Tripwire Reviews

Updated March 18, 2015
34 reviews filtered by
3.5
Jim B. Johnson

1. Good culture and growing with no negative fall-out from the recent acquisition

Current Employee - R&D in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - R&D in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Tripwire full-time (more than a year)

Pros

A lot of really passionate people at the company and people really love to work here. Really relaxed policies in our office - people work from home when they want and pretty much everyone in R&D on Fridays, flexible on when people work as long as they get stuff done, free lunches, free drinks, about everything you'd expect from a high-tech company that 'gets it' about treating their engineers right. People work hard but there is a good work/life balance here. The company grew a lot in the last year, but its so focused on being profitable it doesn't always feel like we are investing as much as we could for the future.

Cons

Since the company is based in Portland, you miss a lot of what is going on being in a remote office and don't interact with a lot of people or ever see a lot of the management outside of our division unless you go to Portland.

Try to be more inclusive of the other offices in everything you do, and bring executives out to the bigger remote offices more frequently so everyone has a chance to interact with them.

2. I enjoyed working at Tripwire (nCircle) since 2011. Great people with great talent

I have been working at Tripwire full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Hot market with opportunity to learn from very intelligent people. Casual atmosphere, remote work options and free lunches on Thursdays

Cons

Focus and direction change frequently.

Stay focused on projects, hire the best, and remember without the little people management and the company would not exist.

3. Great company!

Current Employee - Intern - Hourly in Alpharetta, GA
    Current Employee - Intern - Hourly in Alpharetta, GA

I have been working at Tripwire

Pros

They care about their employees.

Cons

Everyone is very busy (which isn't really a bad thing)

None.

doing great despite mediocre management

Current Employee - R&D in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - R&D in Portland, OR

I have been working at Tripwire full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

We are in a great market and were able to transition into it pretty well. Vacation benefits are excellent, and make it hard for other companies to match up.

Cons

We don't seem to be able to get out of the way of our outdated behemoth of a product and create new products and significant feature improvements. It's good while it lasts, but I don't think the market will be satisfied with it indefinitely. A lot of separation between R&D and rest of company, literally and figuratively. CEO is solid, seems very focused on the sales team and not a lot else. I don't feel a strong culture or leadership.

Strengthen culture. Improve communication between groups.

6. Great place to work

Current Employee - Senior Sales in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Senior Sales in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Tripwire full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Best in market products, great peer support, great management support.

Cons

High growth industry - lots of work to be done

Absolutely the worse experience ever! Run do not walk away now...

Former Employee - Senior Software Test Engineer in Alpharetta, GA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Test Engineer in Alpharetta, GA

I worked at Tripwire

Pros

The compensation might be considered decent by some. But no amount is worth the foul treatment by mid level management.

Cons

Racist management, As long as you are the 'proper' skin color and part of the 'in' crowd you might be OK.

Diversity training for mid level management is desperately needed. If they haven't already been the subject of a lawsuit they will be very soon.

8. Great Company - Great Team

I have been working at Tripwire full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Very focused on solving customer problems. Experienced management team. They invest heavily into the success of the salesforce. Great reputation.

Cons

Channel program needs work. Needs better marketing that drives leads.

Focus on long term solutions rather than short term gains.

9. Good, fun company to work for.

Current Employee - Information Systems in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Information Systems in Portland, OR

I have been working at Tripwire

Pros

Great people, smart people and fun people. Management seems to care about their employees. They invest in professional development. Fantastic benefits. Good work/life balance.

Cons

R&D seems to run the company and always get preferential treatment. Executives don't seem to notice when one manager has complete turnover under them. Manager is rarely looked at as the problem.

Keep investing in your employees and recognize them.

Great company

I have been working at Tripwire full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Business casual, nice office, motivated co-workers, and company treats it's employees very well. Benefits are fantastic. Pay is slightly above market. Overall great company to work for.

Cons

It's a young company, so it's still finding its way. Preference is often given to more senior employees as opposed to performance-based promotions.

Invest in younger, up-and-coming employees because they will be your bread and butter in the long term.

Tripwire is slowly sinking, so management thinks we need to row faster.

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Tripwire full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

This part gets smaller all the time. Some areas of great people and real talent. One of the products is the best in the market. Decent benefits. Security space is exciting.

Cons

The other reviews here about the company lacking focus and other comments are largely true. We have a real lack of leadership. Tripwire once was like a family, all heading in the same direction towards a common goal. The acquisition by a private equity company changed Tripwire.

Morale sinks further and turnover is high. There really doesn't seem to be much interest by the company in employee retention or development. They seem ignorant to the low morale. I've seen at least one entire department have 100% turnover.

The acquisition in 2013 has not gone well. Most of the people who came from nCircle have quit. The management we acquired changed the team for the worse. Tripwire once had leadership that led, that cared about the team and they valued the front line people. That is mostly gone. There is no rally. No one driving. The management attitude from the top is binary, you're either good or not good. Above or below. Nothing else you do or contribute matters. Separation between senior management and the front line is very apparent. Morale on the team is low.

Product management is bleeding great talent. Like was mentioned in another review, there are pools of great talent, but the constantly changing focus is making it impossible. Some other departments like HR and finance are a revolving door with new faces all the time. Our SEs are the best in the industry and seem to be the one team that is better off this year than last year. Support is solid, as is R & D and Marketing. Sales has it good and bad areas. It went through a major reorg this year that has had mixed results. Again, lack of leadership.

Company executive management is mixed. Some are good. Our CTO is amazing, but some are not good. Our CEO seemed great at one time but now he seems somewhat disconnected like the rest of management. He works in the Portland office but doesn't really talk to anyone. This is par for the course in our management now. There is a big disconnect between senior management and everyone else. And the company meeting "ra ra" is forced and awkward.

Sometimes we're asked to fill out surveys for employee feedback with big promises of transparency and yet we never ever hear any of the results or actions to be taken. We all know there's a lot to be fixed but no one wants to talk about it. Many people I know are considering other options.

It's really sad because Tripwire could be great, but it's unlikely to move from its present course because it would require changes at the top levels. This company used to have a lot of long time employees, but now a long time employee is about 3 years. This is not really a career company anymore. It's set up to maximize profits and growth. Employees are cogs in a wheel now, easily replaced by another warm body. The amazing thing is that the executive management seems to be fine with this because I've never heard anything to the contrary. Many of us don't bother to remember who does what at the company because it will change again or they will leave anyway.

We like to talk about how we have great quarters and then we turn around and cut more. Leaner and leaner. All about EBITDA. This company is a decent stepping stone but don't plan to stay long. We'll probably get acquired soon.

Changes of key senior management has to happen for change to occur. You have to decide if my comments above are they way you want it or not, and then act. E staff needs to get a better pulse on the company.