TruGreen

www.trugreen.com

TruGreen Reviews

Updated Jul 25, 2014

David Alexander

Pros
  • Pay is good, opportunity to advance within company is very good(in 13 reviews)

• Independent work, flexible hours, below industry pay but pretty good benefits offered(in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • It's stressful going door-to-door(in 14 reviews)

• Worked long hours on Saturday doing A/R collection & sale audit calls(in 23 reviews)

Challenging and very useful.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsSeeing results of your work
    Being outside

ConsUpper management thumb on your back

Advice to Senior ManagementLet branches pick what to put on customers lawn in their situation rather then someone from another area saying whatbshould be done.

TruGreen

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood field training with follow up visits from the manager.

ConsRidiculously long hours, over 50 per week.

Long hours, shrinking pay

Residential Sales Representative (Former Employee) Minneapolis, MN

ProsThe pay structure they offer when hiring people in the spring pays well.

Before the call centers were introduced, the local branches had individual offices and felt connected to the community. Really, it felt like a family more than a business. It was a wonderful place to work in the late 90's-early 00's. The pay was great, the people were friendly. The managers knew you as a person, not a number. There were company picnics and pot lucks, baby showers and table tennis. I have very fond memories of the company in those days.

In most states the employees get a seasonal layoff (which you will need if you work for them).

As door-to-door became a bigger focus, I was surprised to see the tenured sales people (who had little experience other than fighting for inbound calls) be forced to prove if they could sell. Many d-2-d sales people had felt resentful about that, so it was nice to see management recognize the disparity.

ConsTruGreen went full corporate in the mid 00's. At that point, the focus became to find ways to change the commission structure in late spring in order to increase profitability for the branch for the rest of the year. Incentive-based pay became first on the chopping block (not the manager's pay, of course).

Back-end commissions (you had already earned months before) vanished as the company forfeited them in the new commission structures.

Suddenly you had to sell 30% more just to reach the first commission level. Not that it mattered, the weekly new full-program customer goals were always 20% higher than the year before.

You would finding yourself working 1130-9 Monday to Friday and 9-4 on Saturdays (the entire late spring and summer) chasing a new almost impossible sales goal. Even worse, when your reached your individual commission goal you had to stay/come in on Saturdays if the "team" was behind.

The same happened, to a lesser extent, with the techs.... who every year had slightly larger routes and longer days.

Having worked at several branches, it is pretty much a given that at Tru-Green the sales manager will fraternize with certain sales people and these are the people who get promotions and spiffs. Personal politics often matters more than performance.

There is also a look-the-other-way attitude by branch managers when managers of various sections (sales, office, production) cross the line in the way they speak to their employees. Screaming sales managers are unfortunately a very common thing. Now that I think about it, almost all of the most inappropriate things (sexual or otherwise) I've ever heard in a work environment was said by a sales manager at Tru-Green. Other parts of the branches were more integrated, but in my experience the sales rooms were places where jokes about female and gay employees were tolerated (if not outright encouraged).

Branch managers also can have some odd rules (such as salesmen having to wear pants and buttoned up shirts in 100+ degree heat) or not allowing someone to sign up for service unless they prepay for everything up front.

Upper management (above the branch level) spends too much time meeting with other managers and very little time actually doing anything (other than coming up with new ways to cut incentive pay). Well, I'll give them a little credit: they also spent time cooking up new sales training modules . . . problem was, the new sales methods (STAR reps, etc) were cooked up by people who knew nothing about selling. It was nothing but wasted time and money (that could have been left in employee pockets).

In recent years, sales goals would be met occasionally but even then there never was enough technicians/trucks to do the work. There would be aeration-overseedings still being done when snow was in the forecast. Free service calls to customers would be a week late (well after the guaranteed 48 hour turn around time).

It is common to have customers that have cancelled not actually be counted on the books. (Local managers control the books with basically no auditing by an independent source. Sandbagging sales is common.) Uncancelled cancelled customers can cause problems since any day it rains you will be calling people in endless computer-programmed phone campaigns.

Of course, if the branch gets fined for violating the do-not-call list, the employee gets scapegoated.

It's a shame because the company wasn't broken when it became part of Service-Master, yet management and bean-counters found a way to turn the company into a well-oiled national corporation that is disconnected from the places they serve and the people who work there.

A textbook study in how stockholders, executives and management can destroy a company.

Advice to Senior Management#1) Ditch the call centers. People don't want to talk to someone 2000 miles away. People want to talk to someone who knows how the weather has been and can come look at their yard.

Also, call center employees stole a large number of sales from employees at the last branch I worked at. It was very frustrating to call someone back that you knocked at a door to talk to, only to find corporate had signed them up and you got no credit for it!

#2) Stop with the ridiculous production/sales goals. It's the managers at the branch who communicate the message, it is upper management who sets the goals. If the company has never increased its business more than 3% in a month year-to-year, does it make sense to set goals 20% higher (than the year before) every summer?

#3) If you are going to make your employees work six days a week, then you should have to work on Saturdays as well. No one should have to work more than 48 hours in a week without any OT pay.

#4) The company has slowly been losing market share due to the way you monkey around with employee pay. Was it worth making first quarter goals in 2007 to now have the company slowly disintegrating due to workforce attrition and over-aggressive sales tactics?

#5) Allow your experienced sales people to pick their own territories instead of office politics dictating who gets to sell where.

#6) if you hire someone at a certain pay level, then don't pull the rug out from under their feet four months later. It's an insult to the employee to say they aren't worth as much as they used to be.

#7) If you must cut someone's pay, you should understand regular people have budgets and it is not fair to take away someone's back end commission they have already earned.

That pay should be grandfathered in. (I don't know if that is legal or not, but it is highly unethical to take back those earnings.)

#8) Don't call the customers 20 times a year. A lot of people cancel because the company is so endlessly persistent.

#9) The order of seasonal layoffs should be based on merit, not politics.

#10) It should be made crystal clear that any manager caught screaming, swearing, harassing or insulting employees should be demoted/fired. If it were my business: all sound in the sales room, front office and smoking area would be monitored.

#11) Some customers get freebies year after year with baseless complaints . . . they abuse the system and hog resources and yet are rewarded year after year with free services when they call/e-mail upper management. These people are NOT profitable to the company and should be screened out.

#12) Allow the local sales people the ability to offer the same deals that the call center people do!!! It's absolutely unfair to have non-local people undercut you and steal your sale. (Or even worse, having the customer Google a coupon while you are at their door and then the customer opting to call in to get the cheaper price even though you did all the work..)

#13) This will never happen, but I would fire all the levels of management between the executives and the area managers. They are a massive drain on the company and are not worth the amount of money being spent on them. If the CEO were reading this, I'd ask him/her what do these people actually produce? Do they have any purpose other than nagging those below them and cooking up half-baked training modules?

Is there really so much innovation and change in this industry that it requires a massive executive presence? Millions are spent on their payroll, is it actually worth it?

#14) There should be a certified horticulturalist at every branch.

#15) Route all service calls to the branch and have the local office personnel handle them. Calling a 1-800 number for a service call is not as efficient as calling someone who can go look in the driver's bin and leave a note on the production manager's door. The ever-increasing delay in service call completion is directly connected to the gutting of the local branch offices.

#16) Most of the people I worked with were wonderful intelligent people with big hearts and a connection to the place we lived and worked. The damage done by the corporate restructuring was devastating. The past damage cannot be undone, but maybe the company can create another nurturing well-paying environment and try to get back to what made the company so great back in the day.

More likely, if any executive actually did read this and felt spurred to do something about it, the result would be another misguided waste-of-man-hours training module.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Sat around making cold calls for the entire day. Huge turnover rate and a lot of senior staff that only cares about numb

Sales Representative (Current Employee) Denver, CO

ProsIf you can hit your goals the pay is pretty decent. The other employees are pretty cool and fun to hang around

Consyou have to start out working the bad hours and can only move to the better ones through good sales. The company has no ethics

Advice to Senior ManagementJust help the staff more

TruGreen is an incredible company to work for.

Accounts Receivable Supervisor (Former Employee) Rochester, MI

ProsI started out at an entry level position and with the training and help of the entire staff at TruGreen feel that I have grown professionally and personally. I was promoted within a year and continue to learn more the longer I worked with them. Upper management has always had an open door policy and really make you feel like you are a valuable member of team and that your ideas and input are appreciated and taken seriously whether they are implemented or not. They compensate you well and really make you feel like you are part of a growing team.

ConsUnfortunately my department was outsourced so I was out of a job. This was a corporate decision and I was sad to go.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep our employees TruGreen employees instead of using other companies for jobs like accounts receivable. This entire department was outsourced and alot of loyal, hardworking employees were without jobs without any notice. We had jobs on Tuesday and were told not to come back tomarrow without any inclination that we would be without jobs. OUCH! That really hurt us professionally, financially and very personally. We worked hard for you and were loyal to you and I feel that situation was handled very unprofessionally.

Must like change to work for this company

Commercial Account Specialist & Customer Care Coordinator (Current Employee)

ProsAt the local branch level teams can be very close knit, and you do get the chance to help people with service related issues. If you are a very high performer there are some great perks as well.

ConsAfter 3 years of working for the company I've held 5 different positions, had at least that many different supervisors and have seen the staff at the branch level cut to less than bare bones as more positions are "regionalized". As a result the customer's experience leaves a lot to be desired.

Advice to Senior ManagementLet the branches handle more of their own customer experiences. Customers are extremely dissatisfied with the fact that there is very seldom anyone in the local area they can talk to about things like billing. There also needs to be less focus on getting new customers and more focus on keeping current customers satisfied.

TruGreen Chemlawn-Territory Account Management

Senior Territory Account Representative (Former Employee) Columbia, MO

ProsGood Commission %. Good to start a resume with...

ConsRough crowd to work with (at least in Columbia, MO)

Advice to Senior ManagementSponsor your employee development more

Overall a good company it seems but a little absent minded and misguided

Inside Sales Associate (Current Employee) Tampa, FL

ProsThe benefits are decent for the size of the company. They offered some things like legal service for a small nominal fee which has come in handy, for closing on a home and legal advice. The atmosphere for the most part was enjoyable. Compensation for the sales was base pay plus commission. This is great during peak season times.

ConsManagement is very wishy washy. It seems everyday you never know what is going to come across your plate. Don't count a consistent schedule. Shift bids every 4 weeks and can range from starting as early as 8 in the morning and not leaving possibly till 11pm, depending on schedule. Systems needed to complete day to day operations is very out dated. If you need help from IT forget, you might as well learn yourself. Took away tuition reimbursement. Plus if you want to grow with the company, pretend you don't know what your doing. This is a seasonal job, we'll make about 60 percent of your income in the first 5 months, so better be able to budget.

Thank You Trugreen. I Can Tell Everyone "6 Tons of Lime Down a Week".

General Laborer (Current Employee) Chelmsford, MA

ProsGreat hours over the summer for grunts like myself. General laborers who put out find they could sleep anywhere, they get huge, and can eat like horses. Servicing 800+ lawns in 3 months grew people skills, showed me the North Shore, and inspired some fun relationships with the guys.

ConsThose work boots never liked my heels, I had to clean up after previous laborer's poor work a handful of times, and 50 hours a week for the whole summer saw the end of most leisure time.

Advice to Senior ManagementBest of luck to you guys. I hope you've reinstated voice-mail by now.

Local Oldsmar office totally awesome. General Manager Excellent. Corporate office doesn't know what it's doing.

Business Development Representative (Former Employee) Oldsmar, FL

ProsExcellent people to work with. Mgmt lets you do your own thing.

ConsCorporate doesn't know its butt from a hole in the ground. Repetitive reports, killers of millions of trees via the paper they waste. Too much redundancy. Quotas are ridiculously high.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet your bosses fired somehow

Worked for TruGreen? Contribute to the Community!