TripAdvisor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Free lunches, free food and drinks almost all the time. Young, fast moving culture and a great office space, moving to an even bigger office in the future. Great product, trusted source of travel reviews, company is making money.

Cons

Turnover! It seems like most of the groups are being impacted by turnover, a lot of employees have left the company for greener pastures, the performance rating process and raise %'s being very low for a company that is very profitable, seems to be the common thread. The HR team is non-existent, adds no value to the employees or senior management, and has had more turnover than any other group at Trip, even the most senior leader of HR left along with the leader of compensation. Not sure Senior Mgt knows how bad the turnover problem actually is.

Advice to Management

Hire a consulting firm to determine the sources for all the turnover, outsource HR until a new team can be built from the ground up. Figure out the retention issue.

Ruthless Corporate America

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer

I worked at TripAdvisor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Compensation is good and the stock is on a tear. Good place to work if money is the motivation.

Cons

Work is not really interesting. You will work on a lot of one week tweak projects. Competitive culture. But also a culture of fear codified by a speed wins mantra. Management is cold and ruthless. Classic corporate America. The company will do well because of its ruthless attitude.

Advice to Management

Couple of token social projects will not really hide the kind of company you really are.

Mar 24, 2014 – Dir of HR

Thanks for your feedback and we're sorry that your time at TripAdvisor wasn't what you hoped it would be. We've noted your feedback on our projects and culture. Whether small or big, we believe that ... More

Innovative and fun environment!

Former Employee - Brand Marketing in Newton, MA
    Former Employee - Brand Marketing in Newton, MA

I worked at TripAdvisor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Innovative, social, foster teamwork. If you ask, you will receive...maybe not immediately but in time.

Cons

Like I said, it takes time for ideas/projects to get approval. Little support from management so it can be difficult.

Advice to Management

Create more opportunities to move up within the company, or even to explore other departments.

5. Good atmosphere, smart people

Current Employee - Analyst in Newton, MA
    Current Employee - Analyst in Newton, MA

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- My team, and the people who manage my team, are really driven and focused. This makes work very interesting. We are encouraged to bring crazy ideas to the table and are given the go-ahead to work on these ideas. - Work culture: Free lunches, team bonding events, casual, free beer, your co-workers can be your friends - Data driven - Engineers and non-engineers are given equal prominence (at least on my team)

Cons

- Your managers greatly influence your experience at TripAdvisor. I am really lucky to have good managers but a lot of my other co-workers aren't - Salary: Could be better :)

Super corporate atmosphere run at the top by power hungry close minded individuals

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Newton, MA
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Newton, MA

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

the common people at the company

Cons

upper management is pretty awful and only getting worse since they have globalized

Advice to Management

encourage ideas and remember what got you there

Mar 19, 2014 – Dir of HR

Thank you for your feedback--we're sorry that your experience at TripAdvisor isn't currently what you want it to be. Your feedback is very useful as we continue to focus on growing our culture and ... More

7. High growth company

Current Employee - Director in Newton, MA
    Current Employee - Director in Newton, MA

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Great benefits -Solid work/life balance -Good salary/bonus/stock -Free lunch and other perks

Cons

-Sometimes stressful (during deadlines, etc) -Headquarters technology isn't great for communicating with colleagues in other offices

Advice to Management

Continue to listen to employee feedback---in all locations. Communicate how the company scales its values and processes with global growth--and really apply it to how we work in the day to day and the culture overall (in all offices). But overall, great co with a strong future.

Quickly evolving company

Current Employee - Marketing Specialist in Newton, MA
    Current Employee - Marketing Specialist in Newton, MA

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of smart people and perks

Cons

Salaries for non-engineers are no longer competitive

not good enough

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newton, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newton, MA

I worked at TripAdvisor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

it provides convenience for employees because it offers lunch 3 days a week. And other company wide benefits are good.

Cons

the team started to get messy since a management restructure last July. A guy came in and became VP of this global team. He's quite biased and unprofessional. He brought a group of his people to combine to this global team. and he only valued those who he worked with for a long time. He didn't and never respected others' ideas and efforts and hard work. I am so so glad that I made the decision to leave there because I felt that I wouldn't have any career advancement if I stayed for 1 more day/month/year. Besides, people on this team kept leaving, mostly in newton location. people on London and Singapore side both complain communication issues a lot.

Advice to Management

go to some online/ffline management classes to learn to be more professional.

Jan 23, 2014 – Global Manager, Talent Acquisition

Thanks for your feedback. As we continue to grow, we know that sometimes transitions like this can be challenging for existing team members. And, we welcome feedback to help us better manage similar ... More

if you work in a team with good managers then it's great company; if not...

I worked at TripAdvisor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

good benefits, provided lunches, sponsored great parties, lots of employee support.

Cons

it's absolutely true that who manage your team 99% decides your life at this company. If you are lucky to be in a team with good, experienced managers who know how to reward and respect employees' work, then you are happy; If you are unfortunately fall in a team that the managers are unprofessional, then you are miserable. It was so funny that my team went through a series of org change and the managers are new to the team. Since they took over, people kept leaving. What they did accordingly was to hide as much as possible the news of people leaving, instead of clearly and openly talking to current employees. And once i told that i wanted to quit, the vice president of the team stopped talking to me, pretending that i was not in existence any more. This is not mature and unprofessional and selfish and silly.

Dec 5, 2013 – Global Manager, Talent Acquisition

Thanks for your review. We agree that your manager hugely impacts how you feel about your job and the company overall. Given this, as we noted in an earlier response, we've worked on improving our ... More

11. Busy

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time

Pros

Benefits, compensation, oh and the company is a rocket ship.

Cons

The company grew faster than its infrastructure so all its supporting systems are unable to scale for the growth it has had/is planning. Management needs to recognize that speed wins can only get you so far and you need to fix the foundation.

Advice to Management

Bring in more people from the outside that have done this in bigger companies.

RSS Feed </> Embed