Triumph Group

Updated December 15, 2014
2.6

Triumph Group President & CEO Jeffry D. Frisby
Jeffry D. Frisby

Pros
  • These folks will help you and always go the extra distance to get the job done right (in 4 reviews)

• Great people, family oriented, and very easy to get along with co-workers and management (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance can be difficult at some business units if your position objectives are not clear (in 3 reviews)

• Recent management changes have changed the entire outlook on this company (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Not What They Advertise

Former Employee - Program Manager in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Program Manager in Dallas, TX

I worked at Triumph Group full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

They are in a lucrative market where there seems to be many opportunities.

Cons

I was in Program Management in the Vought Aircraft Division for almost 20 years.

The management of this company has driven it from a successful tier 1 integrator to a tier 3 parts maker.

Most of their current customers hate them and their employees are looking for a way out.

They get more more business by buying it and make promises they don't have enough able staff to keep.

Inevitably it has become a sweatshop and a place in which no one can take pride.

Consolidate your business via vertical integration and reduce your dependency on outside suppliers. Rebuild the ability to design, launch, develop and scale to full rate production - that was your discriminator and your strength.

When the product is stable, then off-shore and reduce cost, but always maintain the ability to do it yourself. Control your supply chain - not the other way around.

Terrible

I have been working at Triumph Group full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The pay is good but that's about it. I learned a lot about how to control yourself in chaotic situations. Also learned how a business is not supposed to be ran.

Cons

When hired on initially, it was a great place to work. Now its a joke, Management treats employees like children and they make up their own rules as they go along.

West Hartford facility is terrible.

Current Employee - Office Worker in West Hartford, CT
    Current Employee - Office Worker in West Hartford, CT

I have been working at Triumph Group full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Everyone (other than management) is great to work with. We have/had a lot of very knowledgeable long time employees that care and work extremely hard. These folks will help you and always go the extra distance to get the job done right.

Cons

This facility use to be part of the Goodrich family. Gone are the days where a quality product is produced. Caring about the employee is non-existent. Communication from management is very poor. They wait until after the fact to inform the employees. HR is ALWAYS covering up for poor managers. Middle management is the worst. They continually beat up on the employees due to their lack of knowledge and leadership. They refuse to hire additional help when someone leaves the company, then blames the employees for not keeping up the same quotas. Middle management is insecure and untrained. They continually blame the employees for their poor leadership. Good people are leaving this facility in droves because they're hard work is not appreciated or recognized.

Perform a middle management house cleaning.
    Hire people who know how to lead and promote a good working culture.
    Treat ALL your employees fairly and with respect.

Going , Going , GONE

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Triumph Group

Pros

Opportunities to be multifunctional due to lack of support staff .

Cons

Unpaid Company required overtime each week , horrible work atmosphere , management changes every few months and layoffs are always on your mind .

Remove the good ol boy clubs , they are keeping you from competing with similar aerospace companies . You have lost touch with engineering knowledge and system advancements .

Horrible unethical company, destroyed a great company and killed morale!

Former Employee - Aircraft Assembler & Quality in Grand Prairie, TX
    Former Employee - Aircraft Assembler & Quality in Grand Prairie, TX

I worked at Triumph Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

If you are a job shopper or contractor than you'll enjoy collecting a paycheck

Cons

Anti Union, so much that they bought two aircraft assembly plants I DFW just to close them down. After purchase they immediately began construction on a new building just outside the union laws transfer clause (30 miles I believe) than moved all the work out there. They literally took the jig I worked on, moved it 30 miles away, and told me to apply for the position I e been working the last 6 years! And if we chose not to apply, or didn't get hired by the people we were currently working for, we were layed off! Craaaaazy! To me the Company just seems to be morally corrupt! I really don't understand how what there doing is legal! Oh and another thing, they are out sourcing a majority of the work to china, Korea, and Mexico. So if you are looking to retire from a company, this isn't the place. Oh and to you 40+ year old mechanics...good luck, they find ways to fire older people now so they sure won't hire you!

What makes you rich today, could be the companies demise in 10 years. When the foreign sub contractors decide to stop building for you and build there own aircraft using the free knowledge you've given them, don't be upset. And when a plane (747-8) falls out of the sky due to shady build practices by your foreign counterparts, don't act surprised because you have been warned!

Wouldn't recommend triumph Spokane plant to anyone

Current Employee - Production Mechanic in Spokane, WA
    Current Employee - Production Mechanic in Spokane, WA

I have been working at Triumph Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Almost half of the co-workers are good people, as for the rest: arrogant, selfish, not all there, likes to talk about others in a bad way (especially to managements), throw each other under the bus, with everybody is wrong and I'm always right attitude

Cons

Full of rules, stupid ones too. Management only try to get as much people as they can into trouble, because the more people get in trouble and fired, the better they are as managers apparently. A lot of power trips running around. They don't look at the workers as human. There was one good manager that actually manages his workers and the workers respect him, but he got demoted because he is not a slave driver like the rest of them. Last year our cost of living benefits was $600 per 6 months, this year is $104, it just doesn't make sense that they calculate cost of living for people is lower, while everything else is going up. Christmas dinner 2012 we were told that the company had a record profit, early 2013 our benefits we're cut in half, and the max pay is reduced significantly, 401k matching and pension is gone. To sum it: greedy, unprofessional, amateurs, and just horrible

Fear is not respect. Happy employee is a productive employee. Don't tell the employees that the company hit record profit and cut max pay and the benefits couple months later. Workers are humans, and just because we're not all African, doesn't mean that slavery is okay. Slave drivers lower morale. Cut out mandatory overtime, 2 days off every other weekend is not enough. If need to pump the production, hire more people, instead of forcing people to work instead of having time for their kids on their weekends. Hiring slave drivers doesn't improve morale of the workers, especially when hiring managers without a management degree and hire ex-militaries with poor people skills instead. HR need to stop assuming whoever report someone to them first must be the right party, and stop getting on the get as much people in trouble as you can bandwagon.

I have been working at Triumph Group

Pros

Great people both union and non-union workforce, had a solid business base, creating safe reliable products for the aerospace industry, great leadership through 2005. Since that time a loss of focus and communication from senior management.

Cons

Management changes in 2006 started the downfall, there was no support for the people, everyone became a number and expendable and it showed in their performance in quality and schedule which significantly effected cost. Customer relationships are weaker and no real business prospects to fill the gaping holes that will be left after the 747 and C-17 meet their ultimate fate. Triumph has been successful in dragging Vought down to its tier 2/3 level.

Bring back some the former leadership (CEO prior to 2006)to bring a strategic focus to the business and give it a chance to grow again, rebuild customer relationships and be the great company it once was. Even if just in an advisory capacity. We are desperate for a focused leader with a understanding of the aerostructures business that has a strategic vision of growth.

If you wanted to be reminded that you are inferior, this is the job for you

I worked at Triumph Group full-time

Pros

Worked with very talented production people, benefits were decent. Great customers to work with.

Cons

Upper management treat junior management and subordinates very poorly. Their concern is making themselves look good even if it means lying to their customers to get their business then expecting junior management to jump through hoops to "get it done". The FAA needs to keep a close eye on this group, they have been lying to them as well.

All of you have been told what you need to hear and have only ignored it, it came back to bite you once already. I recommend a full audit from Triumph Group Headquarters, maybe that will solve the problem once and for all.

Horrible

I have been working at Triumph Group full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Has the potential to be as great as the former Vought, and has a great workforce. Good pay and benefits due to being a union shop, but that really has nothing to do with Triumph.

Cons

Management is completely incompetent. From supervision, up to the CEO, they have no idea what they are doing. Everyday, they make decisions that dig our facility a little deeper into the hole that they've created. To top it off, they constantly point the finger at the people on the shop floor for their mistakes.

Stop. Get out of the way, and find someone competent enough to run the show.

Good people, incompetent management

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Park City, UT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Park City, UT

I worked at Triumph Group full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The people try hard to do good work in some areas. Interesting and varied work.

Cons

Managers look at employees as the enemies. Some middle managers are the worst. HR is totally biased and will not take complaints seriously. The attitude is well let us sit down together and talk, rather than look at managers as the problem. Sexual favors for advancement and assistance are overlooked and ignored by management. The company has had several FBI raids but have not learned from them and improved things.

Find some quality management. Employees are not that bad. Actually practice what you preach.