True Value Reviews

Tax Accountant

Former Employee - Tax Accountant  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Tax Accountant in Chicago, IL

I worked at True Value full-time for more than a year

Pros

Pay job growth value change hr people

Cons

Pay managers small opportunity small politics

Pay more

Lower management needs to improve communication skills.

Former Employee - Order Filler  in  Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Order Filler in Atlanta, GA

I worked at True Value full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

The benefits are good here.

Cons

Lower management does not have the proper manager employee communicating skills. I have read on here where they yell at you, and that is very true.

Learn to appreciate your employees, not stress them out. They play a big role in the operations of the distrubution center. Ask them how are they doing when you approach them, don't talk to them like they are nothing.

Fun

I worked at True Value

Pros

I had an avenue of employment.

Cons

Benefits...company didn't want to back employees with them.

Give better benefits.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Double standards between management and associates

Former Employee - Clerk  in  Springfield, OR
    Former Employee - Clerk in Springfield, OR

I worked at True Value full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good benefits, flexible work schedule

Cons

I was written up for raising my voice (out of frustration)to a manager, however, when a manager yelled and screamed at me (supposedly out of frustration) and I complained about it, I was written up. My supervisor said it was my fault that she yelled at me and therefore justified. Double standard. Twice during this disciplinary action, I had to ask my supervisor to lower his voice (he has a history of yelling at associates under him). This is common practice at the Springfield, OR RDC as upper management turns a blind eye to how their department managers run there associates. I was terminated on the grounds that I create a negative environment. How negative is it when managers and supervisors are allowed to yell and belittle their crew on a daily basis, as well as talk negatively about an associate to other associates. The Outbound Manager routinely told me about others' production rates, personal problems, disciplinary problems.

Wake up! Find out what is going on in your RDC. Knock down the silos and get involved in how supervisors treat their employees.

A well organized company seeking the satisfaction of their customers.

Current Employee - Customer Service  in  Jamul, CA
    Current Employee - Customer Service in Jamul, CA

I have been working at True Value part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Amazing customer service, also has the ability to order almost anything.

Cons

Some of their truck drivers are a little on the grumpy side.

Amazing management, although I believe that it is time to upgrade the electronic side of their company.

Traditional company in mostly good ways.

Former Employee - Assistant Buyer  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Assistant Buyer in Chicago, IL

I worked at True Value full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Working here and supporting individually owned hardware stores gave me better job satisfaction than working in other companies. The company is a long-term stable company for those looking for that sort of environment.

Cons

Being a relatively small company, the opportunities for advancement are minimal as openings occur infrequently. The nature of the business and store owners tend to be more traditional and slower to adapt to retail trends. Store owners can be very set in their ways.

Improve training programs to build a stronger 'bench' of potential mid-level employees

Great place to work, especially with the new CEO and direction the company is headed.

I have been working at True Value full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Personal growth/development, strong focus on values and culture, a lot of managers offer the opportunity to work from home every now and then when needed, everyone really treats you like family

Cons

Some managers aren't consistent, but that will hopefully change with the new direction of the company, pay could be more competitive
    (Especially for existing emoyees)

Listen to your teams - there are a lot of great ideas out there, often in the most unexpected places/employees

Helms True Value - Selah, WA 98942

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Selah, WA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Selah, WA

I worked at True Value full-time for more than a year

Pros

Friendly co-workers, decent full-time benefits. Rotating weekends for every employee which is nice since most retailers require employees to work most weekends.

Cons

To many managers, disorganized and conflicting direction from leaders. Don't get on the managers bad sides because they will screw you over some how, very vindictive. No advancement, no opportunities to advance in the company.

Design a better management philosophy, get an employee hand book and follow your own rules that you set forth, don't just enforce them on specific people. Learn to communicate and to be truthful and honest with your employees. Treat others like you would want to be treated.

Cannot advance your career here

I have been working at True Value full-time

Pros

PTO and work/life balance is pretty good

Cons

cannot advance your career here, management plays favorites, below market pay

Figure out how to keep your talent here! People are leaving this company for a reason

Going places, but growing pains expected

I have been working at True Value full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

True Value has a great mission and vision, to support locally owned businesses across the U.S. and around the world. The culture is warm, and believes in their cause and their core values. They're also preparing and getting aligned for growth.

Cons

It's been a slow-moving, siloed organization for years, and hasn't invested much in infrastructure over the past few decades (which I believe was out of a good intention to be stewards of member/shareholder funds. But you know what they say about "the road to hell"). They're vastly behind technologically, and while they're looking to change this, and change fast, the growing pains are going to be pretty harsh.

Keep up the current drive for increased collaboration and focus on the customer chain.

Worked for True Value? Contribute to the Community!