Triple Point Technology

Updated Apr 15, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Andrea Pignataro

Pros:
  • "Fast paced, always something new to learn, great benefits and pay, new challenges to overcome"
    in 4 reviews
  • "Good environment and lots of opportunities to grow and travel internationally"
    in 3 reviews
Cons:
  • "Every few year company gets sold, only senior management benefits at the cost of employees"
    in 3 reviews
  • "ION trading has acquired tpt so its own reviews are very enlightening"
    in 4 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

An Average company.

I have been working at Triple Point Technology full-time for more than 3 years

ProsTypical of small shop one may have to wear many hats which in my opinion enhances the learning and
gives good depth to ones knowledge. Good place for those who want to learn how commodities are managed through a software product. Reasonable compensation if one joins at good rate.

ConsNot many processes, every task can be priority 1. not much HR, Although company has been sold many times but only top management has benefited. ION trading has acquired tpt so its own reviews are very enlightening.

Advice to Senior ManagementIn a product company employees are greatest assets.

Going South

Senior Software Developer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Triple Point Technology full-time for more than 3 years

ProsWork_Life Balance, compensation are all pros in some departments.

ConsTraining , Management etc. There is no good policy nor management wants to invest in its employees

TPT once was a great company

Senior Project Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Triple Point Technology full-time for more than 5 years

ProsTalented and smart co-workers that are eager to help and have a sense of mission.
Very diversified group spanning many vertical industries from agriculture to energy.
Technology oriented company that is determined to provide effective solutions.
A global organization that offers many opportunities for relocation.

ConsSince ION acquisition company has had a problem retaining people.
New owners very secretive and not big on keeping staff informed.
Marketing and sales organization have been effectively dismantled.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide a roadmap of the company's vision to the employees.

A decent place to work

Senior Project Manager (Current Employee)
Houston, TX

I have been working at Triple Point Technology full-time for more than 3 years

ProsReally great people and a lot of autonomy

ConsReally stupid people in key roles and growing issues after the recent buyout.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe open as to what will change and if someone is going to be displaced, help them in advance of the notice.

Historically, a great place to work

Sales (Current Employee)

I have been working at Triple Point Technology full-time

ProsVery smart people and great company culture. There has always been ample room for growth and hard work was recognized and rewarded accordingly.

ConsRecent acquisition has caused a lot of change and we're already seeing layoffs in addition to departures. The overall mentality now is 'wait and see' because more changes are on the way at the end of the year.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement needs to keep employees better informed about changes. There is a significant lack of information which is causing nervousness.

Fantasitc opportunities in a growing market.

Professional Services Consultant (Current Employee)
Houston, TX

I have been working at Triple Point Technology full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat group of people and friendly team-based atmosphere. Opportunity to work wtih people from many different offices around the globe.

ConsConsulting work requires frequent travel to customer sites, which can get old.

Completely average

Technical Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Triple Point Technology full-time

Pros- competitive salary
- good benefits
- open ability to move within the organization
- does a good job fostering idea generation and collaborative design

Cons- business decisions are often far more reactive than proactive
- will do anything to land a sale, then leave mess for everyone else to clean up
- has bought multiple software products over recent years, but if not part of main product line, then you are a second class citizen

Advice to Senior ManagementWhile it is understandable that not all products come with same license fees, treat members of different product lines as equals. And just because processes have been in place for years, doesn't mean the practices of newly acquired companies are bad.

Excellent

I have been working at Triple Point Technology full-time for more than 10 years

ProsEntrepreneurial, fast growing company in exciting space

ConsInfrastructure has not kept up with growth

Advice to Senior ManagementInstitute more formal processes and build out infrastructure.

Many truly great people, but almost no managerial competence beyond making sales

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Triple Point Technology

ProsI have experience at some very well run companies. This is not one of them. There are many people at TPT who are as good as any you will find in the professional world: smart, hard working, professional, and generally fantastic people to work with. And, some of TPT's clients are leading organizations, and if you spend time with those clients then your time will be well spent.

ConsHowever, facing off internally hurts due to a lack of management expertise at the middle and senior levels. The company knows sales - and has gained enough new customers to out pace the drop off from those clients who bought the rampant overpromising of sales process and then realized their mistake (as in: promised features and timelines for customizations based only on what sales thinks the most senior client approver will believe, because sales knows once he or she signs the deal, they will be unable to back away. That's pretty much how industrial level software is sold, not just TPT).

There has been no focus on developing management, who have little experience in well run companies. The management is great at mustering resources around a sales call but lousy at actually managing: creating a culture of cooperation and success, enforcing accountability and transparency in decision making, identifying and resolving communication and territorial conflicts, identifying and growing talent. Only recently have more experienced managers started to appear, but that’s only as window-dressing for the sale of TPT to Ion Trading (July 2013).

Being a company still largely run by early joiners - who lack the managerial expertise required to run an established organization - this can be a very painful place to work.

The HR department: staffed and run by unqualified individuals who do not seem to know much about HR - they apparently have connections to the founder. This area is disliked by most people in the company because of HR's attitude: the employees are sources of complaints and problems, rather than being clients. The HR folks do the minimum because they literally don't know any better. Consider the company-wide performance review system: there is none. Consider benefits: changed health care providers every year. Consider raising a problem with them: you will be made to feel like you are the cause of the problem. Consider the exit interview: not a single question about "what can we do better as a company" - just a COBRA letter handed over the desk. And the HR people themselves have only the highest view of their own capabilities.

The client facing services organization: stocked with wonderful, hard working people, but managed by people with little ability to assess skills and performance and no ability to place people in appropriate roles. We all witnessed a parade of inept program managers who were brought into face off with key clients - an ongoing problem. No manager paid for the mistakes, which of course were repeated.

The development department: until recently run by an early joiner whose short term decision making created an organization focused only on the loudest-yelling client, with no support for technical innovation or creating cooperative internal working relationships. The company purchasing TPT considers all of TPT's software to be out of date from a technological perspective. This is not to blame the many excellent, hard working and intelligent engineers who work tirelessly and are the backbone of the company - again, an area that is stocked with talent, but formerly run by a poor manager.

The functional analysis group: stocked with talent, but run by an early joiner who's only management skill is organizing a sales demo. He does not understand how to foster an environment of success, recognize and grow talent, or fight for his team in conflicts with other areas of the organization. He is rarely physically present - he lives 1,000 miles from staff, and only interacts with the same three or four individuals he's always known. He leans on people who know the TPT applications inside and out and not necessarily people who know the business or know what's best for clients or know the best way to mature the product or his organization, because knowing the (insanely arcane feature set of) the application is the one skill he values above all else. This is understandable - given the company's focus on sales. But it is not what is needed.

The successes you do see are down to the many pockets of excellence below the senior management level but they are unfortunately the exception.

So, the bottom line: do I approve of the CEO? If my goal is to take a 10 person software company and grow it into an 800 person sales machine, then yes. But do I want to work for him or recommend his company to my friend? No.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet some.

Smart company run by smart people

Senior Sales Consultant (Current Employee)

I have been working at Triple Point Technology full-time for more than 3 years

ProsA fun, fast-paced environment where people with winning attitudes tend to do well. The company is the leader in the commodity management market because the management team supports innovation, gives staff a wide berth to do what is right for the customers and the product, and creates a environment where success is recognized, nurtured, and rewarded. A really nice place to call home.

ConsLack of training, tight time schedules, and a focus on bottom line profitability make for a place where mediocre producers have a tough time.

Advice to Senior ManagementSlow down a bit, but mostly keep on doing what you're doing. Love the CEO and CFO, they drive the company to win.

Worked for Triple Point Technology? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Triple Point Technology reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Triple Point Technology CEO Andrea Pignataro. All 51 reviews posted anonymously by Triple Point Technology employees.