Trulia Reviews

Updated August 13, 2014

3.7

Trulia Founder & CEO Pete Flint
Pete Flint

Pros
  • Work/Life balance is actually pretty good for an indirect sales role (in 16 reviews)

• Also great benefits and perks with excellent training program (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • The only thing I didn't like about Trulia was the employee turn around (specifically for inside sales) (in 10 reviews)

• Some people with past sales experience even struggle when it comes to selling to real estate agents (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

AMAZING!

Current Employee - Mobile Engineer  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Mobile Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Trulia as an intern for less than a year

Pros

It has been an amazing experience. There is a big focus on work and life balance. Everyone is very encourage. A lot of room for growth and learning. Best job ever.

Cons

There is absolutely no cons to the job.

Best place to intern in SF.

Current Employee - Intern - Hourly  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Intern - Hourly in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Trulia as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Great culture. Amazing People. Interesting projects. Everyone there treats you with respect. The company itself is just an amazing company to be at.

Cons

I honestly can't think of anything that is bad.

Keep up the great work.

AMAZING

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Trulia as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Ive been working at trulia for about 8 weeks now, and its amazing. Where do I start, everyone is reeeaalllly smart but no one is cocky about it, you can get help on any project at anytime. The management hang out with us regular employees, which makes you feel at home, really transparent. There are no set hours, you are just expected to get your work done ie no micromanaging yay. Tons of perks, really close to bart, I kind of dont even want to write this. I dont want a flood of people coming for my job, but trulia is just so awesome

Cons

I dont know, if I ever run into something ill be sure to edit.

I love you

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Daycare for Adults

Former Employee - Account Executive  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Account Executive in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Trulia full-time for more than a year

Pros

Snacks, location, benefits, low-impact, potentially rewarding when you make a big sale or when a sale you made actually winds up helping an agent.

Cons

You have to talk to a lot of real estate agents. When I was trained, I was told verbatim "90% of the time you will hate your job" and this rings true. Be prepared for a merciless grind. Most agents are neither nice nor smart, and there is a reason why they are not in another line of work.
    I watched management slip from a fun startup culture, to a bad impression of a corporate hack when the company went public, to a full blown shady sales empire with the recent acquisition news.

Innovate - or just keep doing the same thing, which amounts to preying on older, vulnerable agents. When you do innovate, make sure you are at least a year behind. "It's like they don't think about the consequences before they rush through the changes". Get ready for nonstop innovation, where the only constant is that the messaging is off, and the results hardly ever match up to the expectation set.

Make a Difference - "Trulia Cares", the corporate apologia aka clean up Ocean Beach day was literally cancelled because of the Zillow news. Trulia doesn't care. That beach is still filthy.

People Matter - People are numbers. In a sense, people do matter then, because only numbers matter. Which leads me to:

Act with Integrity - The biggest joke has been the gradual decline of integrity over the years at Trulia. Reps are rewarded for cutting corners, lying to agents, misrepresenting the product, as long as it produces numbers. They are rewarded with promotions, bonuses, puffed up titles, etc. Let another team handle the unhappy customers. Lots of attention to detail is put into the training process, which completely goes out the window once you have a quota to hit. Management will turn a blind eye to almost anything that gets the credit card. This shadow culture, where reps have to go outside the system in order to reliably put up big numbers, is my biggest disappointment. If you are trying to make an honest living, there are probably other tech companies that you would feel better at. You'd probably make more money too.

Customer Obsessed - Obsessed with taking their money, sure. Obsessed with delivering a quality product? Hey, it's a consumer driven site!

Trust and respect one another - What have you done for me lately? The collusion, fomenting (6:30 AM start time, half hour lunch, woo!) quota additions in the middle of the month, can make reps wonder. I trust you to get the sale, I respect you enough to not care how you got it.

The pay has gradually declined as well, of course. You really have to hit 150%+ every month to earn a decent living, and you're going to have to learn all the dirty tricks if you want to try that. They will always say that your payout is uncapped, but since you only see 56% of it, and you make a 35K base in the most expensive city to rent in the USA, you might be saying "Why didn't I learn how to write code instead so I could actually get paid!?" Well, don't worry, Zillow is going to have a ton of "efficiencies" to create with the engineering department, so I wouldn't get too excited even if you even did that.

Hopefully Zillow cleans house with management when the deal goes through and keeps the best reps, because there are some great people who do their best to not get caught up in the completely unethical sales practices that have taken hold.

There's also a really nasty vein of racist, homophobic, misogynist, etc. culture attached to the lack of integrity with management, which isn't a surprise. This makes it almost embarrassing to live and work in San Francisco. Lots of alcohol and drug abuse, which makes it a less than fun work environment. There are probably more than a few people here who really really liked the Wolf of Wall Street. The whole thing is a caricature of what happens when quantity of dollars becomes more important than quality of work. It was fun while it lasted.

Quit. And while you're at it, fire the entire marketing department, which doesn't do much but filter through the same old leads. Sit through a 45 minute webinar and convince me that's money well spent.

Great benefits, casual work environment, bizarre hiring practices

Former Employee - Customer Care Representative  in  Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Customer Care Representative in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Trulia full-time for less than a year

Pros

Decent pay and above standard benefits were great qualities, as was being able to wear jeans to work. Free beverages, a ping pong table, and ergonomic desks that can be moved with the touch of a button were nice perks. Direct managers and supervisors were good bosses,

Cons

After finalizing the merger with Market Leader, a reduction in force eliminated me and 25% of the department I worked in. "Eliminating redundancy in positions..." was the HR line. Two weeks later, they were hiring for the same positions again.

Hands down the best company I've worked at in the Bay

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Trulia full-time for less than a year

Pros

Everything from the interview process to my first few days writing actual code, really pushed my Engineering abilities to the limits. If you enjoy being challenged and working with very talented people this is the place to be.
    Other things I love:
    -Flexible-ish schedule
    -Commute/ gym reimbursement
    -No jerks policy. I mean seriously, so many cool and happy people here.
    -great healthcare coverage
    -work / life balance
    -Lunch roulette

Cons

-Very limited telecommuting opportunities.
    -your plate will be pretty packed most days, so there aren't as many opportunities to learn/incorporate technologies that will ultimately allow us to be more productive.

Our plates are usually too full. Hire more interns / junior team members for us to offload the medial tasks to, so we have more time to optimize our products/processes.

Otherwise GREAT work team!

Trulia is not only Customer-obsessed...they are Employee Obsessed too!

Current Employee - Manager, Strategic Partnerships  in  Mesa, AZ
    Current Employee - Manager, Strategic Partnerships in Mesa, AZ

I have been working at Trulia full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

My decision to continue to pour my talent, time and effort into Trulia continues to be re-affirmed by the many benefits they continue to provide employees. I spend a considerable time working- yet, I enjoy it because Trulia provides ways for me to be the best I can be. Gym memberships benefits, education benefits, events with co-workers that promote health and fitness...It isn't hard to see that Trulia values me personally and wants to ensure I am set up for success.

Cons

I work remote so I am not readily at all the company functions- so I do miss out on the camaraderie most of the time. However, when I am in town to collaborate with my colleagues- I feel appreciated and valued.

Keep communicating as you do- I love hearing about our team, our innovations and how we are delighting our customers.

Awesome place to be

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Trulia as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Working in the engineering department is a pleasure. No shortage of interesting projects and an agile development environment with weekly releases keeps everything interesting. The management hierarchy doesn't feel oppressive, and coworkers are both nice and smart. Flexible hours depending on team, frequent outings, lunches, and other ways of relaxing.

Cons

As an engineer, it takes time to figure out the nuances of the realty world, and even then there are people specifically hired to help teams understand.

Lousy company, lousy job

Current Employee - Account Executive  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Trulia full-time for more than a year

Pros

There are no pros to working at Trulia

Cons

Unrealistic quota and lousy pay with extreme micromanagement. All of the positive reviews are false. They are either written by management or human resources.
    Quotas keep on going up with payouts getting lower.
    During training the company will have someone from each "business line" talk to the trainees about what it's like to be a "Trulian". People will say things like "I'm the only one from Class 8 that's left and I'm in priority accounts and it's great." That's because nobody sticks with this garbage job with this garbage company that pays its people garbage. The base is below any other sales job's base and commission payouts are abismal.
    The lead source is an absolute joke. Agents don't want Trulia, don't need Trulia, and don't use Trulia.

There's no point in providing advice to management because they won't listen.

RUN!

Current Employee - Account Executive  in  Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Denver, CO

I have been working at Trulia full-time for less than a year

Pros

If you like to work at a bad company with low pay that asks its employees to put up good reviews on Glassdoor, then Trulia is the place for you.

Cons

There are a lot of challenges in working at Trulia. The pay is low, management micromanages, and the customer base does not like the product that Trulia sells.
    The company hires about thirty new sales people every month because people quit or get fired.

It's pretty obvious that stretch goals are set for the sales floor so the company can hit its revenue goals without having to pay commissions. Instead of paying people with "culture" try paying them with money.

Worked for Trulia? Contribute to the Community!