True Value Reviews

Updated March 24, 2015
75 reviews filtered by

1. Manager

I have been working at True Value

Pros

Great benefits and work environment. Management can be a little demanding but its for your own good.

Cons

Small room for growth. Even though you make a good living, you eeventually hit the wall of growth.

Keep it up

2. Work here if you want to step back in time. Good ole boy network is alive and well here.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at True Value full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

There is only one way to go and that is up because they are at the bottom related to culture, racial diversity, associate engagement and values

Cons

The lack of diversity in thought processes and race. The lack of knowledg and best practices from people in Mid and Senior level management. The lack of partnership between the departments. It's Operations way or the highway and no business will prosper without strong leadership and input. It goes back to the old saying "2 heads are better than 1"

Get into the 21st century. You can do all the tv shows you want but until you shake the trees of your gossiping, non confidentiality having , "Friends" not business relationships that are breed amongst your HR and Operations teams you will never elevate the level of talent needed to run a world class operation. This generation doesn't want to work for an organization that functions like it is still 1980.

3. I love the company very prideful.

Current Employee - Rental Manager in Clarinda, IA
    Current Employee - Rental Manager in Clarinda, IA

I have been working at True Value full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The company is great always allowing you to interact with other stores and members. Really great learning opportunities and working on making it easier for the members to learn. Really trying to modernize and grow the company. And always able to give you answers.

Cons

Sometimes their product decisions for sales not always the best need to get more creative but also keep it simple such as Black Friday ads.

Create opportunities for retailers the ability to grow into corporate and or ownerships so that the young people can create careers.

5. Financial Analyst

I worked at True Value

Pros

Good Benefits. For a non downtown office the location is ok as it is right on the Blue Line. Relaxed work environment

Cons

Generation gap between employees, a lot of people at the tail end of careers and a lot at the beginning, no middle ground. The same applies to salaries. Very limited career opportunities after 2 years.

6. Great stating job

I have been working at True Value

Pros

Learned a lot about business. Enjoyed talking with customers and helping with their projects.

Cons

Store not growing. No grand stragety set in plan. Doesn't seem like they have things planned very well.

7. Corp Associate

I have been working at True Value full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great people both in Chicago and the Field

Cons

Very mature and competitive market. Unique business model (ownership) presents many challenges.

8. Could be a lot better

Current Employee - Driver in Springfield, OR
    Current Employee - Driver in Springfield, OR

I have been working at True Value full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Out and back on run

Cons

I never worked so hard for so little

Figure out where you are going

9. Exciting times at True Value

Current Employee - Senior Recruiting Consultant in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Recruiting Consultant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at True Value full-time (less than a year)

Pros

With John Hartmann at the helm and huge investments in growing the business announced in Q4 of 2014 it's a great time to join True Value. Having spent much of my career recruiting for technology professionals I'm excited to join the company just in time to see heavy investment in some really interesting IT projects. Not to mention all the other new roles that are being introduced in 2015.

Cons

True Value has traditionally not been know as a great place to work if you're an IT professional looking to build on the latest technology infrastructure. It will be interesting to see how that presentation changes as the company invests heavily in upgrades and new initiates.

10. Newly growing, changing company that for the last 10 years has been very stagnant.

I have been working at True Value

Pros

New energy to grow and change with the changing marketplace. Friendly environment with generally happy employees. Interest in developing employees with options to expand skills.

Cons

With so much change, the company is finding some growing pains in how to be agile and efficient

Find ways to better anticipate changes in workload to ensure proper resources during change.

11. An exciting and new experience every day at work.

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Ocean City, MD
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Ocean City, MD

I have been working at True Value part-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

While working there I felt like the people that I worked with became like a family to me. I looked forward to going to work every single day. The managers were always more than helpful to teach you everything they know, they were really good about taking my under their wings. They also taught me the real-life side of business, nothing was fabricated to make it seem better than it was. They are extraordinarily knowledgeable and experienced.

Cons

The only con for me really was progressing upwards. The pay did increase slightly year by year but as far as obtaining new responsibilities I did find that I eventually hit a wall.

Keep doing what you're doing. I learned so much about sales, hardware, and customer service.