Trulia

Updated December 11, 2014
3.5

Trulia Founder & CEO Pete Flint
Pete Flint

Pros
  • Work/Life balance is actually pretty good for an indirect sales role (in 19 reviews)

• Also great benefits and perks with excellent training program (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • You have to talk to a lot of real estate agents (in 9 reviews)

• The only thing I didn't like about Trulia was the employee turn around (specifically for inside sales) (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

Work hard play hard!

Current Employee - Inside Sales in Centennial, CO
    Current Employee - Inside Sales in Centennial, CO

I have been working at Trulia full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great group of people along with a fun environment! Room to grow as long as your willing to work hard. Amazing benefits and good pay as long as your willing to put in the hours. Trulia does a great job training new hires to have a full understanding of their products. They also do a great job with giving new hires time to grow and succeed.

Cons

With any sales job it can wear on you over time but you receive plenty of vaca time to re-generate...

Great if you can keep your job long enough

Current Employee - Inside Sales in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Inside Sales in Denver, CO

I have been working at Trulia full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The friends you make. Pay is good, but only IF you it insane quotas and IF you last.

Cons

Constantly seeing those friends being fired. It is hard not knowing if your new best friend will make it through the week. I have now seen 7 of my close friends let go in the last year. Not to mention, they are going to drop us like flies when the Zillow deal goes through. Couldn't care less about our strengths. The second you stop overachieving their expectations you are forgotten, along with your accomplishments.

What you expect is INSANE! Stop killing people off!

Great place to work! Awesome culture, benefits, and atmosphere.

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Trulia full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Trulia is a great place to come to everyday. Not only does Management really invest in all the employees, the employees are shown how much they are valued by receiving stellar salaries, benefits and equity in the company. Engineering is an awesome team and we are highly valued here!

Cons

I have not experience any cons to mention as of yet. It is a positive place with positive people! Engineering is a collaborative environment where we can learn and work with cutting edge technologies.

Keep doing a great job and continue to inspire the employees!

You will love here

I have been working at Trulia as an intern

Pros

Get a chance to build interesting projects at Trulia. Learn a lot from working in wonderful team. Help me improve skills and knowledge.

Cons

They don't provide lunch on daily bases, which makes people who don't like to cook little harder to find place to eat everyday.

Great benefits & culture

Current Employee - Director in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Director in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Trulia full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Trulia has a great culture and benefits.

People bring their dogs to work and there are monthly rooftop happy hours that are fun.

Other cool things:
    Innovation week- this is when the Engineers and anyone in the company get to work on cool new products for the company for an entire week

Mind Body Spirit Day- the whole company takes a day for fun activities like working out, getting spa treatments, and eating healthy food. At the end of the day, there is a happy hour

Summer Parties- This year we went to Great America for the day

Bring your kid/parent to work day- Not only can you bring your kid, but there is also a day where your parents can come to the office

Learning/Training Rings- Small groups to learn special skills/new things

Cons

In between three buildings right now but moving everyone into a new building in October.

As we grow, keep the cool vibe

Great place to work!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Trulia full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great management
    Fun and relaxing work environment
    Great work-life balance
    Great benefits - Unlimited vacation
    Pet-friendly!
    We are moving to a new building in November!

Cons

IT can be very difficult to communicate with and easy tech issues may take days to get done.

Other than that I don't see many cons.

A continued downhill slide

I worked at Trulia

Pros

Good benefits
    Free food
    Parties on a regular basis

Cons

You will have a non stop grind of calling real estate agents all day long. Everything you do will be measured in minute detail - how many calls you make, how much time you spent talking to each person, how much time you spent wrapping up after a call, and so on.
    The vast majority of the agents you will call on have either already been burned by Trulia, or work with people who have been burned. Trulia does work for some agents, but the numbers are few and far between. Be prepared to get hung up on and or cussed out by supposedly "warm" leads. The marketing dept is a complete joke. They grind out initiatives that fall flat every time and will do nothing more than waste your time. And on top of all of this, you'll barely make any money. And if there is something you mention that is stopping you from being successful, you'll be told if you don't like it, find somewhere else to work.

What difference does it make anymore? Zillow is buying Trulia and they will establish the new order. Hopefully, Zillow will fire most of the terrible management and bring in some fresh blood.

Good people, good environment :)

Former Employee - Data Scientist in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Data Scientist in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Trulia as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Really flexible schedule, interesting projects, great awesome people.

Cons

There were not much cons.

Trulia cares far more about its Shareholders than its Employees and its Customers/ Agents - IMPACT values are a joke!

Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Denver, CO

I worked at Trulia full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The benefits were outstanding and the hours were great - but it's simply a call center disguised as an office.

Cons

Everything else. Upper and mid-level management are micro-managers who are clueless about selling the product and motivating their teams. The product is a joke....Agents beware: 100% of a market means nothing. Waitlists are misleading and there's probably a good reason why your zip opened up - someone else let go of it because it did not work for them! Quotas are unrealistic and change regularly. Rarely are they shared until the month has already started. This company was a pleasure to work for at first. Then greed set it and the entire culture changed. The only people / employees who are making money are the shareholders, managers and salaried employees. If you are considering a sales position at Trulia, you would be better off applying at McDonald's because that's about how much you will make with your hourly wage and NO commission paid!

Return to your roots and stop lying to your employees and your customers. This was a great company before it went public and the the Strategics Manager was brought in. This man will look you in the eye and tell you how great you are. He will wax poetic about how his employees' families are what keep him up at night worrying.
    What keeps him up at night is the task of sharpening all of the knives he drives into his subordinates' backs.

Ask Questions. Ask a lot of Questions

Current Employee - Account Executive in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Trulia full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The departments are great. Professional, creative talented, and hard working. The only department that does not meet up to this is sales/acquisitions

Cons

Transparency is not something the leadership team is used to on the sales floor. If you are applying for a job in acquisitions ask a lot of questions. I mean a lot of questions. Ask questions like what are the realistic salary expectations and how is bonus structure set up. Ask questions like how often does it change? They change a lot. What happens if you do not meet expectations and how often does that change? Then ask about the management staff. Some of them act like used car salesmen, most of them are helicopter managers and buzz over you, another one is a jittery spaz, aka a lot of drugs but HR seems to look the other way, constantly micromanaging you through 6AM texts to make sure we get to work. All of the managers seem to tolerate people being late, hung over, and people being entitled. The management team will also look the other way if you are doing something shady but you are making sales. If you have a trip planned in your 6 months there is no such thing as quota relief and management makes you feel guilty about taking any time off including sick days because we have an obligation to the stockholders If there is a company event the sales management team discourages you from going even if you are doing well. Training is a joke. Learn everything you can on your own and not from those around you. I have been there for almost a year and the thing that is consistent is the endless amounts of dials, horrible quick sales pitches, and new scripts to guilt agents into buying. You do not learn any new skills other than to close hard and fast. This is a boiler room environment. Take this job if you need money and do not have a degree because if you do it is not valued on the sales floor. Word of advice, just read the script.

Clean up your act and let HR get involved. People should not be afraid to go to them because you make promises that things will change. Do not text us in the morning before work. Give us something to learn and the skills for future career opportunities.