TruGreen Reviews

Updated August 28, 2014
Updated August 28, 2014

2.6

David Alexander

Pros
  • Pay is good, opportunity to advance within company is very good (in 13 reviews)

• Independent work, flexible hours, below industry pay but pretty good benefits offered (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • It's stressful going door-to-door (in 14 reviews)

• Worked long hours on Saturday doing A/R collection & sale audit calls (in 23 reviews)

More Highlights

I really like working for TruGreen while I make my way through college

Current Employee - Lawn Specialist  in  Littleton, CO
    Current Employee - Lawn Specialist in Littleton, CO

I have been working at TruGreen full-time for less than a year

Pros

Lots of overtime
    Respected by most managers
    Friendly and fun male environment
    Get paid to change in to your uniform, take showers at work, get clothes cleaned for you.... All you have to do is get to work on time and everything else you need is provided for you

Cons

Work six days per week, long days, hardly any time for regular activities in life

Decrease daily work load so that quality of work is emphasized rather than speed of work

Sales Leader

I worked at TruGreen full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good HR support - VP of HR is strong. Strong President

Cons

Too many company politics. Too many knee-jerk changes, without supporting data. Weak Sr sales leadership. Not a customer centric company - very inconsistent practices branch by branch - would not buy from them.

Start from a customer experience perspective, solve service delivery issues, solve your seasonal hiring model.

Awesome Company to Work For!

Current Employee - Lawn Specialist  in  Loganville, GA
    Current Employee - Lawn Specialist in Loganville, GA

I have been working at TruGreen full-time for less than a year

Pros

High potential for growth. Great pay.

Cons

Nothing, Trugreen is an awesome company.

Put in you resume, now!

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Dishonest sales/service departments that attempt to make itself look wonderful to new customers.

Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative  in  West Valley City, UT
    Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative in West Valley City, UT

I have been working at TruGreen full-time for less than a year

Pros

Base pay of $500/week plus commission set some stability in a sales environment. Benefits are wide ranged, but require expensive participation from the employee. May have to work 10 hour days plus including Saturdays. Tough to get time off.

Cons

Sales managers use the Machiavellian philosophy, get a sale at all cost. Promotions are mentioned in interviews, but there's no clear path, it's basically if the boss likes you because you play golf or poker with him. It's real hard to make significantly more money weekly than about $100 weekly on commission, so you're stuck in a rut of working hard but making about the same as the base income.

increase the commission structure and check on sales managers closely.

Awesome

I have been working at TruGreen

Pros

Everything..good people and equiptment and nice managers

Cons

Long hours..driving alot and mean customers

Good people

You won't last Long

Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative  in  Myrtle Beach, SC
    Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Myrtle Beach, SC

I worked at TruGreen full-time for less than a year

Pros

Base pay of 20k per year

Cons

Mico managing including GPS tracking. You get questioned even if you break route just to go to the bathroom. Sales are good for a few months, but they make the qouto impossible to meet by mid summer and let the entire sales team go every year

Loosen up on the micromanaging and make quota achievable when the season slows down

Good pay but too focused on numbers and disorganized

Current Employee - Lawn Specialist
    Current Employee - Lawn Specialist

I have been working at TruGreen full-time

Pros

The pay is pretty good, better than most places for those without a college degree.
    Minimal supervision (usually)

Cons

Senior staff too worried about $ numbers, which leads to poor customer service strategies.
    Products used at the wrong time of year so by July a green lawn is yellow and covered in weeds.
    Lots of mixed messages from corporate level supervisors.
    Supervisors dont listen to field technicians (they have a "who cares, just go fix it" attitude)
    HORRIBLE customer service department and scheduling (for both technicians and customers)
    Customer survey system is seriously retarded. Everyone knows it sucks but nothing is done to fix it and technicians are blamed.

Stop worrying so much about sales and quotas. If we take our time treating each individual lawn we can greatly impact how our customers feel, and their neighbors as well. This will automatically lead to greater customer retention and sales without hardly any effort. This also means we need to use our products more effectively, and stop cheating customers out of the service they expect (ex. We use pre-emergent that last 6 weeks on a lawn, so by July crab grass, dandies, and other weeds come back full force. This is blamed on the technicians, which is ridiculous because we have no control of when products are applied unless we use something without telling anyone. Corporate needs to take responsibility!).
    Part of this is efficiency and effectiveness of our products. The way they tell us to mix and use our products would literally take a semi trailer full of tanks and backpacks with all sorts of different products. Stupid! Give me a single product to kill weeds that will give me the ability to resolve my customers' issues with one stop!

The Tree & Shrub service is a joke if I ever saw one. Not only does it not work but I have seen "senior" technicians use the same product (containing 2-3 insecticides and fungicides) and spray people's houses with it for foundation bug control instead of using a backpack. Would you want your house sprayed with those chemicals to the point of being soaked? Didn't think so.

I'm going to milk the cow for what its worth but doubt I will return next season unless I really need the money.

Customer service representative

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative

I have been working at TruGreen full-time for less than a year

Pros

The franchise I work for has a very friendly atmosphere among coworkers, including between office staff and field technicians. Morale is generally high, which directly benefits productivity.

Cons

The day-to-day can be relatively predictable, so if you like something more unpredictable, this may not be a good fit for you. As with any customer service job, an occasional grumpy customer can be challenging.

Not a horrible company to work for

Former Employee - Tree and Shrub Specialist
    Former Employee - Tree and Shrub Specialist

I worked at TruGreen full-time for less than a year

Pros

It's nice that they offer medical, dental and vision benefits, even though they cost a lot. Most of my fellow employees were very nice and helpful.

Cons

The pay is low in comparison to the demands of the job. It is hard manual labor, long hours and usually 6 days a week. The customers can be an absolute nightmare to work with, and management is always demanding more of you. I would recommend this job to a friend only if they were desperate for work and didn't have young children at home.

Follow through and communication are the two biggest problems with this company. When you say you are going to do something than do it. If you say you are not going to do something (like make employees work a mandatory Saturday) then do not then change your mind on Thursday when people have made other plans and also have to scramble to find a sitter. Positive feedback as well as constructive criticism would be welcome as a new employee. I never knew if I was doing a good job, an ok job or a crappy job because I never got any feedback. And when I did handle a difficult customer well or fixed a problem a brief "good job" would have gone really far for moral and probably improved my work quality and output.

Hard working but feel good at the end of the day

I worked at TruGreen

Pros

work on your own and get to control your days

Cons

you have to work in any weather and sometimes have to deal with customers that you wont like

Worked for TruGreen? Contribute to the Community!