Truman Medical Centers

Surgery Authorization Specialist

Current Employee - Surgery Authorization Specialist in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Surgery Authorization Specialist in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Truman Medical Centers

Pros

The employees are great. The bosses work with you and care more than just employee/employer relationship.
    The insurance is awesome!!!

Cons

The pay, people call in alot

Give more atta boys and not what you do wrong every 5 seconds.

Medical professionals pay heed

Former Employee - Medical Professional in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Medical Professional in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Truman Medical Centers full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

in the beginning, it seems like the company may care about you.
    If you want to just "put in your time to collect a paycheck" then this could be the place for you

Cons

the longer you work there the less you find the professional support you need. Transferring out of what you think may have become an apathetic department does not necessarily result in hospital change of attitude.

a lot has been said but turnover of the better employees is great as they move on to more respect at other institutions

"Where have all the leaders gone", best Lee Iacocca Quote

Former Employee - Medical Offices Staff in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Medical Offices Staff in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Truman Medical Centers full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Increased share value, increased board and corporate bonuses

Cons

Decreased number of employees with consistent annual cycles without raises and possible job loss and early voluntary job exit programs that began with employees’ having 25 years or more of service then 15 years of service and in 2014 the 10 years of service or group.

Read the more Lee Iacocca to improve the quality of care and witness the return of patients via quality that cares.

As a Licensed Qualified Mental Health Professional I work with people struggling with chronic MI, SA, & homelessness.

Current Employee - Licensed Qualified Mental Health Professional in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Truman Medical Centers full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good pay. Monday-Friday 8-4:30pm. Ability to independently manage my own caseload. Advocacy for an extremely vulnerable population.

Cons

Its an inpatient/hospital setting, so I work some holidays as well as the day before and after Thanksgiving & Christmas (pending no prn coverage). Unpaid overtime often required due to the volume and intensity of the work.

When you take care of your employees, they will perform better and overall be more productive. Much improvement needed in this area.

Provided a good living for many years

Former Employee - Clinical Team Leader in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Clinical Team Leader in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Truman Medical Centers full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Professional Staff very dedicated to the mission of the organization.

Cons

Service workers in the organization did not seem to reflect the dedication demonstrated by the professional staff.

Culture change is a top down movement, senior leadership needs to be highly and frequently visible to all workers in order for the message to be clearly understood and realize this is a goal the corporation is dedicated to .

An excellent place to practice medical social work.

Current Employee - Senior Social Worker in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Senior Social Worker in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Truman Medical Centers full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The Social Work department is still run by social workers, not by nurses, which is not the case for most other hosptals in the area. Very supportive supervisor and director.

Cons

Working with the population that frequents the hospital can be emotionally demanding at times.

Offer more paid continuing education opportunities to staff.

Opportunities for career growth

Former Employee - RN in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - RN in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Truman Medical Centers full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Diverse patient population, nursing experience, exposure to advanced skills, on boarding for new grad nurses, benefits.

Cons

Downtown, lots of newer nurses, RN turnover, shifting priorities of leadership, financial challenges. At times can be challenging to work with so many medical students and residents.

Keep RN salaries with the market. Continue to support staff through rounding and genuine listening. Some nursing units are run very well, others struggle with staffing and leadership visibility. Recommend on going leadership development for nursing directors, and entry level nurse leaders should be paired with a mentor.

Truman Medical Center is a fantastic place to work as an OT within a team-oriented and welcoming environment.

Former Intern - Level II Occupational Therapy Fieldwork Student in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Truman Medical Centers as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

There is a strong team approach. Truman is fantastic to their employees.

Cons

I honestly cannot think of any cons.

I feel that the values and culture of Truman Medical Center are strong and need no revisions.

Truman Medical Center is an overall good health care provider for the community.

Former Employee - Senior Social Worker in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Senior Social Worker in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Truman Medical Centers full-time (more than a year)

Pros

GOOD health benefits must stay with Truman system. My supervisor and director of my department were supportive during a health care issue. I like the weekly farmers market. Truman strives to provide quality health care and access to healthcare for the community. Good working environment.

Cons

High volume of people with needs.

A company that genuinely cares about the patients and the community.

Current Employee - QUALIFIED MENTAL HEALTH PROFESSIONAL in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - QUALIFIED MENTAL HEALTH PROFESSIONAL in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Truman Medical Centers full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I feel very well supported by my supervisors and they understand community and it's needs. They've helped me to grow and allowed me to incorporate my passions into my work. The leadership I interact with in Behavioral Health is on point. One of the best benefits is that any medical service you have done at Truman is free - they wave the co-pay and deductible. Need a CT scan? Free. Have a baby? Free. After a year of working in certain jobs within the Behavioral Health department you are eligible for a program called Career Ladder in which you select things that you will do above and beyond your current job - then six months after showing that you are doing them, you get either a 3% raise or a 7%-10% raise depending on how many things you select to do.

Cons

Everything I would complain about it rather petty and program specific. The one major thing is that our annual cost-of-living increase you get at your performance review is low (typically it's 3%). It's been 1%-1.5% for the last couple of years. It all depends on how the budget looks. They typically announce it sometime towards the end of the fiscal year. Word on the street is that we may get a 2.5% this year, but it's not clear and I won't be holding my breath.

Increase the cost-of-living increase back to the typical 3% - I know, I know, the budget doesn't support it. However, it has in the past for many years. If you can't increase cost-of-living provide another benefit to supplement, more paid time-off? Another holiday off a year?