Troutman Sanders Reviews

Stephen E. Lewis

1. Paralegal

Current Employee - Litigation Paralegal in Virginia Beach, VA
    Current Employee - Litigation Paralegal in Virginia Beach, VA

I have been working at Troutman Sanders full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good pay, fair review process, rewarded for hard work, nice bonuses, plenty of PTO upon hire

Cons

There are very few downsides compared to other firms. Just long hours for litigation attorneys and paralegals.

2. Average for a law firm

Former Employee - Associate Attorney in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Associate Attorney in Washington, DC

I worked at Troutman Sanders full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Minimum billable hours requirement is 1800, which is about the lowest I am aware of for a large firm. DC office is in a nice building. Managing partner of DC office is great.

Cons

Just like every other law firm, it is a lot of work. Salaries generally below "market" for large firms, at least in DC area, although the hours requirement is lower also. 'Every man for himself' kind of atmosphere as far as attorneys having each other's back.

Advice to Management

Fixing the culture so that it feels more like your co-workers actually care that you are there would be the most recommended change, although I am not sure exactly how to do that, because if people don't care, they don't care.

3. An ok place to work

I have been working at Troutman Sanders

Pros

Good size and reputable company

Cons

I think the experience as staff employee varies a lot depending on dept and area.

Advice to Management

It appears that hiring and retention of the best staff is not a big priority.

5. Great firm. High staff turnover.

Former Employee - Billing
    Former Employee - Billing

I worked at Troutman Sanders (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great firm with some great managers. Room to grow in various positions.

Cons

A bad manager or lack thereof is detrimental to a department.

Advice to Management

More management training on developing employees and communication.

6. Typical Big Law Firm

Former Employee - Lawyer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Lawyer in New York, NY

I worked at Troutman Sanders full-time

Pros

Big law firm compensation. Opportunities to work on big deals, for high-profile clients, etc. Can use firm name/experience to build resume. Pretty social work environment (this may depend a lot on what practice group you work in).

Cons

Long hours. High stress. Not much work/life balance. Typical problems of a big law firm environment. Typical training/mentoring opportunities, but if you really want to learn a particular type of law in depth, you will probably have to do this through your own initiative/effort.

7. Senior administrative assistant

I worked at Troutman Sanders

Pros

Family environment. Lasting friendships generated. Training is constantly offered for growth

Cons

More can be done to promote from within. Top talent is not recognized and allowed to transition into positions of greater responsibility

Advice to Management

Overall good company to work for. Cultivating talents of dedicated employees should be considered for long term staffing needs

8. Working conditions and benefits deteriorated over time.

I worked at Troutman Sanders full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I made some lifelong friends.

Cons

Benefits diminished over the years, starting with a longer working day, but no accompanying salary increase. Raises all but disappeared; bonuses disappeared; parking subsidies disappeared; more and more seasoned employees disappeared, increasing everyone's workload--do more w/less.

Advice to Management

Restore company values of respect and kindness towards all levels of employees; leadership comes from the top down, not the other way around. This is a law firm, and policies should come from lawyers, not those who think they know better in administration. Too many good, experienced and loyal people are being shown the door, supposedly to save money. Will you still be in business in another year? I doubt it.

The worst work experience of my life

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Troutman Sanders full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Firm management appears to have vision; lots of training opportunities offered, if you can get to them. Good benefits seem to be offered.

Cons

Lots of favoritism; poor leadership. Change not embraced and or understood by staff. Upper management is closed-minded to suggestions unless from a favorite. Ineffective or no communication or two-way conversations with management and accountability non-existent with same. Lots of covert injustices, especially to older employees, unless you are a favorite. Many functions within a department not integrated - everyone seems to have their own system. Archaic and multiple systems still being used for the same processes. Ineffective HR department. A workhouse atmosphere with lots of scared employees.

Advice to Management

None - it would not make a difference.

They're attorneys, what do you expect?

Former Employee - Paralegal in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Paralegal in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Troutman Sanders full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Intellectual property is an interesting field.

Cons

You have to work with a bunch of PhD/JD types who are going to treat you like a stupid underling.

Advice to Management

Foster more respect between attorneys and the people who make their very comfortable living possible.

Overworked, underappreciated, under paid, and outsourced in uncaring manner

Former Employee - Staff Manager in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Staff Manager in Richmond, VA

I worked at Troutman Sanders full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Simply to get a paycheck

Cons

I was a staff manager in the Richmond office for 10 years during a period of numerous attorney departures requiring accurate transition of client files. Additionally, I was responsible for transitioning client files in a complete office relocation, and for implementing in the Virginia and NC offices the first electronic records management system. I experienced a class system in the Richmond office, where I never felt accepted or "one of the team" with the attorneys. Also, I felt that reporting to the CIO in Atlanta was a drawback. The staff and attorneys in the Virginia and NC offices were all positive in working with me, as well as my staff of 3 direct and 2 indirect reportees. But I felt that the CIO Atlanta staff saw my asking questions and open management style to be a drawback, and never saw my value.

Advice to Management

After 10 years, my department was outsourced with the news relayed abruptly to me in a meeting. My direct reports heard this in the same manner as I. One of them expressed to me that I as a 10 year manager should not have had my departure handled as was his, a less than 2 year entry level employee. The other employee was a 3 year entry level employee. I feel that I should have received advance notice of this from my management. By the way, I had 20 years of management experience before coming to Troutman Sanders, and was 63 years old. My employees were in their mid 20's and entry level. Additionally, an email was sent to the Richmond office the day of my outsourcing notification, stating that my employees and I would be considered for positions with the outsourcing firm. When I spoke to the hiring manager of the outsourcing firm, he said there was nothing available for me. My employees started work with the outsourcing firm without missing a day's pay. I personally spoke with the firm's Chief Human Resources Officer, conveying my disappointment with the way this situation was handled.

RSS Feed </> Embed