TruGreen

Updated December 10, 2014
Updated December 10, 2014
2.7

David Alexander

Pros
  • Good pay with bonuses for hitting targets (in 14 reviews)

• Base pay is good, The supervisors do the best they can and they know a lot (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours and generally 6 day work weeks so be prepared to work a lot (in 31 reviews)

• It's stressful going door-to-door (in 14 reviews)

More Highlights

8 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Good company with the right values

Current Employee - Management in Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - Management in Memphis, TN

I have been working at TruGreen

Pros

The company has made huge progress this year. While it doesn't always live up to it's values it is coming closer every day and the values are real. The teamwork between departments and between the field and corporate teams has improved dramatically. Customer ratings and retention have improved dramatically. When things are not done in an honorable way appropriate action is taken.

Cons

While we are a lot better. we still have a ways to go. 2014 was a turnaround year in which we laid a foundation to build one in 2015.

As you may have guessed, I am management and I read what our folks have to say on glassdoor and other sites.

Simply Outstanding! A great environment!

Current Employee - Human Resources in Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - Human Resources in Memphis, TN

I have been working at TruGreen full-time (less than an year)

Pros

It is extremely easy to get up and come to work in the morning, knowing - every day, without exception, TruGreen embraces and promotes values and behaviors in the workplace that can be summed up in the Golden Rule: treat others as you would like to be treated. The leadership truly cares about its most valuable asset, the employees.

Cons

Cons only exist when people are afraid to speak up about an issue with the leadership. TruGreen promotes and appreciates honest feedback and leadership takes action to resolve any areas of concern.

Stay consistent with and continue promoting and embracing TruGreen Values. Our customers can detect when employees that value the company the they work for and are more likely to use our service as a result.

Much better now that Trugreen is no longer under the thumb of ServiceMaster.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Memphis, TN

I have been working at TruGreen full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The people here are wonderful. Coming to work each day and knowing that there are a handful of really wonderful people who you can count on day in and day out to help get the big tough projects completed is a blessing.

Cons

Constant struggle from the business to make a decision. Things are changing on the fly, regardless of how IT can accommodate, and sometimes after the fact. The constant threat and worry of losing your job due to being sold is the biggest issue right now.

Compensate and reward your hard workers appropriately. Don't reward the members who just do the bare-minimum to collect a paycheck. Always remember the rule of "Value Add" - too many things are done on the fly that cost our company $$$ that have very little Value Add.

Auditor/Customer Service Representative

Former Employee - Sales Auditor in Memphis, TN
    Former Employee - Sales Auditor in Memphis, TN

I worked at TruGreen full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Established company.
    Learn a lot about lawncare & horticulture.
    Enjoyed the people I worked with in the office.

Cons

Worked long hours on Saturday doing A/R collection & sale audit calls.
    Every Fall they do "temporary" seasonal layoffs and only call selective employees to return the following year.
    Customer retention was difficult and short lived.
    At a desk and on the phone your entire day of work.
    Yearly bonuses and advancement opportunity in either position is small.

Customer classification/organization is needed badly for salesman. They call the same people every week trying to sell them the services. It puts a bad taste in possible future customers mouth because we are constantly bugging them to setup or upgrade service.

I have been with Trugreen for 10 years

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Memphis, TN

I have been working at TruGreen full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

A lot of tenured employees

Cons

Short term thinking by management finds them being reactive instead of pro active.

great company, fantastic experience

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Memphis, TN

I have been working at TruGreen full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

TruGreen has been an amazing company to work for. I have had so many opportunities to develop professionally. My boss is constantly challenging me with new projects in order to expand my skill set.

Cons

In the past few years, there has been a lot of change in upper management and the company has shifted in its direction a few times which can make work challenging at times

Worst Job/Work I Ever Had

Former Employee - Lawn Specialist in Memphis, TN
    Former Employee - Lawn Specialist in Memphis, TN

I worked at TruGreen full-time

Pros

it is better than no job at all

Cons

Long days, asked to do wrong things to customers just to get your day done. Management treats you like you are of no value except for the money you are asked to bring in each day. The company has a christian message, but Christ is not in this company. All the equipment is in need of repair, and you are the one expected to repair it. The turn over is so high that some customers lawns are never going to get better because the newbe doesn't care. The training isn't that complete so you are learning on the go. and I could go on and on and on.

Not a long term career

Current Employee - Door to Door Sales Representative in Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - Door to Door Sales Representative in Memphis, TN

I have been working at TruGreen

Pros

It's a good mix of different experiences. You're taught to be self motivated and how to overcome objections well. If you can succeed in this career than you can succeed in any sales position. Good benefits.

Cons

Working over 50 hours a week with no overtime pay. Constant fear of losing job. Poor motivation tactics by management. Sales for lawn treatments are seasonal so everyone except for upper level management is laid off in December.

I suggest being more upfront with how temporary this job is. Also, requirements are constantly raised while sales opportunities decreased. Training is also way underdeveloped.

TruGreen Photos