Tropical Smoothie Cafe

www.tropicalsmoothie.com

Tropical Smoothie Cafe Reviews

Updated Jul 17, 2014
Tropical Smoothie Cafe – US – “Fruit Tray”

Eric Jenrich

Pros
  • easy work, managers are understanding, lots of responsibility(in 5 reviews)

• It usually has its fun and easy days(in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Minimum wage for starting out unless shift supervisor(in 11 reviews)

• No room for advancement because no raises if you move up(in 3 reviews)

Pretty good starting job

Team Member/Shift Leader (Former Employee)

ProsEasy, not stressful, fun customers

ConsThe Tropical Smoothie I worked at had pretty bad management, but I am sure others are much better.

A tremendous amount of work and responsibilities w very little respect or support

Manager (Current Employee) Virginia Beach, VA

ProsYou are subjected to survival of the fittest training method here given no support or feedback. On the flip-side you will earn a tremendous amount of self taught experience due to their old fashioned boot-strap drop-kick method of induction. A fantastic building block of knowledge to bring forward on your future endeavors.

ConsNo system for management training allotted by the franchisees. Little offerings of support, feedback, meetings/ discussions, evaluations. All your hard work and improvements go unnoticed and unappreciated.

Advice to Senior ManagementFirst, check out the Franchises business /operations manual as it's a helpful good read when you invest in a business. Next step, take 1 course in restaurant /business management. It would not go to waste. Also, try to show just a little appreciation for people who work extremely long hard overtime (not applicable) hours. They are your key to success and the survival-ship of your business..

Boring

Food and Smothie Maker (Former Employee) Tempe, AZ

ProsFree food, usually. Easy to learn the job. Got out of work at a decent hour.

ConsLow pay for all we did for the owner. Kids pretty much ran the place but not paid good enough for it. So bored when slow.

Advice to Senior ManagementHelp the staff more and don't hide in the office!

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Dancing Banana

Dancing Banana (Former Employee) Saginaw, MI

ProsVery fun and easy work. Just danced in a banana costume.
    Very young, good first job.
    Good tan.

ConsManagement can be hard on the kids. Differs from franchise to franchise.
    Work looks stressful and hard sometimes inside. Banana wasn't.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't get too hard on these high school kids.

OK College Job, Not Good for Anyone Else (Assistant Store Manager)

Assistant Manager (Former Employee) Orlando, FL

Pros50% off everything sold in store, flexible schedule IF you have a nice manager, good training, often a fun environment and I was able to get my friends hired easily

ConsI can only speak for the franchise I specifically worked with- sexist owner, you never got a raise unless you fought for it and then it would only be a tiny amount, no upward movement past store manager, often dealing with young employees who don't care about cleanliness, either not enough hours or swamped because employees often didn't stay long

Advice to Senior ManagementPay more attention to advice from employees, screen your managers better, pay your employees more

Easy, fun, and good tips

Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) Las Vegas, NV

ProsMy store had hourly tips that would be added to your hourly wage, so that was a great and unexpected plus. My hourly wage was 8.25, with a varying hourly tip of around 1.00-1.70 (depending on that week's tips that would then be divided among the total employee hours), so on a good week I would get paid 8.25+1.50= 9.75/hour which was good for the easy job that it is.

A typical day would be working on the smoothie station for the first half of shift and and then the kitchen for the other half, but it can vary depending which station needs more help. In the smoothie station, it's pretty self-explanatory.. the recipes for all smoothies are posted above the fruits for reference, and might seem overwhelming at first but I was able to memorize all smoothies by the end of my 2nd week working there. The kitchen station, it is the same, recipes are posted above the food items.

On down times, we restock the fruit, prep the food to be cooked in the back, wash dishes, clean, etc.

It's pretty easy and such a laidback job for young teens. You work with a lot of young teens as well, so it's hard to get intimidated by your fellow workers.

ConsThe actual job is easy itself, so no complaints here. Pay rate is reasonable, so I cannot negotioate a higher pay because the compensation for the work is actually pretty decent!

One con I could think about, however, is there is little room for advancement. The managers at my store have been there for over 3-4 years and don't seem to want to leave yet, or at least can't for the time being. So you'll probably be stuck working the same position for a while before expecting a promotion, if any.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou guys are too laidback sometimes that your employees tend to take advantage of it. Be more authoritative when needed!

Boring most of the time.

Cashier (Former Employee) Fairfax, VA

ProsFun, tropical atmosphere, kind staff, great boss/owner!

ConsNot much of a crowd/flow of customers and you are on your feet ALL day.

Advice to Senior Managementn/a

Good. Not great.

ProsSome very cool coworkers. Some schedule flexibility.

Consmanagement could be way better.

Advice to Senior Managementplease embrace your values. Treat all your employees well and with more respect.

Too many workers

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood discounts and wonderful workers. The food is great as well. Nice and fresh. The customers aren't bad at all

ConsScheduled by favoritism. If the boss doesn't like you then you are screwed. I only got 4 hours a week and I worked hard. Eventually I got layed off

Advice to Senior ManagementStop hiring people and stick with the ones you got. Nobody can live off a toe hour work shift

Food Service Associate

Food Service Associate (Former Employee) Iowa City, IA

ProsStudent Position on campus. Free smoothies and food.

ConsPoor management at my location. Not enough work space.

Worked for Tropical Smoothie Cafe? Contribute to the Community!