Tripwire

Updated September 26, 2014
3.2

Jim B. Johnson

Great company

I have been working at Tripwire full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Business casual, nice office, motivated co-workers, and company treats it's employees very well. Benefits are fantastic. Pay is slightly above market. Overall great company to work for.

Cons

It's a young company, so it's still finding its way. Preference is often given to more senior employees as opposed to performance-based promotions.

Invest in younger, up-and-coming employees because they will be your bread and butter in the long term.

Tripwire is slowly sinking, so management thinks we need to row faster.

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Tripwire full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

This part gets smaller all the time. Some areas of great people and real talent. One of the products is the best in the market. Decent benefits. Security space is exciting.

Cons

The other reviews here about the company lacking focus and other comments are largely true. We have a real lack of leadership. Tripwire once was like a family, all heading in the same direction towards a common goal. The acquisition by a private equity company changed Tripwire.

Morale sinks further and turnover is high. There really doesn't seem to be much interest by the company in employee retention or development. They seem ignorant to the low morale. I've seen at least one entire department have 100% turnover.

The acquisition in 2013 has not gone well. Most of the people who came from nCircle have quit. The management we acquired changed the team for the worse. Tripwire once had leadership that led, that cared about the team and they valued the front line people. That is mostly gone. There is no rally. No one driving. The management attitude from the top is binary, you're either good or not good. Above or below. Nothing else you do or contribute matters. Separation between senior management and the front line is very apparent. Morale on the team is low.

Product management is bleeding great talent. Like was mentioned in another review, there are pools of great talent, but the constantly changing focus is making it impossible. Some other departments like HR and finance are a revolving door with new faces all the time. Our SEs are the best in the industry and seem to be the one team that is better off this year than last year. Support is solid, as is R & D and Marketing. Sales has it good and bad areas. It went through a major reorg this year that has had mixed results. Again, lack of leadership.

Company executive management is mixed. Some are good. Our CTO is amazing, but some are not good. Our CEO seemed great at one time but now he seems somewhat disconnected like the rest of management. He works in the Portland office but doesn't really talk to anyone. This is par for the course in our management now. There is a big disconnect between senior management and everyone else. And the company meeting "ra ra" is forced and awkward.

Sometimes we're asked to fill out surveys for employee feedback with big promises of transparency and yet we never ever hear any of the results or actions to be taken. We all know there's a lot to be fixed but no one wants to talk about it. Many people I know are considering other options.

It's really sad because Tripwire could be great, but it's unlikely to move from its present course because it would require changes at the top levels. This company used to have a lot of long time employees, but now a long time employee is about 3 years. This is not really a career company anymore. It's set up to maximize profits and growth. Employees are cogs in a wheel now, easily replaced by another warm body. The amazing thing is that the executive management seems to be fine with this because I've never heard anything to the contrary. Many of us don't bother to remember who does what at the company because it will change again or they will leave anyway.

We like to talk about how we have great quarters and then we turn around and cut more. Leaner and leaner. All about EBITDA. This company is a decent stepping stone but don't plan to stay long. We'll probably get acquired soon.

Changes of key senior management has to happen for change to occur. You have to decide if my comments above are they way you want it or not, and then act. E staff needs to get a better pulse on the company.

Potential for great innovative velocity mitigated by unclear direction, poor executive alignment

Current Employee - Management (R&D) in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Management (R&D) in Portland, OR

I have been working at Tripwire full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Poor leadership creates great pools of opportunity for self-starters who enjoy taking command. The culture is one part "beg for forgiveness" and one part "great individual empowerment," complicated by the fact this is the result of a senior management approach one night characterize as benign neglect, complicated further by poor alignment at senior level. But product is great, and these balkanized "pools of opportunity" are frequently capable of expressing brilliance.

Cons

I have a son with inattentive ADD; he's not hyperactive. He's wicked creative, but lacks the ability to follow through. An individual coping mechanism on his part is to lather upon us with great passion and charisma his Newest Idea, the intention being to enlist us to help him get the idea completed. He secretly knows that if he doesn't infect someone else within a few days in the Newest Idea, he'll lose interest, and will move on. But he can SEE it, and wants it badly. This is his strength. His weakness is that he doesn't know how to get it done.

Perversely, my wife and I have learned through bitter experience to actually slow him down. He will come to us with a lot of passion and energy, and we are inclined to erect roadblocks, because we're still left trying to clean up what he's left behind. He is disinterested in the byproduct of prior ideas, and doesn't seem to understand there's an aggregate cost associated with unfinished tasks, many of which literally cost us.

Our job as parents is to guide him through the adoption of behavioral therapies designed to help him still capture these brilliant insights, but codify them into actionable components. A central tenet of this "behavioral" therapy is to get him to focus on doing three to five things extremely well, which means he will explicitly not do the other things. Indeed, he is often precluded logistically from starting a new project because resources are still allocated to the last unfinished idea, for example: the five lawn mower engines currently dominating my garage's workbench.

This is an apt metaphor for both what's right and what's wrong about Tripwire, as well as what I'd recommend, top-down, for unlocking their velocity and execution problem.

Seek behavioral therapies as defined above, and execute with extreme prejudice, because you are overlooking a portfolio of brilliant intellectual capital codified both in tangible expressions of IP and inside the minds of your resources, and in current form you bleed this resource pool.

Once a great company, now just a cash cow for renewals

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I worked at Tripwire full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Still a few rising stars left. Nice office space in downtown Portland. CEO, CTO are nice guys and the sales/SE team are strong.

Cons

Senior management are highly political and simply don't get things done.
    Low level of innovation since being bought by private equity firm.
    nCircle acquisition was a disaster, bought onboard some terrible sales management and out of date technology.
    Release momentum is non-existent.
    Senior management block ideas from lower levels.

Fire nCircle management. Reinvest in product development.

Great place to work!

Current Employee - R&D Senior Software Engineer in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - R&D Senior Software Engineer in Portland, OR

I have been working at Tripwire full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent company, good tech and products. Focused on the customer. People work hard but we don't do death marches. Well functioning agile organization. Financially solid. Positioned very well for growith in the Security maketplace. Lot of upside.

Cons

Sometimes we spend too much time reaching consensus.

We can move faster.

Great Company

Former Employee - Developer in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Developer in Portland, OR

I worked at Tripwire part-time (less than an year)

Pros

great people and free soda

Cons

it is headquartered in Portland

keep up the good work

Lacking Clear Vision & Direction

I worked at Tripwire full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Smart R&D and SE group are one of the company's key assets.

Cons

Over the past year with their recent acquisition some bad decisions have been made with regards to leadership. There lacks a single unified vision and focus and there is no long term strategy. Company struggles with ADHD, constantly revising plans but failing to execute due to continuous shifting of management priorities. Tripwire still doesn't know what it wants to be when it grows up and some of the new management in place has exacerbated this fact, paired with a group of old timers who lack new skills and ideas makes growth difficult. The expectations to go "big and bold" while overloading staff with frivolous tasks that distract them from what they should be focusing on makes it difficult for the company to grow. Morale in the company is at an all time low, with little faith in the leadership who are more focused on internal politics and short term gains than they are with growing the company.

The company needs to bring in seasoned management from the outside, the lack of focus in the company is having an impact on the bottom line. The company needs to be acquired by a bigger company or you need to establish clear strategy moving forward. You need to bring in management who knows what they are doing and have experience in the enterprise security space.

Senior Software Engineer in Test

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Portland, OR

I worked at Tripwire full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Pure scrum process with daily stand up, daily burn down charts, sprint reviews, planning, and retrospectives

Cons

Weak QA contribution in the scrum process

allow QA to contribute more

Brilliant, motivated team working hard to find a growth market for their exceptional products

I worked at Tripwire

Pros

Brilliant people & highly functional product

Cons

Niche market and struggle for relevance

Tripwire is reuiend by old timers failures

Former Employee - R&D Senior Software Engineer in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - R&D Senior Software Engineer in Portland, OR

I worked at Tripwire full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Maybe nice office space. Nice meeting rooms with beautiful view?

Cons

The core problem is that you have old timers who failed to accomplish common tasks that most mature organizations achieve; and those old timers gets in the way of new comers who are trying to accomplish common tasks

Avoid this place at all cost

Encourage positive change in the organization brought by new comers. Get rid of those who failed