True Value Reviews

1. Average

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Mansfield, OH
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Mansfield, OH

I worked at True Value

Pros

Good leadership and not a bad atmosphere to work in at all

Cons

Work gets repetitive but still not all that bad.

Advice to Management

I do not have any

2. Gained knowledge but no room to climb

Former Employee - Senior Coordinator in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Coordinator in Chicago, IL

I worked at True Value full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

PTO was decent to start. They match 401k. Nice building and most associates are very friendly. Had some great leaders that worked with me too try and promote me. I love the true value foundation.

Cons

Lower management was horrible. Ended up with a micro manager that affected work flow and then would question why you were behind. Pay wasn't competitive and yearly raises were a joke. Difficult to move up or through the company unless you made personal connections. Supervisor's were known to bash you to other departments as not to lose you.

Advice to Management

Take a closer look at lower management. I'm all for promoting within but some of them have no management skills and it's causing good people to leave. Continue to update systems. Review pay scale. Hire people to take over people who have left. Usually positions are left empty and employees end up over worked.

3. Store Manager

Current Employee - Store Manager in Harrisburg, PA
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Harrisburg, PA

I have been working at True Value full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The employees and customers are great.

Cons

The owner treats you like you are disposable.

Advice to Management

Take care of your employees. Maybe some will stay longer.

5. My experience of True Value DIstribution Center in Allentown PA in 6 years

Former Employee - Warehouse Associate in Allentown, PA
    Former Employee - Warehouse Associate in Allentown, PA

I worked at True Value full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Decent money for unskilled work
    *some* of the supervisors are very nice and help you out a lot.
    Great benefits

Cons

Overtime- and an insane amount of it. Management is too stupid to realize that there is way too much work (generally tuesday and wednesday) so you get slammed with 3-4 hour of mandatory overtime. Yet on Fridays there isn't enough work so everyone can go home anywhere from 1-7 hours early if you sign up for "CC".. Why bother smoothing out the workload to lower OT and have an even amount of work each day? Makes sense right? To capitalize on this, the OT is mandatory and you can't get out of it without a doctors excuse. After 3 missed overtimes you're fired; no exceptions. I needed to drop out of college because they wouldn't give me an exception to make it to school.. Yes I ended up going back and getting my Bachelor's so i could make it out of this hell hole. I talked to HR at the warehouse as well as head of HR at headquarters, and they were anything but helpful. Goes to show how much they "care" about their employees future.

Management- As you can tell from the previous con, management is a bunch of idiots here to put it nicely. They micro-manage everything and make the warehouse associate's lives hell. I got suspended for 3 days an empty box in a bin, because their computer system said i was the last associate to pick from that location. I argued that anyone could have thrown the box there, because it wasn't even a box that belonged in that bin, but they really didn't care. They try to make an example of people. They will write you up for anything and everything possible during their slow seasons.

Extremely fast paced work- This is to be expected in a warehouse, but still i'll consider it a con. They raised the rates every few months, then you still have quality expectations to meet so it's not easy. The place is a revolving door because not everyone can keep up. They'll never admit it, but it's very apparent when they throw slower workers in the more difficult sections to that they can't make the rate and get fired. I saw multiple people get fired that were a few years left before retiring. It's amazing as to how heartless management here is.

Disgusting- Their "Q" section which is filled with bird seed and dog food is more digusting than anything i've ever seen. There are tons of mice which are seen running around all of the time. The section smells terrible and generally they have the brand new hires clean that section on Fridays when the regular work is complete. You will find many live mice stuck to traps; yeah it's real fun.

There are many other cons, but i'm sure you get the point. I'm willing to bet the office life here isn't too bad, but the warehouse in Allentown is not a good work environment by any means. If you can work somewhere else, I suggest to stay away.

Advice to Management

Seek a new career.

6. Good place to work.

I have been working at True Value full-time

Pros

Create your own schedule.

Cons

Not a lot of room for growth unless you are willing to relocate to Chicago to work at headquarters.

7. Manager

I have been working at True Value

Pros

Great benefits and work environment. Management can be a little demanding but its for your own good.

Cons

Small room for growth. Even though you make a good living, you eeventually hit the wall of growth.

Advice to Management

Keep it up

8. Work here if you want to step back in time. Good ole boy network is alive and well here.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at True Value full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There is only one way to go and that is up because they are at the bottom related to culture, racial diversity, associate engagement and values

Cons

The lack of diversity in thought processes and race. The lack of knowledg and best practices from people in Mid and Senior level management. The lack of partnership between the departments. It's Operations way or the highway and no business will prosper without strong leadership and input. It goes back to the old saying "2 heads are better than 1"

Advice to Management

Get into the 21st century. You can do all the tv shows you want but until you shake the trees of your gossiping, non confidentiality having , "Friends" not business relationships that are breed amongst your HR and Operations teams you will never elevate the level of talent needed to run a world class operation. This generation doesn't want to work for an organization that functions like it is still 1980.

9. I love the company very prideful.

Current Employee - Rental Manager in Clarinda, IA
    Current Employee - Rental Manager in Clarinda, IA

I have been working at True Value full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company is great always allowing you to interact with other stores and members. Really great learning opportunities and working on making it easier for the members to learn. Really trying to modernize and grow the company. And always able to give you answers.

Cons

Sometimes their product decisions for sales not always the best need to get more creative but also keep it simple such as Black Friday ads.

Advice to Management

Create opportunities for retailers the ability to grow into corporate and or ownerships so that the young people can create careers.

10. Financial Analyst

I worked at True Value

Pros

Good Benefits. For a non downtown office the location is ok as it is right on the Blue Line. Relaxed work environment

Cons

Generation gap between employees, a lot of people at the tail end of careers and a lot at the beginning, no middle ground. The same applies to salaries. Very limited career opportunities after 2 years.

11. Great stating job

I have been working at True Value

Pros

Learned a lot about business. Enjoyed talking with customers and helping with their projects.

Cons

Store not growing. No grand stragety set in plan. Doesn't seem like they have things planned very well.