Tripp Lite

Tripp Lite Reviews

Updated August 21, 2014
Updated August 21, 2014

Glen Haeflinger

Sees Potential in it's People and Values Employees!

I have been working at Tripp Lite full-time

Pros

Tripp Lite has been the best career move I've ever made. Tripp Lite sees it's employees as people, not just as cogs in the machine. I have never felt more valued in the work place. Office culture is laid back, but the people are sharp and professional. The company is stable and growing.

Cons

Tripp Lite may be lack luster, in appearance, but they put emphasis where it counts- not in aesthetics.

More flexibility with vacation/personal time is my only suggestion!

Stable Company With a Lot of Nonsense and Nepotism

I have been working at Tripp Lite full-time

Pros

Reasonable pay and reasonable hours.

Cons

No opportunity for advancement. There is widespread nepotism in leadership positions across multiple positions, crippling areas like marketing, human resources, and production. I can understand hiring relatives from time to time, but it is widespread at Tripp Lite.

While pay is good, benefits are poor. There is no 401K match and the time off policy is poor with sick days being left to the discretion of your manager. I say that again.... Whether or not a sick day is granted is left up to your manager... Seriously?

While the hours you are required to work is reasonable (in fact, you won't even have to work 40 hours per week as an exempt employee in certain departments), there is a general lack of trust and respect for your time. You are required to have your butt in your seat and there will be no option to work from home even for jobs that would be well suited.

Senior management is hit or miss. The president is a smart leader, but he is hamstrung by a team full nepotism and long-timers that may not be fit for their role.

The company has no stated mission, and the company is super secretive about all aspects of the business. There is also a culture of fiefdoms and silos and a general sense of ill will between departments often times made worse by a lack of overarching vision. Unprofessional behavior, inappropriate relationships, and general nonsense are all tolerated.

Aug 13, 2014EVP

In reading your review I find it hard to believe we work for the same company as your observations differ from mine substantially. I'm particularly disappointed in your perception of our policy on ... More

Good to their Employees

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Tripp Lite full-time (less than an year)

Pros

They really care about their employees and often sponsor events. The people are fun and laid back. Christmas Party and Summer picnic.

Cons

There is lack of organization and communication across departments. It can take a VERY long time to get help from anyone not in your bay. Also, it's a complete cubicle farm--only half cubicles, and there are no windows except by the front desk and kitchen. All of the walls are white with florescent lighting--it feels very commercial and uninviting.

Stop micromanaging. Allow us to communicate with other departments to get things done faster.

Manager

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Tripp Lite full-time

Pros

Small company atmosphere (going away), relaxed environment.

Cons

Cliquish, strong nepotism, have to fight for ever commission $ if they'll pay it, 401K with no match an animosity among the upper management that divides the company

Hold a management meeting monthly so all department are on the same page and make sales #'s more readily available to managers to evaluate their growth and staff's performance. Open up the check book to pay commission so sales people are motivated not demoralized and feel they've been cheated.

Jul 2, 2014EVP

I too regret that as we grow our small company atmosphere becomes more and more difficult to maintain. Cliques are difficult to manage out of existence, but we try. As one of the few companies to ... More

Here today, here tomorrow

I have been working at Tripp Lite full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

This is a financially stable company. They make big decisions carefully and get them right. No layoffs in my time here. The casual atmosphere can obscure the high energy work ethic I see around me. They give ALL employees serious cash bonuses for milestone sales achievements like biggest month, biggest quarter, biggest year. Most quality employees who come here stay along time.

Cons

With stability can come staleness or lack of innovation, but they have enough good young heads in key positions to keep things moving forward. Career paths could be better defined.

Initiate more job trainings and formal career advancement programs and having done so educate the employees on their best path to advancement. Think long term.

A company that takes care of its employees!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Tripp Lite full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Competitive salary, outstanding benefits, periodic bonuses, casual but professional work environment, openness to flexible schedules

Cons

Not many. Workstations can be a bit cramped, but that can be said of any work environment. The office is not super close to a train station, but a bus does stop right in front of it.

Would be nice to expand the offices and workstations onto a second floor to allow employees to have more space.

Great people to work for and with.

I have been working at Tripp Lite full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Old school, strong work ethic corporate wide with very smart and creative employees. Flexible and accommodating to employee's family needs. Good salaries and benefits. Lots of room to learn and grow. Strong revenue growth. Lot's of tenured people who seem to find a good home/work value.

Cons

Don't be shy, management will listen if you are professional and vocal.

Continue to invest in your employees. Add more feedback tools for all employees to continue to build a great environment.

One of the worst companies to work for.

Former Employee - Sales
    Former Employee - Sales

I worked at Tripp Lite full-time

Pros

The Base Salary at Tripp Lite was great, they give an annual cash bonus which is nice. Engineering team/Presales engineers are great.

Cons

The commission structure is a joke, I would hit well over 100% of my goal and only receive 20% of the payout. They have unrealistic expectations on growth goals. Benefits are horrible, 401k Match is terrible. Management is out of the loop and are unqualified to do their jobs. All management is very unprofessional and constantly makes inappropriate comments. HR doesnt do anything about management which gives you a great idea of how it is to work for Tripp Lite is.

Create Realistic commission goals. VP of the company and CEO need to evaluate the leadership at Tripp Lite.

Jul 2, 2014EVP

I don't want to dismiss your claims as you clearly feel very strongly about them. That said, this is a bit of a rant, no? Management at Tripp Lite (and every company) is not an entity. Rather, it's ... More

The company treated me well for the most part during my tenor there.

I have been working at Tripp Lite full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Small company feel with plenty of employee activities.
    Decent base pay structure.
    Good medical benefits, flexible work hours & personal time.

Cons

Company lacked a good management structure & professionalism.
    Very conservative in paying commission and there's no match on 401K.
    Company has a feel of having a High School "in crowd" at the upper management level.

Company has grown in size to the point of adding professional outside upper management vs. the home grown staff now in place to reach the next level of expansion.

Great, laid-back company to work for

Former Employee - Marketing Coordinator in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Marketing Coordinator in Chicago, IL

I worked at Tripp Lite full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Nice work environment, co-workers are very friendly and helpful, growth and other job opportunities are not abundant but available. They also give quarterly bonuses (depending on the job) and they give monthly bonuses if sales goals are met. Overall, nice place to work.

Cons

There aren't many bad things I can think of. Sometimes upper management delays things like bonuses and employee reviews, but just stay on top of it and it will get done.