Trulia

Trulia Reviews

Updated Jul 22, 2014

Trulia Founder & CEO Pete Flint

Pete Flint

Pros
  • Work/Life balance is actually pretty good for an indirect sales role(in 16 reviews)

• Also great benefits and perks with excellent training program(in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • The only thing I didn't like about Trulia was the employee turn around (specifically for inside sales)(in 10 reviews)

• Some people with past sales experience even struggle when it comes to selling to real estate agents(in 5 reviews)

Trulia is not only Customer-obsessed...they are Employee Obsessed too!

Manager, Strategic Partnerships (Current Employee) Mesa, AZ

ProsMy decision to continue to pour my talent, time and effort into Trulia continues to be re-affirmed by the many benefits they continue to provide employees. I spend a considerable time working- yet, I enjoy it because Trulia provides ways for me to be the best I can be. Gym memberships benefits, education benefits, events with co-workers that promote health and fitness...It isn't hard to see that Trulia values me personally and wants to ensure I am set up for success.

ConsI work remote so I am not readily at all the company functions- so I do miss out on the camaraderie most of the time. However, when I am in town to collaborate with my colleagues- I feel appreciated and valued.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep communicating as you do- I love hearing about our team, our innovations and how we are delighting our customers.

Like a bad relationship

Account Executive (Former Employee) Denver, CO

ProsFree food, great health benefits

ConsGuarantee to raise quotas so more than half of the sales floor doesn't hit it and then writes them up for it. On a team of 40, 21 people missed the ridiculously high quota and you see nothing wrong theirs a problem.

When I started they had 10-12 people per training class now they have 30-40 with a very low retention rate.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't be so greedy help your employees, lack of growth many people just move from one department to the next.

Awesome place to be

Software Engineer (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsWorking in the engineering department is a pleasure. No shortage of interesting projects and an agile development environment with weekly releases keeps everything interesting. The management hierarchy doesn't feel oppressive, and coworkers are both nice and smart. Flexible hours depending on team, frequent outings, lunches, and other ways of relaxing.

ConsAs an engineer, it takes time to figure out the nuances of the realty world, and even then there are people specifically hired to help teams understand.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

The best company to work for!

Engineering (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsTrulia is located in the coolest part of the best city in the US, besides that their products are awesome and super innovative, they are really revolutionizing the real state world like no one has ever done it before.

Upper management is full of brilliant people that will lead the company to great success,and anybody that says the opposite, definitely don't know what they are talking about. The culture is awesome, everybody loves to work here and you can see that everybody is super happy to be here.

ConsNot many at all. I am thinking very hard to think of something but I cannot come up with something bad.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you are doing

Great opportunities and culture

Human Resources Intern (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsWorking at Trulia has a been an incredible experience. I have only been with the company for one month, but during my time I have been given a lot of learning opportunities and support. Everyone I have met has been encouraging and driven. The company values work life balance and makes efforts to keep its employees informed about latest news and provide feedback.

ConsCurrently Trulia has three offices in San Francisco. They are close to one another but still divided. This complaint is a minor and will be resolved soon as Trulia will be moving into one main office by the end of this year.

Advice to Senior ManagementOverall happy working at Trulia. Great opportunities. Understanding, caring culture.

Realistically optimistic - Review after 6 months of employment

Inside Sales Representative (Current Employee) Denver, CO

ProsAn extremely down to earth work environment. Most everyone is very laid back and outgoing. The training program is bar-none, one of the best from a grassroots approach. For the most part you're provided with the tools to succeed within your given position and continually encouraged to reach out for help when needed. A select group of Managers and Trainers their will be the ones to go to when you need them, find them.

ConsElitism - There are several different business lines within Trulia. If you're low on the totem pole, you're treated like as such. Lack of continuity - Too many mixed messages, your manager will deliver a different message to you than most of your training. Close minded - For the most part, if you're not "crushing quota" you're nothing more than expendable. The reality is, the ones "crushing quota" are numbered in the 5%-10% range. Trulia misses out on an immense amount of opportunities from those who are meeting quotas, but have industry experience and innovative ideas. Archaic - When it comes to technology from a customer interface, they are right there with anyone at the top however, there internal functions are almost negligently behind and in need of a severe overhaul.

Advice to Senior ManagementThose who are top producers don't always make great managers just as much as managers aren't always top producers. Strongly suggesting a training program for your managers to become better at managing. The reality is you have such a strong group of dedicated individuals who have been their since day one and supported the company during it's infancy. They're not afforded the same dedication from you in their infancy of management which is less than desirable.

Good info if thinking about working for Trulia

Account Executive (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsGood people working there. Managers are very open and always available for questions/help. Generally had a 1on1 meeting w/ manager once a week to discuss numbers and your current quota, pacing, projecting, etc.. Also great benefits and perks with excellent training program. However, if you do not like to cold-call 75-100 real estate agents/per day...this job is not for you.

ConsToo aggressive of quotas (sometimes). When I worked there- 2 parts to quota: 1. new subs (new subscribers) and 2. Rev (revenue). The quotas would change month-to-month (as most sales jobs) but would constantly change prices of products we offered and add or discontinue others. My advice- go in as an AR (account rep) vs. an AE (account exec). Yes base salary is a little lower but so is quota which will allow you to exceed your overall monthly quota to make more money vs being an AE and having trouble hitting numbers month in and month out.

Advice to Senior ManagementLess meetings. Generally would have 10-15 meetings per week when most of the info could be sent through email. Be more realistic with quotas. HIGHER quota payouts (which I know they have been working on).

Overall though: good managers!

Great possibilities...mediocre execution.

Inside Sales Representative (Former Employee) Denver, CO

ProsThe general population is an awesome group full of talent, enthusiasm, positivity, and energy. The food pantry is a nice perk and the fringe benefits were awesome. The benefits package is ample and the employee stock option is sweet.

ConsThe fraternity of middle and upper management leaves plenty to be desired. It is understandably hard to work in conditions when there are no precedents that have been set. That being said, people deserve management that is as motivated as those that work for them.

Advice to Senior ManagementSpend as much if not more time developing and supporting your staff as you do in closed door meetings.

good company good pay

(Current Employee)

Prospay, freedom of expression, flexible scheduling as it is pretty constant for a family man. Great benefits. Luxury of casual dress code and a .com startup atmospher.

Consconstant change of sales goals, sales mentality constant moving of office desks, and computers, goals of company change more than the seasons. Company uses a rah rah type of mentality to encourage sales reps to reach their rediculous quotas, instead of using actual tools to help employees reach lofty goals. Senior Mangement is a joke and cant sell the product themselves in most cases. Company cares about the stock of the company more than the value of its employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your emplyees better, stop treating your workforce like a revolving door. Stop hiring en masse. Help your employees succeed with coaching, call listening and tools, versus threats of termination or a rah rah speech. IT doesnt help and most of us hate it.

Down-to-earth leadership, accessible career growth, compassionate coworkers

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsAutonomy over your own work, visibility and responsibility in front of senior leadership, clarity of what success means. Transparent leaders and increasing brand awareness for the company at large are confidence inspiring. I left a well-regarded, Mountain View-based blue-chip Internet 2.0 company and came to Trulia because the people here are warm in their interactions and competent in their output; those qualities were clear during my interview process and have solidified from opinion to fact since I became part of the Trulian family.

Cherry on top: It's a dog friendly office! There are literally two dogs at my feet as I type this.

ConsWe have too much fruit in the office? I hate that I have no excuse to not go to the gym now that my company is paying for it? I'm grabbing at straws here.

Worked for Trulia? Contribute to the Community!