True Value Reviews

True Value CEO John Hartmann
John Hartmann

Transition

I worked at True Value full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Established concern, aggressive call to action with strategic direction and funded projects. Full benefits.

Cons

Complex business model, not a franchise. Inconsistent project management practices-- immaturity.

2. Downward Spiral

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at True Value full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good pay, benefits, PTO, and (depending on manager) work/life balance.

Cons

Trying to grow too quickly in too many ways all at once. The company does not practice the values it preaches, especially the value of Respect. Managers talk about and cut down employees behind their backs constantly. People are promoted based on who likes them, and not talent or experience. Job security does not exist. Restructuring is leading to the loss of really great talent. What was once a fun, hardworking office that had a family feel is now cold, corporate and clique-y.

Advice to Management

There a still a few people left who understand the company and helped build it. Take the time to train them to be what you need them to be in order to move forward, instead of writing them off. Take a good look at what the culture has turned into over the last 2 years. Many people are down and dis-engaged. Set realistic goals. Strategy is having a plan of action that moves things forward while mitigating risk. It is not being a renegade and changing everything all at once.

Current employee

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at True Value full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Truly wants to see the True Value business owners succeed. Decent health benefits.

Cons

Inconsistency within departments when it comes to flex time and working from home. Going through a lot of changes at all levels. Great people are leaving because they are under-appreciative by management

Advice to Management

Re-think your strategy. Too many changes going on at once.

5. Corporate Headquarters

Former Employee - Information Technology in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Information Technology in Chicago, IL

I worked at True Value full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great fellow colleagues, always willing to help.

Cons

Pay scale is at the low end. Yearly increases are one to two percent. Employee is not valued.

6. No loyalty

I worked at True Value full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Salary and benefits are equal to a company this size, non management great to work with

Cons

They have no loyalty to their employees no mater how long you work for them, they will let anyone go in a heartbeat,

Advice to Management

Need to get rid of most of your managers

7. Gained knowledge but no room to climb

Former Employee - Senior Coordinator in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Coordinator in Chicago, IL

I worked at True Value full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

PTO was decent to start. They match 401k. Nice building and most associates are very friendly. Had some great leaders that worked with me too try and promote me. I love the true value foundation.

Cons

Lower management was horrible. Ended up with a micro manager that affected work flow and then would question why you were behind. Pay wasn't competitive and yearly raises were a joke. Difficult to move up or through the company unless you made personal connections. Supervisor's were known to bash you to other departments as not to lose you.

Advice to Management

Take a closer look at lower management. I'm all for promoting within but some of them have no management skills and it's causing good people to leave. Continue to update systems. Review pay scale. Hire people to take over people who have left. Usually positions are left empty and employees end up over worked.

Work here if you want to step back in time. Good ole boy network is alive and well here.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at True Value full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There is only one way to go and that is up because they are at the bottom related to culture, racial diversity, associate engagement and values

Cons

The lack of diversity in thought processes and race. The lack of knowledg and best practices from people in Mid and Senior level management. The lack of partnership between the departments. It's Operations way or the highway and no business will prosper without strong leadership and input. It goes back to the old saying "2 heads are better than 1"

Advice to Management

Get into the 21st century. You can do all the tv shows you want but until you shake the trees of your gossiping, non confidentiality having , "Friends" not business relationships that are breed amongst your HR and Operations teams you will never elevate the level of talent needed to run a world class operation. This generation doesn't want to work for an organization that functions like it is still 1980.

Exciting times at True Value

Current Employee - Senior Recruiting Consultant in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Recruiting Consultant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at True Value full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

With John Hartmann at the helm and huge investments in growing the business announced in Q4 of 2014 it's a great time to join True Value. Having spent much of my career recruiting for technology professionals I'm excited to join the company just in time to see heavy investment in some really interesting IT projects. Not to mention all the other new roles that are being introduced in 2015.

Cons

True Value has traditionally not been know as a great place to work if you're an IT professional looking to build on the latest technology infrastructure. It will be interesting to see how that presentation changes as the company invests heavily in upgrades and new initiates.

Great company, great people, great work

Current Employee - Category Analyst in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Category Analyst in Chicago, IL

I have been working at True Value full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

people, ethics, friendly, driven, strong member focus

Cons

we can be restricted by our business model to drive sales for our members

Love working for True Value

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at True Value full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company has a new CEO (1 year in) and is working on creating a new strategic vision, involving the WHOLE company in decisions. The company launched new values about a year ago. People who say they don't have a culture/values haven't taken the time to listen, because they are broadcast everywhere. They value training (internal and external) and people really do care about you. If you work hard, make yourself known (promote YOURSELF people...no one's going to do it for you), and focus on growth and development, you'll go far in this company.

Cons

I agree that some managers have a long way to go. I am hoping with the new strategy that a lot of "old thought" is flushed out. I'm also hoping that more people are hired, as we all wear many hats and can be stretched thin.

Advice to Management

Make sure you're looking at your Manager/Director level. A lot of them aren't as great as you may think. It's the individual contributors who make this company what it is right now.

RSS Feed </> Embed