True Value

True Value Reviews

Updated Jul 9, 2014

True Value CEO John Hartmann

John Hartmann

Double standards between management and associates

Clerk (Former Employee)
    Springfield, OR

ProsGood benefits, flexible work schedule

ConsI was written up for raising my voice (out of frustration)to a manager, however, when a manager yelled and screamed at me (supposedly out of frustration) and I complained about it, I was written up. My supervisor said it was my fault that she yelled at me and therefore justified. Double standard. Twice during this disciplinary action, I had to ask my supervisor to lower his voice (he has a history of yelling at associates under him). This is common practice at the Springfield, OR RDC as upper management turns a blind eye to how their department managers run there associates. I was terminated on the grounds that I create a negative environment. How negative is it when managers and supervisors are allowed to yell and belittle their crew on a daily basis, as well as talk negatively about an associate to other associates. The Outbound Manager routinely told me about others' production rates, personal problems, disciplinary problems.

Advice to Senior ManagementWake up! Find out what is going on in your RDC. Knock down the silos and get involved in how supervisors treat their employees.

Fun

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsI had an avenue of employment.

ConsBenefits...company didn't want to back employees with them.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive better benefits.

A well organized company seeking the satisfaction of their customers.

Customer Service (Current Employee)
    Jamul, CA

ProsAmazing customer service, also has the ability to order almost anything.

ConsSome of their truck drivers are a little on the grumpy side.

Advice to Senior ManagementAmazing management, although I believe that it is time to upgrade the electronic side of their company.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Traditional company in mostly good ways.

Assistant Buyer (Former Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsWorking here and supporting individually owned hardware stores gave me better job satisfaction than working in other companies. The company is a long-term stable company for those looking for that sort of environment.

ConsBeing a relatively small company, the opportunities for advancement are minimal as openings occur infrequently. The nature of the business and store owners tend to be more traditional and slower to adapt to retail trends. Store owners can be very set in their ways.

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove training programs to build a stronger 'bench' of potential mid-level employees

Great place to work, especially with the new CEO and direction the company is headed.

Chicago, IL

ProsPersonal growth/development, strong focus on values and culture, a lot of managers offer the opportunity to work from home every now and then when needed, everyone really treats you like family

ConsSome managers aren't consistent, but that will hopefully change with the new direction of the company, pay could be more competitive
    (Especially for existing emoyees)

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your teams - there are a lot of great ideas out there, often in the most unexpected places/employees

Cannot advance your career here

Chicago, IL

ProsPTO and work/life balance is pretty good

Conscannot advance your career here, management plays favorites, below market pay

Advice to Senior ManagementFigure out how to keep your talent here! People are leaving this company for a reason

Helms True Value - Selah, WA 98942

Sales Associate (Former Employee)
    Selah, WA

ProsFriendly co-workers, decent full-time benefits. Rotating weekends for every employee which is nice since most retailers require employees to work most weekends.

ConsTo many managers, disorganized and conflicting direction from leaders. Don't get on the managers bad sides because they will screw you over some how, very vindictive. No advancement, no opportunities to advance in the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementDesign a better management philosophy, get an employee hand book and follow your own rules that you set forth, don't just enforce them on specific people. Learn to communicate and to be truthful and honest with your employees. Treat others like you would want to be treated.

Going places, but growing pains expected

Chicago, IL

ProsTrue Value has a great mission and vision, to support locally owned businesses across the U.S. and around the world. The culture is warm, and believes in their cause and their core values. They're also preparing and getting aligned for growth.

ConsIt's been a slow-moving, siloed organization for years, and hasn't invested much in infrastructure over the past few decades (which I believe was out of a good intention to be stewards of member/shareholder funds. But you know what they say about "the road to hell"). They're vastly behind technologically, and while they're looking to change this, and change fast, the growing pains are going to be pretty harsh.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the current drive for increased collaboration and focus on the customer chain.

It's a great place to work for someone about to retire

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsCompany celebrates employees, great benefits

ConsPeople stay at this company forever which means there's little room for growth in a single department.

Great Work Enviornment

Sales Associate (Former Employee)
    Palo Alto, CA

Prosfriendly place to work with great managers

Conskeeping tack of inventory was a bit of a difficulty

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work!

Worked for True Value? Contribute to the Community!

True Value Videos

True Value – Why Work for Us?

​​​​​​​​Join a company that values the best Headquartered in Chicago, True Value Company is one of the world's largest member-owned hardware cooperatives. With Destination True Value we've created a compelling shopping… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at True Value reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for True Value CEO John Hartmann. All 51 reviews posted anonymously by True Value employees.