Tropical Smoothie Cafe

Updated December 11, 2014
Updated December 11, 2014
2.9

Eric Jenrich

Pros
  • easy work, managers are understanding, lots of responsibility (in 7 reviews)

• A decent discount on food/smoothies while working (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • A few people worked there for years without any raise from minimum wage (in 15 reviews)

• No room for advancement because no raises if you move up (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Eh.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Tropical Smoothie Cafe part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Tropical Smoothie is a cool place and most of the time you'll find people you connect well with.
    The pay is reasonable
    It's a fun job.

Cons

The job can be stressful when it gets busy.
    The managers sometimes don't have a clue what they're doing.

During training, make sure you actually train. I had a 'trainer' who never taught me the food items so when it came to my test- I failed because I was never taught. But when I would ask, she would say "No, it's okay, I got it." and i would have no choice but to go do something else. She had favorites and would make it known. She only taught those that she 'liked' and those of us that weren't on that list, she didn't care about.

Tropical Smoothie Cafe has a laid back environment and the work is easy.

Former Employee - Cashier/Back-of-house Prep
    Former Employee - Cashier/Back-of-house Prep

I worked at Tropical Smoothie Cafe part-time

Pros

Employees are nice.
    Everyone I worked with all attended the same university, so management tries to build a tight-knit team.
    Work load was light and easy.

Cons

Pay was barely minimum wage.
    Drastic inconsistencies in hours.

Spread hours out more evenly between employees so that no one is burdened with over 40 hours a week but also not inconvenienced with less than 5 hours. This type of drastic inconsistencies in scheduling should be avoided.

great smoothies and food. work environment though...?

Current Employee - Shift Leader At Tropical Smoothie Cafe in Mobile, AL
    Current Employee - Shift Leader At Tropical Smoothie Cafe in Mobile, AL

I have been working at Tropical Smoothie Cafe full-time (more than an year)

Pros

personal growth, i learned better customer service and unparalleled hospitality.

Cons

the working environment starting out was great...then there was a change in management and the care of customers and the franchise overall just went straight downhill and i believe it will continue to go downhill. when we had our old manager, everybody was happy, customers and employees. we never had anybody that didn't want to actually work and do their job. now we have people that don't care about their job and are rude to customers and just stand around and basically do nothing most of the time. i'm already in the process of finding a new job simply because the work environment has gone downhill

actually interview those you hire and get to know them. don't just hire everyone that puts in an application just because we're needy.

Awesome

I have been working at Tropical Smoothie Cafe part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Awesome Manager. Great company. Nice coworkers.

Cons

Slow personal growth. Slow promotion.

�� Not what I expected

Current Employee - Crew Member in Stamford, CT
    Current Employee - Crew Member in Stamford, CT

I have been working at Tropical Smoothie Cafe part-time (less than an year)

Pros

If you work here you get unlimited smoothies while on shift, a 50% discount on food while on shift but 20% on food and drinks when off.

Cons

Minimum wage
    Barely any hours
    Favoritism towards certain people for more hours
    Once worked 4 a week

You should actually be considerate to the workers

Probably the biggest joke I've ever seen.

I have been working at Tropical Smoothie Cafe part-time

Pros

The managers are relaxed, the discounts (on the job and off)

Cons

The managers are so relaxed that nothing gets done, minimum wage

You need to really look into who you let own one of your franchises. These people are self-serving hypocrites.

A great position for a student who needs some extra money.

I worked at Tropical Smoothie Cafe part-time (more than an year)

Pros

It was a fun place to work, I liked being able to interact with customers and my coworkers.

Cons

Not a job you can really advance in, I liked it for my high school days but I wouldn't work there now.

Decent job for a college student who needs extra money.

Former Employee - Cashier in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Cashier in Orlando, FL

I worked at Tropical Smoothie Cafe part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Free smoothies. Easy work. It was an enjoyable place to work if you have funny co workers to work with.

Cons

The lunch rush was always hectic. The kitchen can get very hot. Answering the phone with a huge line of customers inside.

Good first job.

Former Employee - Crew Member in Memphis, TN
    Former Employee - Crew Member in Memphis, TN

I worked at Tropical Smoothie Cafe part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Management knew to be flexible with student schedules because the crew was mostly high school and college kids. We all got along, so it was always fun to go to work.

Cons

Good employees got the most hours, which was great, but nobody ever got any raises. A few people worked there for years without any raise from minimum wage.

Appreciate the good employees or keep having to retrain new ones.

I regret applying for the job at this point

Current Employee - Cashier in Montgomery, AL
    Current Employee - Cashier in Montgomery, AL

I have been working at Tropical Smoothie Cafe part-time (less than an year)

Pros

It's a nice environment when you're friends with your coworkers, and the smoothies are pretty good. You can end up building a good rapport with your regulars.

Cons

The biggest con of the job was that only one person closes the store. For the last two or so hours of the day, the closer is in the store by themselves and it's not uncommon for a dinner rush to come in. As an employee, you obviously cannot turn customers away, so having a line to the door when you're alone is something to expect at least once a week. The store I worked at had only 6 employees because my manager deemed that the perfect number of people for all of the positions: permanent and alternate opener, two people for midshift, and a permanent and alternate closer. Be careful if you do work there. Working midshift or morning shift is fine, but closing and opening are both difficult because you're in the store alone.

My manager frequently calls people in early and tells them not to clock in because they are there to make sure another employee isn't in the store by themselves or just to chat. We've had an employee almost break her finger, and the manager didn't attempt to file an injury report or allow the employee to leave. The only reason she was allowed to leave was because her mother brought her out of the store two hours later and the manager refused a call from both the employee and Primed claiming she was busy even though there were no customers at that time. There are no repercussions for the manager's actions because her mother is the area manager and the owners are close to her family. The entire job is a complete mess.

Also, as a side note. None of my coworkers had received raises after working there a year despite the policy being no more than three months without a raise.

Allow stores to have two people closing or opening each day. It's less stressful and you have less customer complaints. The majority of complaints I dealt with were because i fell behind in making meals for giant rushes that came in while closing.

Tropical Smoothie Cafe Photos