Truman Medical Centers

Updated November 11, 2014
Updated November 11, 2014
3.6

Charlie Shields

Provided a good living for many years

Former Employee - Clinical Team Leader in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Clinical Team Leader in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Truman Medical Centers full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Professional Staff very dedicated to the mission of the organization.

Cons

Service workers in the organization did not seem to reflect the dedication demonstrated by the professional staff.

Culture change is a top down movement, senior leadership needs to be highly and frequently visible to all workers in order for the message to be clearly understood and realize this is a goal the corporation is dedicated to .

An excellent place to practice medical social work.

Current Employee - Senior Social Worker in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Senior Social Worker in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Truman Medical Centers full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The Social Work department is still run by social workers, not by nurses, which is not the case for most other hosptals in the area. Very supportive supervisor and director.

Cons

Working with the population that frequents the hospital can be emotionally demanding at times.

Offer more paid continuing education opportunities to staff.

Opportunities for career growth

Former Employee - RN in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - RN in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Truman Medical Centers full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Diverse patient population, nursing experience, exposure to advanced skills, on boarding for new grad nurses, benefits.

Cons

Downtown, lots of newer nurses, RN turnover, shifting priorities of leadership, financial challenges. At times can be challenging to work with so many medical students and residents.

Keep RN salaries with the market. Continue to support staff through rounding and genuine listening. Some nursing units are run very well, others struggle with staffing and leadership visibility. Recommend on going leadership development for nursing directors, and entry level nurse leaders should be paired with a mentor.

Truman Medical Center is a fantastic place to work as an OT within a team-oriented and welcoming environment.

Former Employee - Level II Occupational Therapy Fieldwork Student in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Truman Medical Centers as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

There is a strong team approach. Truman is fantastic to their employees.

Cons

I honestly cannot think of any cons.

I feel that the values and culture of Truman Medical Center are strong and need no revisions.

Truman Medical Center is an overall good health care provider for the community.

Former Employee - Senior Social Worker in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Senior Social Worker in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Truman Medical Centers full-time (more than an year)

Pros

GOOD health benefits must stay with Truman system. My supervisor and director of my department were supportive during a health care issue. I like the weekly farmers market. Truman strives to provide quality health care and access to healthcare for the community. Good working environment.

Cons

High volume of people with needs.

A company that genuinely cares about the patients and the community.

Current Employee - QUALIFIED MENTAL HEALTH PROFESSIONAL in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - QUALIFIED MENTAL HEALTH PROFESSIONAL in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Truman Medical Centers full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I feel very well supported by my supervisors and they understand community and it's needs. They've helped me to grow and allowed me to incorporate my passions into my work. The leadership I interact with in Behavioral Health is on point. One of the best benefits is that any medical service you have done at Truman is free - they wave the co-pay and deductible. Need a CT scan? Free. Have a baby? Free. After a year of working in certain jobs within the Behavioral Health department you are eligible for a program called Career Ladder in which you select things that you will do above and beyond your current job - then six months after showing that you are doing them, you get either a 3% raise or a 7%-10% raise depending on how many things you select to do.

Cons

Everything I would complain about it rather petty and program specific. The one major thing is that our annual cost-of-living increase you get at your performance review is low (typically it's 3%). It's been 1%-1.5% for the last couple of years. It all depends on how the budget looks. They typically announce it sometime towards the end of the fiscal year. Word on the street is that we may get a 2.5% this year, but it's not clear and I won't be holding my breath.

Increase the cost-of-living increase back to the typical 3% - I know, I know, the budget doesn't support it. However, it has in the past for many years. If you can't increase cost-of-living provide another benefit to supplement, more paid time-off? Another holiday off a year?

Access Representative

Former Employee - Contact Center Patient Access Representative in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Truman Medical Centers full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

great job and great people and benefits

Cons

none at this time from me

awesome management team

Great staff, needs leadership

I have been working at Truman Medical Centers full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Talented passionate staff care about patients first

Cons

Communication of upper level management is lacking, chaotic work environment

Communicate clearly the direction of organization, invest in developing talent and leadership within organization.

A great oppertunity to learn nonconventional way of thinking

Current Employee - Clinical Team Manager in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Clinical Team Manager in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Truman Medical Centers full-time (less than an year)

Pros

There are many opportunities to learn non -conventional ways to minimize loss and increase efficiencies. Lots of opportunities due to turn over.

Cons

It is a hospital that claims to want to change yet is self limiting and relly does not want to change. They are their own worst ememy. Asked to develope and implement many impossible tasks and process. There are almost no financial reasources available to accomplish projects. Hospitial is run entirely by finance. Say they care about patients but are really more concerned with productivity and money. Totally kiss the patients rear-end.

You will spend an enomant amout of time justifying productivity and the decisions that you make. Will spend many hours a week in meetings accomplishing nothing.

Not bad but certainly not the worse place to work for.

Former Employee - End User Computing Specialist - Senior in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - End User Computing Specialist - Senior in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Truman Medical Centers full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The people. Simple as that, the people there are incredible! I worked there in IT for almost 10 years and when I left felt like I left a good portion of myself there. The benefits were not too bad.

Cons

Senior management really did not interact nor engage the lower ranks of the hospital. I got the feeling that we were there servicing them half the time.

Come out of your offices from time to time and find out what we are doing. Sometimes we do need your help you know?