True Action

Updated September 1, 2014
Updated September 1, 2014
2.1

CEO

While there is a lack of (positive) leadership, there are also hard working intelligent people to work side-by-side with

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at True Action full-time (more than an year)

Pros

You will have an opportunity to work across large retail brands immersed in all marketing channels and take on and learn further from True Action's parent company GSI Commerce, (now Ebay Enterprise) to gain industry knowledge on an ecommerce platform.

Cons

The leadership (which continues to change dramatically) now falling under Ebay, does not have a true understanding of their employees needs or struggles. While this is a common complaint across the board, though I feel this company is further out of touch between senior and lower management.

Listening is a difficult for everyone, but as those in positions to speak on your companies behalf, listening to the companies needs is vital.

The Worst Work Environment I Have Ever Encountered

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Louisville, KY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Louisville, KY

I worked at True Action full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Pay check. That would be it. I worked at the photography studio in louisville for 2.5 long, long years and it is almost impossible to find the silver lining.

Cons

On site management is completely incompetent, leaves early, comes in late, takes additional days off, yells at employees, acts as if ideas for improvement are an inconvenience, distributes workload unfairly (favoring some and overworking others), refuses to address personnel issues within the studio, and blames everyinhouse shortcoming on upper management based in King of Prussia.
    Upper management- fires hard-working individuals and keeps Incompetent employees based on recommendations by onsight management, FURLOWS full time employees when the workload is low but then demands that they work mandatory overtime the following week with no monetary compensation, forces employees to work in 90 degree spaces with no air conditioning, refuses to take any employees concerns or grievances seriously.

There is a reason a third of the full time staff has left in one year. I realize that the management doesn't care, but the reputation precedes them in this small photographic community and staffing will inevitably become a problem. Good luck, you are going to need it.

Incompetence at it's Best

Former Employee - Monkey in King of Prussia, PA
    Former Employee - Monkey in King of Prussia, PA

I worked at True Action full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Company Benefits and Health Insurance

Cons

No new Business, No diversity in workload, Managers and Directors who are in the wrong seat on the bus as well as many other employees. People in power who do not understand how the business works not do they care to learn. The business model for a "Digital Advertising Agency" is messed up - hence why nothing works properly. Horrible team atmosphere - departments do not get along nor is there any encouragement to work together to get a job done. Motto is - "It is my way or the highway" No career growth, no leadership, too many rah-rah parties. A dead end job...

This is to eBay corporate in San Jose - Clean house now before the bot sinks!!!!

“A dead end job that steals your love of life”

Former Employee - Photo Studio in King of Prussia, PA
    Former Employee - Photo Studio in King of Prussia, PA

I worked at True Action full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

In the beginning it was a special place to work. It shaped me in a positive way and I had some of the best times of my career. All the haters and the critics of the workplace as it now exists forget just how many people paraded thru this place just looking for a quick stop and a stamp on their resume. Except for the last two years of my time there (when the new management team took over) I hired and work worked with some of the best people in this business!

Cons

The "leaders" there today are corrosive and toxic. I was at a management meeting where they told us we have to work our people to the breaking point in terms of how many hours we can get them to work and how fast we can get them to go.

When you invite the bean counters to the party, the party moves to another house. Treat your people doing the creative work as the creative people they are and not as factory line, sweatshop driven drones. As you succumb to your balance sheet demands that dull a creative culture, you reinforce the fact that you are neither dynamic nor inspiring.

No Direction, Poor Management, No Creative Thinking Allowed.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in King of Prussia, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in King of Prussia, PA

I worked at True Action full-time (more than an year)

Pros

It can say eBay on your resume.
    Culture is pretty good

Cons

All decisions come down from management good or bad you have NO say.
    Nothing is shared with the employees.
    You could be working on one project one day and a complete different one the next with no clue if it will be another tomorrow.
    I was assigned to projects/tasks I was not hired for.

Your burning through employees like matches. In the same month I left 4 others (I know of) left as well.

Completely Disorganized Company

Former Employee - Marketing Associate in King of Prussia, PA
    Former Employee - Marketing Associate in King of Prussia, PA

I worked at True Action full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Recent graduates can get a lot of experience working in the marketing world and learn a lot. Decent pay and benefits... however once you calculate

Cons

Although the compensation seems decent, once you calculate the number of hours they have you working it isn't even close!

They overwork their employees beyond imaginable. During the fourth quarter of the year I had to stay in the office until 10/11pm most nights and I was given "homework" which needed to be completed before I came to work the next morning.

They throw parties all the time to make it seem like everyone is having fun, but their extremely high turnover rate says it all.

There is absolutely no training program and a ton of information to learn! My manager never once sat down and taught me a single thing. I was told to go to different teams and ask other members if they could take a half hour out of their day to teach me.

Spend time with your new teammates and make sure they are getting the support they need. You need to actually start caring about your employees. Encourage your teammates and don't get involved in cliques. As a manager you should strive to create a happy and strong team.

Good place to work though varies by department

Current Employee - Technology in King of Prussia, PA
    Current Employee - Technology in King of Prussia, PA

I have been working at True Action full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You get to work on a good variety of major name brands. It's always fun to see your work come up among your friends without them even knowing it's yours. If you're in the right department, advancement is clear and quality is encouraged. While the hour demands can be long at times, the schedule is also flexible if you need to come in late, leave early or work from home on occasion. The pay is also very competitive if you know to push for it at hiring or promotions.

Cons

There's frequently a lack of communication and coordination between departments (accounts, technology, creative, etc.) and sites (KoP, NY & LA). There is also not a consistent culture of excellence: while some individuals are at the top of their game, others do only the bare minimum, and there's enough of the latter to drag whole projects. There's also a feeling of being the forgotten step-child with both GSI & eBay above.

Reconnect with the ground-level employees. They're the ones who know the e-commerce game at the play by play level, not as a collection of buzzwords and trends. Realize that constant reorganizations are not neutral--they reduce productivity and morale. Understand that sometimes the right answer for a client is, "no," if they are making a request that will ultimately hurt them. Don't say "yes," and then blame someone else when the client isn't please with the result.

Too many leadership changes, not enough career growth potential

Former Employee - Copywriter in King of Prussia, PA
    Former Employee - Copywriter in King of Prussia, PA

I worked at True Action full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Steady and stable work environment, where you'll never be asked to go beyond your capabilities.

Cons

No focus on developing internal talent; high turnover among senior leadership team; senior leadership team disconnected from employees, too focused on growing NY/SF offices instead of managing talent at PA location.

Focus on developing and utilizing existing talent; make more decisions with your employees in mind, rather than blindly catering to the whims of whichever corporate parent purchases the agency.

Lots of talk about putting employees first, but little action.

Current Employee - Associate in King of Prussia, PA
    Current Employee - Associate in King of Prussia, PA

I have been working at True Action full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Diverse and expanding range of large e-commerce clients
    Great team members and generally good collaboration between teams
    Agency atmosphere

Cons

Senior leaderships doesn't actually care about employees
    Bad communication from senior leadership team
    Sometimes terrible project management resulting in impossible deadlines
    Constant reorganizations since the eBay buyout, you never know who will be reporting to whom the next day, much less if you'll still have your job
    Lots of employee turnover

Don't just pretend to listen to your employees.

“A dreadful experience”

Current Employee - Interaction Designer in King of Prussia, PA
    Current Employee - Interaction Designer in King of Prussia, PA

I have been working at True Action full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Plenty of hours but you have no time for family or a life.

Cons

Very mismanaged from the VP level down to the manager level. Employee morale is below pond mud because of constant back-stabbing and high turnover. Constant layoffs
-Performance reviews are irrelevant
- Raises are either non existent or insulting
    The initial culture was challenging but fun to work with, helping the company to grow and develop. As the years went by the atmosphere morphed into a very greedy and ruthless environment where the senior level management team sought to expel free thinkers and respectful managers and replace them with psychopathic minions that operate in automaton fashion. The employee churn and dissatisfaction with this company are off the charts due to the company's attitude which is that they can never ask you to do too much or pay you too little to do it. The motto by the VP is "if you don't like it here go find another job". No motivation to advance and no career path.

If you want to know why projects are failing, talk to everyone on the project, not just the leadership. Get a grip. We are humans not machines. We care more about our families than work; it's why we work.