True Manufacturing

Updated Apr 3, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Steve Trulaske

A successful company focused on improving the employee experience

I have been working at True Manufacturing full-time for more than a year

ProsThe company is full of talented employees! There is plenty of opportunity to grow and develop if you work hard.
Teamwork atmosphere!

ConsThe company has a clock in and clock out requirement regardless of position. In addition, the environment is not flexible.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf the leadership team focused on the time off policy and created flexible work conditions, it would be the perfect place to work!

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

They are only hurting themselves.

I have been working at True Manufacturing

ProsThe work is diverse and interesting. Peers are friendly.

ConsThe culture is too rigid and antiquated. Results should account for more than adherence to rules.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf the company learns how to measure correctly they won't have to treat the employees like petulant children. Management needs to grow up.

It was a good place to work.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at True Manufacturing

ProsThey had very good benefits.

ConsThere was no employee representation.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A commercial refrigerator/freezer manufacturing company that grew too big to fast.

Office Employee (Current Employee)
Bowling Green, MO

I have been working at True Manufacturing full-time for more than 5 years

ProsPlenty of opportunity to learn and see many different manufacturing processes.

ConsOutdated management structure. Places too much emphasis on production instead of employee satisfaction. Poor Vacation/Sick Time policies. Very little room for career advancement. Salary employees do not have the flexibility that should come with being salaried.

Terrible Work Atmosphere

Office (Former Employee)

I worked at True Manufacturing full-time for more than a year

ProsThere are some very nice people that work at True Manufacturing.

ConsPoor management, poor pay, poor employer/employee relations.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrue is like a revolving door; they can't keep employees because they are so strict and uptight and talented, hard working people aren't going to put up with the atmosphere: absolutely no personal telephone calls (even if it's an emergency), do not be 1 second late for work, or your paycheck will be deducted; absolutely no socializing at all; don't be more creative or a harder worker than your manager, or they will make your life hell (and find a way to get you in trouble). And once you're on the sh** list at True, you're always on the list. To the managers: Quit micromanaging and quit rewarding people who rat on other people. Let us do the job we are hired to do. True is full of people who are so worried about what everyone else is doing that they aren't doing their own jobs. Some of the managers don't even know how to perform the work they're managing! True keeps making more and more money, but when it comes time for raises, they are suddenly short of cash. Here's an idea for True: happy employees are more productive. This is the 21st century, quit treating your employees like it's 1930. And here is the saddest statement of all: I don't think the owner is even aware of half of what is going on in his company. He lets the managers do what ever they want.

Office employee

Office Employee (Current Employee)
Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at True Manufacturing full-time for more than a year

ProsNot a whole lot to say here.

ConsWhere do I start. Dog eat dog environment. Like living in a prison. STRICT attendance policy for average pay..Go to another building you have to clock out and they clock in at the building you are going to and then clock out when you leave and clock in again when you get back . Each time typing in a four digit number. Talk about trust. One review hit it on the head. If you are coming back from a plant and have to stop for any reason they question why it took you 40 minutes and not the 35min it should take you because the HR dept has a sheet that tells them how much time it should take to get to each factory. Come on, Hit a road closed one day on my way to Pacific and had to go all the way around and it took me a lot longer and they questioned it and acted like they did not believe me. I even left a half hour early on my own time. World Class my butt.. They think the raises are something you should be proud of too and the bonus's are a joke.. Funny thing here is that I could ask my manager who majority are "yes" people a question about my job and they had no answer for me. Happened all the time. What ever happened to managers working there way up the ladder and knowing the job so anyone below you has a question the manager would know. Factory is like this too. Factory has managers who manage managers who manage line leaders and all just stand around and watch people work. I saw it all the time. Put them on the line and work too and if someone has a question they can answer it. Total waste of time and money. They have a set of hands put them to work and quit putting so much effort in policing the employees. They are great workers.. If someone quits they put whoever says yes the most into management . Find that out real quick.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork on knowing your job and trust your employees this will allow for less turnover which is out of control at this company. Quit worrying about someone below you being better than you at your job which a lot of them are..

Military Boot Camp meets manufacturing

Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at True Manufacturing full-time for more than 3 years

ProsTrue is very very good at sourcing components for its products in the US even if that means making them in house
Because of being mostly debt free, they do not worry about short term gains and look at the long term
The employee savings plan benefits both the company and the employees
They stopped requiring the salaried employees to work one Saturday a month in 2011

ConsI could go on for a long time about the issues with this place.
-The attendance policy as mentioned in other reviews is EXTREMELY strict. As a salaried employee if you are one minute late clocking in (!!!) they will automatically charge you one minute of vacation. Working past quitting time does not count. Their new progressive policy introduced when I worked there was one time per week you could flex your start time 15 minutes late. Not 16 or 17 as that went into vacation time. FYI the human stampede to leave the office at 5:00 by the front door is one you will never forget. It did get better when some employees were switched to 4:30 quitting time.
-Management is paranoid about their employees and spy on them continuously. There are cameras all over the place in the office. They will read your emails. They will listen to your phone calls. They will check what files you have on your computer.
-As mentioned in another review, they do subsidize lunch in the lunchroom. But it isn't worth the $3. Bigger point is that because of the size of the lunch room, they have 3 lunch periods of 30 minutes each. You are not allowed to choose when you take lunch. You are not allowed to switch which lunch period you have. Taking a 32 minute lunch (which is how long the round trip to the nearest McDonalds takes) results in being docked in your pay. And don't work through your lunch because if you are driving between plants and stop for lunch because of it, you WILL be reported to your manager for .not working your full 8 hours
-The departments act like their own fiefdoms and will not work with other departments. At one point, one department refused to share information with R&D even though the owner told them too. The response was "we don't report to you"
-If you do not fit into their culture, they have no qualms about firing you on a moments notice. Saw it happen to 3 other salaried people while I worked there.
-Their vacation policy is just plain stupid. You have to schedule vacation 24 hours in advance. You do not get PTO when can be taken without notice until 1 year experience. I personally knew one person who quit because of this. She had earned over 3 weeks of comp time due to travelling on weekends during her first 9 months. But during the snow and ice storms in 2011 she was late 3 times and was on track to be fired. She was not allowed to use the comp time without prior notice and was told "she just needed to leave home earlier"

Advice to Senior ManagementThe bad reputation of your company is spreading. One day in the future one of the larger companies in the appliance market will decide to compete in the commercial refrigeration market. Then all your strict policies will not benefit you one bit.

Warning : Never Work Here!!!

Producton (Former Employee)

I worked at True Manufacturing full-time

Pros$12 -13 starting pay, benefits after 6 months of employment

ConsNo attendance policy so if you call in they will fire you. No air conditioning and once the electricity went out, so the fans quit working, and they still made us work in 100+ temperatures. They will force you to do overtime, if not, your fired. They moved me from a job I was good at to somewhere I wasn't and fired me for it instead of moving me back. Employees worked off the clock in fear that they would not make their quota. I tried to switch my hours and was denied. I tried to switch my position back to where I was productive and was denied. Management will pull you aside and scold you in front of all the other workers several times a day if you are not making your quota. Management tried to get me to sign a paper that said "voluntary termination" on it. After I was fired it took about a month for me to get my last paycheck, after a few phone calls and a visit to the office. I feel so bad for the people that work there, its an unethical and a very corrupt company.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop acting like slave drivers. They sure do like to crack that whip, constantly.....all day. Advice for human resources - allow employees to change positions or hours. Set up an attendance policy so they don't lose their job if they get sick and need to call in.

An adequate living

Machine Operator (Current Employee)

ProsJob security
Incredibly simple work - anybody can do it
Whenever they have overtime, it's all voluntary
Good benefits and little extras
Insurance kicks in after only 3 months
You get a week of paid vacation after only 6 months
The cafeteria offers a delicious lunch for $3 (day shift only)

ConsStanding for 8+ hours - my feet are on fire at the end of the day
All the little things are nice, but I'd trade them for better pay
Starting pay is $12 an hour and there's a $.20 raise every six months, do the math
You'd have to work there:
8 years to make $30,000 a year
20 years to make $40,000 a year
28 years to make $50,000 a year
Merit raises are extremely rare, apparently they used to be more common
No raise for being promoted to machine setup
The work is mind-numbingly repetitive
Overtime comes and goes

Advice to Senior ManagementI don't know that there's much that can be done. Unskilled manual labor isn't what it used to be. From what I've been told, it sounds like the place has really tightened up since the recession.

Good luck getting help

Production (Former Employee)
Pacific, MO

I worked at True Manufacturing full-time for more than a year

ProsThe people are great, not the management but the people you work beside day in day out.
Pay is average. Summer conditions suck.

ConsThe HR department and upper management is a joke, I injured my shoulder at work and they refused to let me leave due to having to pay overtime. I worker there for 1 year and a half and requested to transfer to days, they gave me the run around until the very last day, I ended up leaving and haven't looked back since.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees needs, we break our back for you 40 hours a week in 120 degree weather and if anyone needs something from you we are met with a closed door or a hr rep that does not care.

Worked for True Manufacturing? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at True Manufacturing reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for True Manufacturing CEO Steve Trulaske. All 16 reviews posted anonymously by True Manufacturing employees.