True Value

John Hartmann

Exciting times at True Value

Current Employee - Senior Recruiting Consultant in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Recruiting Consultant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at True Value full-time (less than an year)

Pros

With John Hartmann at the helm and huge investments in growing the business announced in Q4 of 2014 it's a great time to join True Value. Having spent much of my career recruiting for technology professionals I'm excited to join the company just in time to see heavy investment in some really interesting IT projects. Not to mention all the other new roles that are being introduced in 2015.

Cons

True Value has traditionally not been know as a great place to work if you're an IT professional looking to build on the latest technology infrastructure. It will be interesting to see how that presentation changes as the company invests heavily in upgrades and new initiates.

An exciting and new experience every day at work.

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Ocean City, MD
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Ocean City, MD

I have been working at True Value part-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

While working there I felt like the people that I worked with became like a family to me. I looked forward to going to work every single day. The managers were always more than helpful to teach you everything they know, they were really good about taking my under their wings. They also taught me the real-life side of business, nothing was fabricated to make it seem better than it was. They are extraordinarily knowledgeable and experienced.

Cons

The only con for me really was progressing upwards. The pay did increase slightly year by year but as far as obtaining new responsibilities I did find that I eventually hit a wall.

Keep doing what you're doing. I learned so much about sales, hardware, and customer service.

Great company with competitive pay

Current Employee - Merchandiser
    Current Employee - Merchandiser

I have been working at True Value full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The pay is above average in the surrounding area. Training depends on what department you are in. Once you learn how the system works you will do great. The people are nice, friendly, and helpful.

Cons

No overtime allowed at all. If its not spring time, dont count on any overtime. There are times when managment tends to micro manage.

Consider hiring people that want to work not just a paycheck. It costs more money to keep hiring people and training, then it does to hire a quality employee.

In the midst of change

I worked at True Value full-time

Pros

Medium sized company that feels like a small company. Benefits are decent, Nice corporate office building with amenities. Most long time employees are friendly. Emphasis on company values. Training/extended learning opportunities. Some people return after being at other companies.

Cons

Co-op business model is challenging to work in. Some systems are outdated. No career ladder for advancement. People leave for another company and sometimes return in order to advance. Still a large silo environment, making cross-functional work challenging.

Great company, great people, great work

Current Employee - Category Analyst in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Category Analyst in Chicago, IL

I have been working at True Value full-time (less than an year)

Pros

people, ethics, friendly, driven, strong member focus

Cons

we can be restricted by our business model to drive sales for our members

Too Much..!!

Former Employee - Merchandise Handler in Westlake, OH
    Former Employee - Merchandise Handler in Westlake, OH

I worked at True Value full-time (more than an year)

Pros

nice pay after about two years of work there.

Cons

want you to move at a fast pace...But whn you do you get penalized.

this place is just so so

Current Employee - Inventory Planner in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Inventory Planner in Chicago, IL

I have been working at True Value full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Its an easy low stress job. They have so so benefits. they have so so events

Cons

It is an extremely old outdated company. they are way behind the curve and even further behind competition.

Advice to CEO. Please learn how to grow and develop a company. All the way down to management.

Love working for True Value

I have been working at True Value full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The company has a new CEO (1 year in) and is working on creating a new strategic vision, involving the WHOLE company in decisions. The company launched new values about a year ago. People who say they don't have a culture/values haven't taken the time to listen, because they are broadcast everywhere. They value training (internal and external) and people really do care about you. If you work hard, make yourself known (promote YOURSELF people...no one's going to do it for you), and focus on growth and development, you'll go far in this company.

Cons

I agree that some managers have a long way to go. I am hoping with the new strategy that a lot of "old thought" is flushed out. I'm also hoping that more people are hired, as we all wear many hats and can be stretched thin.

Make sure you're looking at your Manager/Director level. A lot of them aren't as great as you may think. It's the individual contributors who make this company what it is right now.

A Time of Growing Pains

Current Employee - Anonymous in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Chicago, IL

I have been working at True Value

Pros

The majority of the longer term employees are friendly and welcoming.They seem to really care about the welfare of the company. The company is now addressing the lag in technology.

Cons

Unorganized chaos in the IT department. Frequent verbal changes in direction of "vision". Departments need more employees to handle the workload.

Too few contacts between IT and Departments. More clarity in how things will be done to move forward.

a 3 on scale of 10 so far

I have been working at True Value full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

benefits and some and only some of the internal training. a lot of it is so outdated

Cons

pay, lack of change and vision, no real strategy to compete in space with ACE

wake up and lift the rocks of leaders both new to TV and long term. IT is a mess as is ecom

True Value Photos