Truman Medical Centers

Updated November 11, 2014
Updated November 11, 2014
3.6

Charlie Shields

An excellent place to practice medical social work.

Current Employee - Senior Social Worker in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Senior Social Worker in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Truman Medical Centers full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The Social Work department is still run by social workers, not by nurses, which is not the case for most other hosptals in the area. Very supportive supervisor and director.

Cons

Working with the population that frequents the hospital can be emotionally demanding at times.

Offer more paid continuing education opportunities to staff.

Truman Medical Center is a fantastic place to work as an OT within a team-oriented and welcoming environment.

Former Employee - Level II Occupational Therapy Fieldwork Student in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Truman Medical Centers as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

There is a strong team approach. Truman is fantastic to their employees.

Cons

I honestly cannot think of any cons.

I feel that the values and culture of Truman Medical Center are strong and need no revisions.

A company that genuinely cares about the patients and the community.

Current Employee - QUALIFIED MENTAL HEALTH PROFESSIONAL in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - QUALIFIED MENTAL HEALTH PROFESSIONAL in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Truman Medical Centers full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I feel very well supported by my supervisors and they understand community and it's needs. They've helped me to grow and allowed me to incorporate my passions into my work. The leadership I interact with in Behavioral Health is on point. One of the best benefits is that any medical service you have done at Truman is free - they wave the co-pay and deductible. Need a CT scan? Free. Have a baby? Free. After a year of working in certain jobs within the Behavioral Health department you are eligible for a program called Career Ladder in which you select things that you will do above and beyond your current job - then six months after showing that you are doing them, you get either a 3% raise or a 7%-10% raise depending on how many things you select to do.

Cons

Everything I would complain about it rather petty and program specific. The one major thing is that our annual cost-of-living increase you get at your performance review is low (typically it's 3%). It's been 1%-1.5% for the last couple of years. It all depends on how the budget looks. They typically announce it sometime towards the end of the fiscal year. Word on the street is that we may get a 2.5% this year, but it's not clear and I won't be holding my breath.

Increase the cost-of-living increase back to the typical 3% - I know, I know, the budget doesn't support it. However, it has in the past for many years. If you can't increase cost-of-living provide another benefit to supplement, more paid time-off? Another holiday off a year?

Access Representative

Former Employee - Contact Center Patient Access Representative in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Truman Medical Centers full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

great job and great people and benefits

Cons

none at this time from me

awesome management team

Truman Medical Center is an overall good health care provider for the community.

Former Employee - Senior Social Worker in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Senior Social Worker in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Truman Medical Centers full-time (more than an year)

Pros

GOOD health benefits must stay with Truman system. My supervisor and director of my department were supportive during a health care issue. I like the weekly farmers market. Truman strives to provide quality health care and access to healthcare for the community. Good working environment.

Cons

High volume of people with needs.

Great place to get into the healthcare industry

Current Employee - Patient Accounts Supervisor in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Patient Accounts Supervisor in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Truman Medical Centers full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

My director gives advancement and educational opportunities to those who want to advance or broaden their knowledge. This individual has proven to be results driven which requires the entire staff to meet standards and learn new concepts which is great.

Cons

Lack of numerous resources with credibility is not always available. It seems to be that everyone is out to cover themselves at all times.

Management should reward excellent team members to increase morale. Great consideration in creating a development plan for those employees interested would keep employees happy.

My job is rewarding and I love coming to work everyday.

Current Employee - Medical Assistant Oncology Center in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Medical Assistant Oncology Center in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Truman Medical Centers full-time (more than an year)

Pros

We help the less fortunate.

Cons

Working with people who should not have got into healthcare.

Allow qualified individuals to perform certain procedures instead of tasking them to only designated level of certification. There are many procedures that I learned in the Army but in the hospital setting I can not perform them.

Experience has been a positive one. wish pay was better

I have been working at Truman Medical Centers

Pros

free health care when recieved at truman facility

Cons

pay. Nurses recieve a higher shift differential, a shift differential for an entire shift, where as techs only recieve a shift differential for partial shift, and less than half of shift differential vs nurses

Excellent. Plenty of opportunities for promotion and growth.

Current Employee - Director in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Director in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Truman Medical Centers full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Management makes you feel supported. Innovation is a plus.

Cons

Sometimes multiple changes at once

Come around more

Good to know you're doing something special when you go to work

Current Employee - Contact Center Patient Access Representative in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Truman Medical Centers full-time (more than an year)

Pros

good pay for the customer service industry, great health benefits, dedicated to patient-care and doing what's right.

Cons

Favortism is somewhat of a problem now and then. While Truman is working to extend it's reach to all in the community, the majority of our patients are from low income situations. This translates to a variety of issues you might run into with each patient you assist.

Look around you. Many of your employees are being under-utilized simply because their education or past employment history don't contain the "keywords" the HR job description requires. See the individuals you work with then you'll be able to understand their strengths and allow them to grow faster and better. Win-win!