Trulia

Updated January 14, 2015
3.6

Trulia Founder & CEO Pete Flint
Pete Flint

Pros
  • Work/Life balance is actually pretty good for an indirect sales role (in 19 reviews)

• Also great benefits and perks with excellent training program (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • You have to talk to a lot of real estate agents (in 9 reviews)

• The only thing I didn't like about Trulia was the employee turn around (specifically for inside sales) (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

Exciting company with a lot of growth opportuniy

Current Employee - Instructional Designer in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Instructional Designer in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Trulia full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I started in Customer Care at Market Leader. From the beginning I made clear I wasn't going to stay in that department. Within 5 months I won a position in the Training department, which happens to be my dream job. The whole experience was so positive. My Customer Care supervisor was so supportive of my growth and determination to move elsewhere. Easily the best experience I've ever had working for an employer.

Cons

It can be hard to know what opportunities are available, as there isn't always clear communication. It can also be hard to find out what I can do to help support other departments or who to talk to to find out what sort of support those departments might need.

Be more transparent about how each department can benefit and be benefited by each other. Be clear about what is happening in the company, even if it might be a negative. More information is better than less.

Feel very fortunate to be able to work at Trulia.

I have been working at Trulia full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The people at Trulia are genuine, hard working, good work life balance, and smart. It's a great group of people.

Cons

It's hard to think of one. One con is that as the company grows we get to know less of the people in the office.

Keep doing what you're doing, providing opportunities for employees to learn and grow and contribute to our success.

It once was..

I have been working at Trulia

Pros

It was once a great place to work. Supportive sales managers, fun start up benefits, exciting and positive environment. I've learned a lot by being here but I was also new to sales. We're in a new building now that's conveniently located. Most of the good reviews are either in Denver or from other departments. Lots of booze-filled events, if you're into that.

Cons

Micromanagement. Managers will pace back and forth staring at your computer, talk in your ear while you're on a sales call and send text messages at 6:00 a.m. with irrelevant information.

Quotas fluctuate and go up constantly but pay outs are the same. One of the lowest salaries in SF for a comparable position elsewhere.

Managers are constantly playing favoritism and cliques are a result of it. If you're new, half of the sales floor won't even acknowledge that you exist. It makes for an uncomfortable environment.

Policies change based on whether the managers like you or if you're considered someone they party with.

Professionalism and transparency. Not only are we expected to sell through lying to most of the real estate agents but we're being manipulated into believing that it's okay. Managers need to stop playing favoritism and also fire the people that are contributing to a hostile work environment. Constantly raising our quotas will make us desperate to make sales and question our own integrity.

Good Place To Work

I worked at Trulia

Pros

Laid back fun environment...work life balance was excellent

Cons

favoritism with leads and assistance with coaching....had a lot of cliques

teach professionalism to management and have a set standard

Trulia Explosion

I worked at Trulia

Pros

Great culture, wonderful benefits, lots of smart driven people.

Cons

Agreed to be acquired, and killed morale.

AWesome!

Current Employee - Inside Sales in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Inside Sales in Denver, CO

I have been working at Trulia full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Strong base pay. Great atmosphere. Great training. FUN to come to work everyday. Also a ton of opportunity to make money and advance. I have worked at a lot of different sales jobs, and this by far beats them all. If you are considering a job at Trulia.....TAKE IT!

Cons

Tough leads to work during training. Be ready to sell!

None.

Great company, excellent benefits, good people, great income potential

Former Employee - Acquisitions in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Acquisitions in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Trulia full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Exceptional training and support, great company culture, strong income potential (top sales reps earning 200k), and the free snacks are awesome!

Cons

Schedule 7am-4pm not for everyone, but if you are an early riser, its really a great schedule.

Keep up the good work, you are a top level company, employees are luckier than they realize

Great entry career with decent opportunities to make great income.

Current Employee - Account Representative in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Account Representative in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Trulia

Pros

Stock options, great benefits, uncapped commission and bonuses, amazing work-life balance

Cons

Very low base pay for sales reps.

Increase base pay for the sales reps. Everything else is fantastic.

Wonderful Culture/Amazing People

Current Employee - Product Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Product Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Trulia full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Coming from another well-respected tech company the bar that Trulia had to meet was high, but since I have been here I have been impressed by the leadership, culture and fast-paced work environment. I am consistently challenged and feel my responsibility growing. Can't beat the fun times either! Love the happy hours and the pet friendly office :)

Cons

So far I haven't seen any!

A diamond in the rough!

Current Employee - Recruiter in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Recruiter in Denver, CO

I have been working at Trulia full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great environment! Casual, fun, and energetic. Lots of perks come with being a Trulia employee. 100% paid benefits, lots of PTO, employee stock, and a great work/life balance to name just a few. Lots of growth and career advancement opportunities. Leadership is awesome. They don't rule with an iron fist here. Approachable management who foster suggestions, ideas, and innovation. If you are looking for an environment in line with Google, Zappos, or any other tech/dotcom company, make sure to check these guys out.

Cons

None that I have experienced. A few bad reviews from angry sales people who haven't cut it. I almost didn't take the job here based on some negative reviews. Don't buy into these angry reviews. Trulia offers so many opportunities for success and employee satisfaction. It's only fair that they expect a lot from their employees. If you are in sales, you have a 5 month ramp up time and plenty of tools and resources to be successful. It's sales, so if you are not producing, then there isn't a place here for you. No different than any other sales position. There is a reason Trulia has been voted one of the best places to work for the last 3 years.

Keep doing what you are doing. For the people who work hard and are loyal, we appreciate all that you do for us. Thank you for being open to suggestions, for being mentors and coaches, and for making this a fun place to work.