True Value

True Value CEO John Hartmann

John Hartmann

Love working for True Value

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsThe company has a new CEO (1 year in) and is working on creating a new strategic vision, involving the WHOLE company in decisions. The company launched new values about a year ago. People who say they don't have a culture/values haven't taken the time to listen, because they are broadcast everywhere. They value training (internal and external) and people really do care about you. If you work hard, make yourself known (promote YOURSELF people...no one's going to do it for you), and focus on growth and development, you'll go far in this company.

ConsI agree that some managers have a long way to go. I am hoping with the new strategy that a lot of "old thought" is flushed out. I'm also hoping that more people are hired, as we all wear many hats and can be stretched thin.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure you're looking at your Manager/Director level. A lot of them aren't as great as you may think. It's the individual contributors who make this company what it is right now.

A Time of Growing Pains

Anonymous (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsThe majority of the longer term employees are friendly and welcoming.They seem to really care about the welfare of the company. The company is now addressing the lag in technology.

ConsUnorganized chaos in the IT department. Frequent verbal changes in direction of "vision". Departments need more employees to handle the workload.

Advice to Senior ManagementToo few contacts between IT and Departments. More clarity in how things will be done to move forward.

Excellent place to work

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Martin, SD

ProsManagement was thoroughly dedicated to community and flat out doing good business. We strived for an atmosphere and to provide a service to keep our customers coming back, and were successful in doing so. Work was fast paced and demanding at times, but extremely satisfying.

ConsEmployee schedules seemed difficult to coordinate, especially in such a small business.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Small but mighty

Anonymous (Current Employee) Schnecksville, PA

ProsFlexible schedule, great customers n employees

ConsA lot of lifting n loading

Advice to Senior ManagementForecasting can help ordering stop orderring Novelty's , over ordering

this place is just so so

Inventory Planner (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsIts an easy low stress job. They have so so benefits. they have so so events

ConsIt is an extremely old outdated company. they are way behind the curve and even further behind competition.

Advice to Senior ManagementAdvice to CEO. Please learn how to grow and develop a company. All the way down to management.

a 3 on scale of 10 so far

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

Prosbenefits and some and only some of the internal training. a lot of it is so outdated

Conspay, lack of change and vision, no real strategy to compete in space with ACE

Advice to Senior Managementwake up and lift the rocks of leaders both new to TV and long term. IT is a mess as is ecom

Positive, although lack of upward mobility

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFlexible hours, the company culture was good

ConsLack of upward mobility, the pay was minimum wage

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider upward mobility program

Overall a good place to work

ProsGood benefits, PTO, and co-workers.

ConsPay is not the best and this is well known. Yearly raises are not the best either. People leave the company and positions not filled resulting in more work for current associates. Limited vertical growth.

Advice to Senior ManagementEnough with calling everything an opportunity. Buzzwords don't fool anyone. Be straight with the associates.

Tax Accountant

Tax Accountant (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsPay job growth value change hr people

ConsPay managers small opportunity small politics

Advice to Senior ManagementPay more

Lower management needs to improve communication skills.

Order Filler (Former Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsThe benefits are good here.

ConsLower management does not have the proper manager employee communicating skills. I have read on here where they yell at you, and that is very true.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn to appreciate your employees, not stress them out. They play a big role in the operations of the distrubution center. Ask them how are they doing when you approach them, don't talk to them like they are nothing.

Worked for True Value? Contribute to the Community!